Forums > Social Chat > Aaaugh! The mirror is scary!

Login/Join to Participate

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ever look in the mirror and scare the living daylights out of yourself?

I am in desperate need of a shave and a haircut. That and I haven't seen sun for the last six months, so I look white as a zombie.

Between that and my normally intense facial expression combined with my sleepiness, I darned near peed my pants I gave myself such a fright.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
I too need a haircut, I'll get one this thursday. My hair is attempting the beginings of a fro and it's scaring me. Shaving wise I wish I had a better razer, I mean the mach 3 is cool but I prefer electric razors. My cheap one died and I don't have enough money to buy a high quality one.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
man electric razors eat my face. It would be gentler to burn my hair off with a torch.. or maybe my mach 3.

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
See, I havn't figured out which works better for me. The mach 3 worked swell for like a week, now it sucks the big one. And yes, I change the blades, though for the time blades last I question whether it's really worth it or not. I'm tempted to buy a cheap razor with blades that last like only 2 times than go dull, but cost a dime a dozen. My experience with the electric was great in the beginning but than the thing died, that was a few years back, so I don't know if they still work for me or not.

shaving is mildly annoying

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Heh I reuse my mach3 blades forever.

I think it's cheaper then a cheap razor because for me the blades last so bloody long and cheap razors crap out so much that the with amount I buy in the same time frame as when I need to replace mach 3 blades ive already saved money.

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
How long is bloody long? I'm curious because I didn't think they lasted that long but everybody I know tells me they do.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
months. I only shave like once a week though.

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Ahh, alright. Next time I put in a new blade I'll have to record how long it lasts. I shave daily, damn facial hair, and I swear I notice the blade dulling significantly within the first week.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I think it might depend on how thick your beard is. My beard isn't thick, but the hair is really gnarly. So I use the Mach3 and I have to change blades about once a month.

-Mike

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Hmmm, this whole thing is going to take some research. I don't know whats going on with my facial hair, but numbers like every month or so is definitly way longer than any blade of mine has lasted.

Hmmmm, very very interesting

Any reason half the things on this site arn't showing up as of now? The top tool bar thingy is gone as are the instant stuff below. Probably just a little qlitch.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I was tempted to get a Mach 3, but then realised that since I can only get 2 shaves out of a normal razor (about a week apart), I wasn't prepared to pay that much money.

What I want is a straight edge razor, but I really, really don't trust myself to be awake enough in the morning to hold it anywhere near my neck

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Sounds like you went 'main Stream' on us and stopped going against the grain. (Hair cut boy)
I did it a few weeks ago for a ski job
I am wasted and cant type.
Poor boy
at least you are still spinning.
Fire sopirit

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I shaved my head bald in August and I was trying to grow my hair out as long as I could. There was one factor I didn't take into account: chlorine. I spend enough time in pools that my hair is all whispy and bleached and it doesn't look very good because my hair is naturally curly. But it's so destroyed that it doesn't curl anymore, it just sort of poofs.

So sometime soon, it's getting sheared off.

I also grew out my sideburns. But I look like a total dork with long sideburns. I need to face it, I look best in a clean, conservative haircut and with no facial hair. You'd think that with this being the third time I've played with growing facial hair and all, I'd have figured this out....

-Mike

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
apparently i've needed a bloody haircut for about 4 years

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
Ha...Mike, I did the same thing. Shaved it in September, now going for dreads if I have the patience.
Non-Https Image Link

Quick poll...when shaving the face, who here goes with the hair and who against it?

Put me in the against pool. 'tis the only to actually feel smooth.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I just go agaisnt if im lazy, If Im trying to look good (which is never) I actually shave with agaisnt and perpendicular to the grain of the hair.

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
I go with it for the first swipe, than against it for the next attack, than everywhich way until I have that somewhat clean shaven look I so desire. Too bad that look doesn't stay around, I get scruffy by afternoon Not terribly scruffy, but still not too profesional looking.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I always shave twice. First time with the grain, second time against it. I heard the former Royal Barber (of England) interviewed on TV and that was how he said to do it, so I went ahead and tried it and it works really well. Really close shave, very little pain.

-Mike