Borislavnewbie
19 posts

Posted:
I've read an article about dry fuels used in fire breathing (https://www.jugglingwithatwist.com/dry_fuel.html) and there is said that fire artists use also dry fuel for fire breathing (custard powder and lycopodium powder). Are they also dangerous for the health like the other fuels? Is the technique different?

PS: Sorry for the English, I'm from Bulgaria. smile

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
hi,

breathing powders is very dangerous. i have seen several similar household powders used, with explosive results.

im not sure about lycopodium powder though, but personally, wouldnt recomend it.

cheers, pete

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
I have one word that I always say when asked about powder fuels. "Don't".

I've never used then but from watching others it seems like you have less control over the flame plus the effects don't last as long as paraffin. If you want to see someone using lycopodium then go to the tutorials section of www.feuershow.de and click on the Feuer/Fire part. In one of the videos (Fire2 I think) you can actually see the lycopodium burning on the guys arm after he's completed his breath. Not sure whether its because the lyco' falls as it burns or its the guys technique but if there's a risk of that happening with solid fuels then I will personally stay away from them.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

Borislavnewbie
19 posts

Posted:
Yes, I'm aware of all the risks of fire breathing and also thought that powder fuels would be more dangerous. Anyway, I won't try fire breathing.

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Sensible guy. I wasn't having a dig at you by the way. I just try and make sure people know exactly what they're getting themselves into when they start fire breathing as most of the members here do (especially Pele). Thankfully HoP also automatically links to the article on breathing at every chance it gets.

welcome Welcome to HoP. Why don't you post in the intros section so that we can get to know you a bit better.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't