hafsha1member
35 posts

Posted:
This is a "how do you do a move" question. O.k., the move is the one that is described under the "sent-in moves" section of the "poi lessions" section. It is the one about creating a wheel (sent in by Jo Derry). It reads as follows: "-I got shown this move in a nightclub under uv. It's easy but looks excellent. use short strings. You can start spinning at your sides then move your hands to the centre or start in the middle straight away. -Simply spin them forward in split-time. That's it! I've found the easy way to keep them spinning in the same plane (so they look like a bike wheel spinning in the air) is to move your hands round each other. -You can move the 'wheel' up or down or through your legs and you can spin it at an angle or horizontally." I wish I could do it! This is a move that I cannot seem to figure out how it physically works. I am not sure but the closest move that I have found to it is probably the windmill; but that cannot be done really in a circle (chasing), in one plane, on one side of the body (or can it?!). That is what I want to do. Please help. Hessam

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I do this move with fire right in front of my face. I don't exactly know how to break it down any further really. If you can do the nose breaker move, you can do this one.Nose breaker is where, in the vertical plane, you move your poi from the outside of your arms to the inside. Try to get them going in at the same time, that is so both poi are inside your arms if they are right out in front of you. Instead of bringing th poi back to the outside of your arms, continue the rotation on the inside, now move them into split time. Gradually move your hands closer together and you will be doing this. I have heard it called the buzzsaw, since that is what it resembles, a saw going around. I hope this helps. Good Luck! smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Oh and...stretch your arm out directly in front of you in normal swinging stance (that is, if you bend your elbow when you swing, then do so), with your poi in your hand how you grip them, with your other hand stretch your poi along your arm (or the natural swing path).Your poi head should be about an inch away from your chest, this way you ensure you won't really break your nose.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
i was thinking about this move today, while doing something similar to a corkscrew, but in the same plane and following eachother. it seems like i should be able to just bend forward and then would be doing what you described. well i tried it, and am afraid to say i failed frown after about a turn and a half they got tangled. i dont see how you would do this in split time, because when your left hand hits the 3 oclock position, your right hand would be hitting the 9 oclock position, and since left would be coming down and right going up (or opposite depending on direction) it would seem like they would tangle. any pointers? am i doing somethign wrong? tomorrow ill try it like you suggested, move them together slowly.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I think the problem here is that the move is easier than you think it is.Imagine the Poi heads are mounted on a bicycle wheel and that the strings are spokes. your hands are attached to pedals which attach to the hub of the bicycle wheel. then you 'pedal forward'.the Poi swing around directly in front of your body, forming a 'wheel' of fire. you can do it continuously fast, slow between your legs or whatever. My favourite move is to form a horizontal saw blade, and spin around and around, then turn it around the other way, and spin back the other way... smileAgain, the POi are turning continuously between your forwardly outstretched arms.Josh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
does this require spinning your body too? i tried some more today and have been having trouble even seeing how it could work. i can see if you have them following eachother closely, but if you have one on top and the other on the bottom, i cant see how they could keep from getting tangled without you spinning your body around as well.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I am at a loss at how to break it down any further...but I don't have to move my body to get the move to work at all. I wish you the best------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
shorten your strings..spin both directly in front of you to where the circles are parallel to the front of your body spinning either inward or outward.This works best if the are split-time for it helps you keep the rythm better because the strings are short.i imagine them as discs or plates...Now just experiment with them. move them around....try and take the dics and place them together on their flat sides..when i do this i am spinning them very fast. Can you do a corkscrew with short strings?? This looks good when combo'd with it.if you dont get it with all this awesome explination by Pele and [Josh]..dude it just wasnt meant to be.. grinyoull get it, and when you do...you will ask someone to slap ya..SUper'

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
wait, i think that comprehension might possibly be seeping into this thick skull of mine. are your hands opposite eachother with the "buzzsaw" in the middle? i was thinking that your hands would be in the same formation as when you do a butterfly, only the strings would be going the same direction. i really hope this is it, or i will feel stupider than a russian ox on a friday afternoon in a singapore karaoke lounge.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Woohoo!sounds like you got it...easy huh?but it is an interesting move...specially on fire smilenow try turning the 'buzzsaw' on it's side...and spinning round 360 (with your body)...thats my fav move with that technique smilespin on bro,Josh

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Yay Redbrother!Nice choice Josh!

Pele

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
thank you thank youtakes a bowi'd like to thank my mom... she's proud of me because of how i dress.

hafsha1member
35 posts

Posted:
I know I first posted this topic like a week ago and I am glad to see that other people not only HAD problems grasping this move but that they NOW getting it (including myself). Thank you all so much for the great (and repeated) descriptions; they helped SO much. I think my problem was just that I was trying to do this move as something I had seen before, remembered it wrong (it was along time ago), and was not open minded enough. Once agin, thank you all so much. I love this site!