Forums > Social Discussion > So... The post count experiment. Thoughts?

Login/Join to Participate

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
Now that HoP have lived with out post counts for a while, was just just wondering how other people viewed the experiment. Personally I favour post couts.

I'm drunk, mock accordingly...

ubbrollsmile

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I prefer to have post counts. One good use of them is, on those occasions where a post is problematic in some way, it is useful to know if the poster is a newbie who may be unfamilier with what's acceptable.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
I dont mind either way, I find that I dont really even look at who posts, I just read it and sometimes look at the name.
Remember, you can still see peoples posts, just have to click on the user names to see their post count and rego number

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Written by: onewheeldave

... on those occasions where a post is problematic in some way, it is useful to know if the poster is a newbie who may be unfamilier with what's acceptable.

confused dave... what are you talking about? "acceptable" in which way under which circumstance in whose opinion? do you mean "acceptable" in the "terms and conditions" of HoP? or do you mean "acceptable" in what the community accepts and what it rejects?

To topic: Postcounts? Why (not)?

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Meh, makes no difference to me.

Incidentally, what have you been drinking young Domino? wink

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Makes no difference no me too. Personally I didn't pay much attention to them when they were up and don't miss them. I don't know, nor care, how many posts I have.

owd - surely you can just look at the reged date and get the same sort of idea...

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Written by: Domino

Personally I favour post couts.

Out of interest, why?

We still have post counts, they're just not so obvious anymore.

Personally, I'd be happy with them removed almost completely - they do let someone know how close they are to being able to change their member status, so I reckon that being able to view your own post count could be useful.

Otherwise, I don't think we need them - as already mentioned, the registered date also shows if someone's just joined.

On the question of if it's worked or not, I have to say yes - post whoring is a lot lower than it was, quite possibly because people no longer feel the need to prove themselves with lots of posts.

Having said that, it could also be due to the hostile backlash a while ago, although that wouldn't explain the relative lack of recently joined people posting crap just to get their post count up.

*tries to stop himself going off on a tangent and ranting about useless posts as well*

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Don't miss them ,never looked at them really when they were there. Now I just look at the member number.

The reduction in post whoring might be due to other factors than the removal of post counts though, so I'm not sure that one caused the other.

It's one of the few things that I really don't mind about. shrug

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
Written by: Domino

...post couts.

I'm drunk, mock accordingly...

Okay, everyone read it! Fooooooooooooooooool. biggrin

That said I'm happiest without post counts. They can feel a bit competitive at times.

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
I'd prefer it if there was a many-teired rating thing... like it says "Newbie" at first, then progresses further and further the more you post... the highest teir being "Jedi" or some such nonsense wink

Post COUNTS I'm not in favour of, but I find it a bit disconcerting to come to a new messageboard and have no idea who's been posting loads, who's as new as me, who only posts occasionally etc which join dates and post counts reveal... I know you can still access the post counts, but as I said, with so many members, I feel sorry for the newbs that they haven't got a simple reference in every post, unlike on most other forums.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
nearly all gone, I agree that its nice to come to a new board and see who else is around your level. Sometimes dates just dont work in the same way for that.

has it slowed postwhoring? hard to say considering some quite dominant postwhore threads have been locked.

I like the status quo. None on display in the boards, but can be seen in profiles.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

dani_babybooSILVER Member
addict
667 posts

Posted:
post counts and register dates mean nothing as i was here about 6 months before started using the forums...
when people see post counts they can establish if someone who is new and posts a silly question people know not to jump down there throats

i still get very confused and tend to avoid these forums a lot now as every post has either been posted before and you get jumped on and told do a search and when you have a laptop that wont load pages at times its hard to search, or your in the wrong.

enticed, entrapped, entombed.
intoxicated, impaled, ingested.
bewitched, beaten, broken.
enter the love realm...
insert ur token

o jej, ale bym ci wylizal ten pepek

stepped up promotions

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"when people see post counts they can establish if someone who is new"

Or those totally new people can whore themselves out to the different threads, thus boosting their post count, thus making them look as if they have been here longer.

shrug

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
"when people see post counts they can establish if someone who is new and posts a silly question people know not to jump down there throats"

If anyone starts a new topic thats been done before, that happens. ITs not like we single out newbies. Its just that only newbies do it.

Cos they're silly and all that.

And I don't think we "jump down their rhorats"... do we?

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

dani_babybooSILVER Member
addict
667 posts

Posted:
sometimes it is intimidating when the first thing everyone says is do a search or this has been done before its as if you dont belong cause you did not no these rules

enticed, entrapped, entombed.
intoxicated, impaled, ingested.
bewitched, beaten, broken.
enter the love realm...
insert ur token

o jej, ale bym ci wylizal ten pepek

stepped up promotions

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
Written by: Rozi

Incidentally, what have you been drinking young Domino? wink

I was learning the finer points of Real Ale and home made cocktails. It really was a mircle that my typing came out so well...

The reason I like post counts has already been covered, it gives you a flavour of people ages, thier experience and hopefully the level of their advice. It's also nice for spotting newbies that DoNt tYPe lik dis.

Meh. Anyways, I hadn't thought of the post whoring aspect.

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
Thing is, it isnt just new guys that post something that has been posted before, Ive seen older members do it.
Although, we are getting used to doing a search, and also adding in "i tried to do a search, but Im a bad searcher"

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
I personally liked the post counts. It was just an interesting thing to show who's been super active in the community, which I think is a good thing. The post count is still visable on the home page, but it was a nice little piece of info on the post pages.

It's not a huge deal, but it was just interesting to see.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
No post count.

I like it how it is now.

We'll switch back to post count, and people will start postwhoring again. And then commence the biatching and post yelling.

I just like member numbers wink

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I feel like I'm still missing the post counts...but that it's only a matter of time before I don't...

Yeah, that makes no sense.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
don't mind really... shrug

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
At first I missed them, but then i'd forgotten we'd even had them.

I definately prefer the way it is now, its good that you can see someones post-count if you click on their homepage.

Also I think the member titles do tell you a lot ie, the newbie or member that appears below your name before you reach 100. No matter how long ago someone registered, if they're still titled a newbie it means they haven't had much experience of posting on HoP, and that they may need help in doing searches etc.

If people are still having a problem with the do a search thing, then thats a different issue, but obviously something that still needs working on. Its not targetted at newbies as some claim, in fact from what I've seen, people are only' impolite' to to long-term members, who they probably know, and do it in a joky way, that others who its not aimed at interpret as nasty.

There maybe a couple of members who just post do a search, and don't post any results, but I think, these are few and far between, and I think recently, these is becoming less and less frequent.

I think the post count, definately made a dent in the post whoring, and also took a lot of pressure off new members who join. Alas, I confess that when I first joined I was a bit of a post whore, there felt a lot of pressure to get rid of that small number, so that you could feel like a member not just an outsider. I don't think that pressure is there anymore.

Anyway, I should go and do some work...

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson