Forums > Social Discussion > personal preference against 'newbie advice'

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
so. i could have posted this in the 'doing a durbs thread, but its a significantly different opinion, i think, and thats kind of the point of the new thread anyway.

i LIKE double postings of threads.

i like that a new thread revitalises interest in something. and i think its rude to just tell people to do a search and not give them the help that goes with that.

bringing up a topic again(going back to an old one) means (usually) one or two posts will get made. bringing up a repeat topic means a whole different group of people get to talk about it. just cause we have one bakery in a town of 30,000 doesn't mean we automatically redirect everyone who wants a new bakery to that one, does it. different bakery, different style of cake.

in 'moves' i can see the point of linking to other threads. but i HATE seeing people say 'don't talk about this here. your opinion can't be nearly as good as the ones already posted over here' (not what it says, buit how it reads to many people)

why not just link, offer freindly advice, and let the people get on with posting or reading as they wish rather than making someone who is probably a bit nervous about the forum feel really, really small?

[/rant]

(small edit on advice of the lovely firepoise)

biggrin (this smiley automatically means i am a nice person and therefore should not receive any vitriolic replies)

EDITED_BY: bluecat (1139268969)

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Getting to the other side smile

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Quiet member #3686!

wink

I quite agree, if we told everyone to search, there would be no new discussion and things would be dead around here.

Though on the flip side, I hate to see 83568647976 threads about the "best music to spin to" tongue

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
yes, i know. but

'go and search, you fool' makes us look bad. can't you see that? hug

a new thread every few months would be fine repeat threads at the same time is a little different(imo). even for the dreaded 'music choice' thread, i think the response should usually be:

'for more opinions, look over here. otherwise, have a good discussion'

R

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
I think most people "newbie" or not should be able to use their head when it comes to whether or not to re post something that has already been done. smile
Although I don't mind sometimes when someone does a repeat post as it can be very time consuming wading through 100 odd posts IMO

Alot of 'newbies' dont generally go past the first page of threads so therefore don't 'see' that it has been posted before & don't like trying to wade through heaps of results that google pulls up.

I noticed with myself after I first signed up, after a few months I started to look around more & found more of the info I was after. ubbidea

From my experience (watching) age of member posting and/or computer experience seems to have quite a correlation with double posting.

I guess the main thing imo is to remember that we were all 'newbies' once.... tongue some of us just more recent than others
weavesmiley ubbrollsmile weavesmiley

Are you up for it?
wink;)

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
It depends on the thread. I get annoyed when I can remember something being posted before, but I'm happy if I can't.

That's probably why you get more people complaining the further back into the roster you go, because they remember more threads, and therefore get more shirty about repeat topics.

I think it could potentially solve lots of problems if the mods/admin stickied some of the more popular threads for a bit? Such as:

Social Chat: What Music do you spin to? (and all the others)
Social Discussion: Not sure actually... Maybe Religion?
Poi Moves: Never been in there, but maybe "Sparkley Poi" or somthing?
Staff Moves: How to make a new staff
Help: Insurance, Burns
Technical: Coloured Flames, Building new toys.
Other Toys: Maybe a Fire breathing thread? I don't go much in there either.

Just some examples. Maybe if there were threads stickied that came up again and again then there would be less double thread posting? Just an idea smile

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So, what music do you guys like to spin to?

tongue

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
rolleyes

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
The first thing I realized when I joined this site was that I should never create a topic in the forums that was about poi. I searched for all the topics that interest me, and for every topic there are usually 5 threads where someone says something like "hey, what you guys think about ropedarts" and they get 5 replies telling them to do a search, and a post with a link to a topic with 40 post that someone started long ago.

This kind of turns certain parts of the forum into searchable conversation archives, which is how I use the forum when I want to learn about the subject of this site (poi, staffs, etc.). Early on I would get the urge to actually talk about poi, but I managed to suppress it and just stick to reading old topics. I considered putting a post on the end of an old topic, but this always felt kind of silly.

The end result is that I use a poi forum to read about poi and only talk about other stuff, which is kind of weird now that I think about it.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
I dont always agree with threads being locked when there is a similar one from years before for the same reason.

Fair point Blueness

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
I think the whole point of a discussion board is to have discussions about moves and equipment and perhaps ideas will have moved on since the first thread was created. I think its a smarter idea to give a newbie advice on what he/she wants and then suggest a search instead of just becoming a 'do a search' sheep and constantly bleat about searches without thinking. I think its one of the flaws of this board.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
As I understand it, the point of getting people to look at old threads isn't to say

"nothing you say is as good as what is already here"

but to say

"if you put your contribution here, then we have all the information in the same place"

If you start a new thread about an old topic, it's easy for the old information to get lost. If you add to an existing topic, it adds the depth of everyone else's replies to what you're saying.

The question of how people are told this a different matter, and noone should be made to feel small.

monkeys ate my brain

Avzmember
38 posts

Posted:
Written by: mo-seph

As I understand it, the point of getting people to look at old threads isn't to say

"nothing you say is as good as what is already here"

but to say

"if you put your contribution here, then we have all the information in the same place"

If you start a new thread about an old topic, it's easy for the old information to get lost. If you add to an existing topic, it adds the depth of everyone else's replies to what you're saying.

The question of how people are told this a different matter, and noone should be made to feel small.

What she said....

Its not as if we are doing it to show are might over anyone else, but when someone is actually searching for stuff, I'm sure they would rather find what they were looking for in one hit then having to search 20 threads for something. If you keep all the related information clumped together then it makes it way easier to find in the future. Just like a filing system or something similar.... ubbrollsmile

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
ok.

then i guess what i am getting at is that most 'helpful comments' read like the first of those, and not enough like the second.

however i still feel like often better responses come in a fresh thread, rather than having the wieght of opinion that an old thread has.

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Here's an idea. If you start a new thread and you get some good advice in it, simply update the stickied "Helpful Advice Thread" at the top of the page. That way we can keep all off the threads that are helpful in one area and, if they are organised by date, then we can see how the idea has developed over the course of time. Perhaps you might get better responses in a newer thread but then you might be recapping what has already been said so if there is one diffinitive list of these threads then people can pick and choose the advice they want.

What I'm saying is instead of saying 'search' all the time, give a piece of advice -and- direct them to the sticky at the top of the page.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
I depend on what you are looking for.

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Well I recently bumped 2 quite old threads, and only got a few lacklustre replies. I wonder if it would have been the same if I'd created new threads for my questions?

I would experiment, but would probably get shouted at/banned wink biggrin

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Particuarly in (social) discussion I seem to notice this problem. (I'd still love that recipe help if anyone fancies it tongue)... I dont like the idea of 10 million duplicates because it *is* really hard to find what you want then when you're searching, and I think the old is important. But its also hard to keep old threads alive in discussion, at least, it seems to me in (staff discussion, anyway) they tend to get looked at a lot more. I don't know what its like in poi discussion as i've been in there maybe twice in the past few years...

There must be some manner of compromise, somehow... I mean, for example, someone made a new thread one time in staff which compiled the best stuff from several older threads on the same topic and then took new replies as well, and it was absolutly wonderful...

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

{anthrax}BRONZE Member
Look I've changed my title!
209 posts

Posted:
Written by:

I think it could potentially solve lots of problems if the mods/admin stickied some of the more popular threads for a bit? Such as:

Social Chat: What Music do you spin to? (and all the others)

This ones already been done biggrin At the top of the page in the read before posting faq type thing, theres a link to fave music to spin too rolleyes

anthrax.... it infects, then spreads..... fast

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: bluecat

i LIKE double postings of threads.

So instead of saying "Do A Search" the next time someone asks about c*l*red flames or sp*rkly poi why don't we just say "PM Bluecat"?

wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: Sethis

Well I recently bumped 2 quite old threads, and only got a few lacklustre replies. I wonder if it would have been the same if I'd created new threads for my questions?

I feel that often a new thread will get more response; possibly because, particularly if the existing thread is a bit of a monster in terms of page count, people are reluctant to get involved, as they're concerned about posting something that's already been covered (and consequently getting 'shouted at').

In a sense, a new thread is a 'new start' and I think more people will be inclined to get involved.

Written by:

)... I dont like the idea of 10 million duplicates because it *is* really hard to find what you want then when you're searching, and I think the old is important.

As a practical suggestion, how about adopting a well-structured 'bookmarking strategy' which will make all the threads you think are valuable easy to locate, and also enabling you to point newbies to relevant threads.

(That's not a critisism, or a suggestion that multiple threads are OK,simply a suggestion as to how to mimimise the inconvenience of existing multiple threads).

-----------------------------

Personally, I have experienced no frustration whatsoever with multiple threads on the same subject on HOP.

(Admittedly, the fact that I post mainly in 'Discussion' may be a factor here- I don't use 'technical' much for example, so can't really commnet if it's a big problem there- though, when I do use 'technical' or 'other toys', again , personally I am not troubled by multiple threads.)

For me, the things I consider important are-

1. Well-titled threads (where one look at the title can indicate whether it's likely to be of interest or not).

2. Threads in the right section- personally I find it a little annoying when 'chat' threads are started in 'discussion'- it also means a mod has to spend time shifting it.

3. Not being rude to newbies (or indeed, not being rude to non-newbies). Clearly a number of people have felt 'shouted at' and have felt bullied by being told to do a search.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

dani_babybooSILVER Member
addict
667 posts

Posted:
i feel the do a search thing always puts me off
i will not go in topics and post that are pages long as it means reading through pages of nonesence chat to find what you want and bores me, i trail off and think sod it and go find forums where i can chat and have new stuff going on...

new topics that interest me il post in and if there is jokes i see on other forums i bring them here to share and i learn from what i read.

enticed, entrapped, entombed.
intoxicated, impaled, ingested.
bewitched, beaten, broken.
enter the love realm...
insert ur token

o jej, ale bym ci wylizal ten pepek

stepped up promotions

ducky2108A little bit of a board whore
147 posts

Posted:
If I see people writing "do a search", it's always too late, as the post already exists, and will crop up in future searches, so you may as well try and make it useful and add some decent advice on the topic.

That's my view on it anyway. And, if you don't want to write about coloured flames and sparkly poi for the hundreth time, you don't have to even open the post, never mind contributing the ever useful "just do a search, it's been done before"

Ancient wiseman say "It is very strange person, who, when left alone in room with teacosy, does not try it on"

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
Hasn't this already been discussed before...

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
Yeah guys, do a search.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Written by: ducky2108

If I see people writing "do a search", it's always too late, as the post already exists, and will crop up in future searches, so you may as well try and make it useful and add some decent advice on the topic.

Actually, you can rate the thread so that it doesn't show up in searches, or so that it shows up near the top, cutting down on the useless repeat posts that show up in searches.

I'm very curious as to how many people do this, it doesn't seem to be that well known.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

147 posts

Posted:
I never rate threads, as I don't know how. There's something at the bottom (just above where you type the reply), but it's not a link.

Ancient wiseman say "It is very strange person, who, when left alone in room with teacosy, does not try it on"

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
It's a pull down menu, click on it and see the options. Choose one. Click Submit. Seems fairly simple to me...

rolleyes

Meh

147 posts

Posted:
That's as maybe, but I only see two pull down menus on my screen. The jump to and the post icon ones

{anthrax}BRONZE Member
Look I've changed my title!
209 posts

Posted:
You don't have enough posts ducky, you need to have over 50 to be able to rate posts.

anthrax.... it infects, then spreads..... fast

147 posts

Posted:
Oh right. How very odd. Well, you can't tell me off for not rating threads at any rate.

Page: