PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Being the absolute non-patriot that I am I found this statement fascinating and true...and scary...

"There is a point where Patriotism becomes Hatriotism, and that is when it gets scary."

I thought it was very profound...especially because I live in area where it is pretty split between people irrate with the gov't and the Hatriots...and it really is un-nerving.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
I was having a discussion late last night with some lady after a party.

She was going on about how 99% of Muslims/Islamics wish for the destruction of Israel and the "western way of life". I was seriously appalled and saddened by the amount of discrimination as she carried on.

When I told her otherwise, that of all the Islamics I've been to school with, NONE have advocated destruction of the US, she merely waved it off as a fluke, or even suggesting that my Muslim friends were "jihadists in disguise".

Let's just say American "patriotism" is extremely bugging me right now. frown

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
booo for hatriotism frown its sad how true it is that people who give the most advice need the most themselves.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Yeah - I am NOT looking forward to the soccer championships in Germany this year as I already hear everyone talk of "us" winning/ loosing against "them"... rolleyes

"hatriotism" is "nazi" (an extreme form of nationalism) - no matter where it comes from and who articulates it.

And it's also very sad that the media contribute a great deal to it for the short term profit only...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
American patriotism is bordering on jingoism. It annoys me.

Willy - is bad for your health...

Loki_the_tricksterSILVER Member
Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
I agree Pele it is mighty scary out there these day's but then again when hasnt it in some way. For many years I've been into radical politics and I've been attacked by hatriotes,including police some of the worst hatriotes, and beaten on the streets for something as simple as wearing an upsidedown flag on my sweatshirt. What scares me most i think is the sheep like mentality of the majority of the population, to just blindly sit back and be spoonfed lies and halftruths from the media and obey obey obey. What un-nerves me is the stagring number of people who have confronted me,whether at protest, simply walking around, or family dinner, have actually said "How can you be against the war in Iraq? Don't you remember 9/11?" WOW.......some people actually believe that, in some twisted way they got that from the media and ran with it when in truth Iraq had nothing to do with it, the places to really look, otherthan Afganistan, were Egypt and Saudi Arabia but the U.S, is in bed with those countries so focus was taken off of them.
ooooops sorry started to go off on a tangent. i could talk about this stuff all day shrug all i ment to come say was I agree Pele smile and then leave you all with a couple of great quotes from Mark Twain.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, its time to pause and reflect."

"Patriot: the person who can holler the loudest without knowing what he is hollering about."
biggrin beerchug biggrin

My ADD makes it so that.....Ooooo SHINY.....wanna go ride bikes....wait....where am I.....

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
you're right, they are good quotes wink

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
Here's another:

"The love of one country always leads to the hate of another." - Aliyaho Pearce

Kinda says it all

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I had to google Hatriotism cuz I'd never heard of it before redface

I found this article, which nothing to do with the thread itself made for very good reading

https://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=39118
I don't really agree with it, I think the writer has misunderstood the whole point of the film, but that's enough offtopicness from me!

Let's relight this forum ubblove

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
I though hatriotism 1. Wasn't a real word, and 2. was actually referring to extreme patriotism, where support of your country is turned into hatred for all others.

Seems that article thinks hatriotism is being a "True patriot" while hating your own government and it's policies... Or have I interpreted that incorrectly?

Regardless, I get annoyed about all of it. shrug

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Written by: Prometheus

"The love of one country always leads to the hate of another." - Aliyaho Pearce

No more than the love of one person always leads to the hate of another....

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Loki_the_tricksterSILVER Member
Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
Written by: Sethis

I though hatriotism 1. Wasn't a real word, and 2. was actually referring to extreme patriotism, where support of your country is turned into hatred for all others.

Yep thats what I thought too!!! biggrin

My ADD makes it so that.....Ooooo SHINY.....wanna go ride bikes....wait....where am I.....

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
That is how he meant is Sethis.

That article is very different.

Kyrian, I do not believe that is true at all. I love many people in my life and I hate no one.

I think very few people truly love or hate politcal figures etc. They love/hate what they are doing, representing, "stand for", babbling about but that is not the person, it is the representation.

Pele

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
My good friend Sean Connery. In the very fine movie 'The Rock'

said

"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious"

Which I quite liked.

He was quoting Oscar Wild. But I bet he sounded way cooler.

smile

Love is the law.

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
damm!t, you beat me to it *menaces*

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
umm Pele, I think Kyrian was making the point that a Love of anything doesn't necessarily lead to hate of anything else, be it a country or person.

Damn these americanisms and their abiguous meanings! wink hug

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Between this and the entire juggling poll controversy thing I am now wondering...

Do you think that extreme Passion for one thing creates a disdain for others?
Or, more clearly I suppose..

Do you think/feel that extreme passion causes tunnel vision?

Pele

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
In the way that 'Love is Blind'?

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
Written by: Sethis

Seems that article thinks hatriotism is being a "True patriot" while hating your own government and it's policies... Or have I interpreted that incorrectly?

Regardless, I get annoyed about all of it. shrug

Hatriotism isn't a word in my vocabulary, it'sjingoism.

Willy - is bad for your health...

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
I think you can be incredibly focused on one thing, let's say love of your own country, and ignore/dismiss criticisms and rational argument that can be levelled against it.

What this does not mean is that you are then obliged to go about trying to change everyone elses country to be like yours, or start fights with people who disagree with you. It's perfectly possible to be really really passionate about something, without trying to force your opinions on other people.

Hypothetical example:

I think "The Matrix" is the best film ever. If asked, I will spout on and on and on about it's virtues. I will ignore all criticisms. But I won't start hating "Star Wars" or "Lord of the Rings" just because they are also popular contenders for the title "Greatest film of all time". I believe that people who think that way are mistaken, but I am under no obligation to force a change in their opinion.

See what I mean? You can be narrow minded without necessarily being hostile.

P.S. The Original Star Wars trilogy is obviously the best movie trilogy ever. Duh. wink ubbangel

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Another quote, from Brendan Behan I believe...
*Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings*

(and before anyone says, *no, that's a quote from Bob Dylan*.. I believe he took it from MrBehan... and then followed it with the line... *steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you king.*

Which is kinda clever.. stealing a line.. and then... oh, you get it...

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....