Forums > Help! > Desktop publishing???

Login/Join to Participate

Helz BellzSILVER Member
lovin' it...
2,444 posts

Posted:
wave
I'm in the process of applying for new jobs. I've found one that sounds pretty good, but one of the essential requirements on the job spec is 'proficent in using In Design, or similar desktop publishing software'.

I've never done any desktop publishing though frown at my current job, I have an agency who do all that for me wink biggrin

I'm pretty IT literate, and learn new systems fairly easily.

Does anyone know anything about "In Design"? I searched on google and it's by Adobe, and apparently is 'serious competition to Quark Express' or so the website says.

So, my question to all of you is this:

- is desktop publishing particularly complicated?

I'm going to apply anyway for this job, as I have all the other 'essential' and 'desirable' skills.

But any info on this would be muchly appreciated! I can then try and blag my way through, if I do get asked for interview.

Thank you! smile

biggrin kiss hug

Live well, love much, laugh often...

Official O.B.E.S.E. cheerleader

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
Desktop publishing isn't very complicated.

In Design is soon to be the new standard software for desktop publishing, currently it's quarkXpress which is pretty easy to use. I haven't used In Design but i have used quark quite a lot. Photoshop is also used quite a bit. If you learn quickly then you'll be fine, quark and in design are easy to pick up and quite fun to use.

I did a module last term all about this and have a big training manual for Quark which i might be able to get a copy of and send to you.

Good luck!
hug

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Hels, let me have a chat with my sister later. I think she uses Quark though. If it is quark would her advice on that be of any help? I could get her to give you a ring if it is.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
hels,

one idea qwould be to go and download and trial in design at home ofr the 30 day period

https://www.adobe.com/products/indesign/main.html

there is the link, and you should just download it and play around to see what its like, once yyou hav edone that you an say that you can use it, you have a very creative mind, and yous hould be able to get cracking, and i think you have a serious amount of friends who could help you in londno.

If not you can ealiy pick up some tutorials off the net, at site like

https://desktoppub.about.com/od/indesigntutorials/

and then work your way through mini projects and stuff to help you on your way smile

hope ive been of some help

if you wnat il ldown load the app and play myslef, looks quite good, might be able to do some work

i think cole has experrience in desktop publishing, unless im wrong, maybe talk to him?

Step (el-nombrie)

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
I've used it quite a bit (I did all the PLAY stuff in it last year, but it never got printed....!)

It's not all that hard at all. There are a few things you will need to know about, but most of it is just making boxes that you fill with some sort of content, IE you can make a box with text in then make a picture box over the top and have the text flow about the image. If you can work that out you're half way there I think.

I think you shoud just assume you can do it, as it is very easy to pick up. If you need any help with it, let me know hug

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

Helz BellzSILVER Member
lovin' it...
2,444 posts

Posted:
Cheers for the advice and help hug

Sods bloody law though..... I went to apply for this last night, and the job must have expired as it wasn't on the website anymore frown

That'll teach me for being slack!

Plenty more to apply for though. Fingers crossed eh!

hug ubbrollsmile

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
hels, do you have a home email i can send that file to, so i dont have to post it
?

that way you could download it at home?

Step (el-nombrie)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
yep - all been said pretty much but its cool.

in design is super easy to use but for some reason, i still prefer quark.

i recommend if you get a jod description like that again, you say you've used non-industry-standard dtp programs a while ago (e.g. adobe pagemaker) but add that you should be able to adapt to the new software pretty quickly.

that way, they expect you to need some catch-up time but still think you have experience with the type of software they will want you to use smile

what job websites are you searching on then?

i registered with a few but they turned out to be crap.

pm forum have a job bank thing which is pretty good - if you're not already registered there, you should have a look smile

just in case you're not sure what the difference between programs like this and word processors (which tend to have dtp-like features anyway nowdays - images, text flow and all that), these are some examples of what i have produced using quark - they would not really be feasible in a word processor as they do not give you the control you need over text layout and control.

i don't recommend you read any of the content though - it will send you to sleep!

4pp spread, cmyk, no images

12pp brochure, cmyk and spot colours + images

good luck!

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Helz BellzSILVER Member
lovin' it...
2,444 posts

Posted:
Mech - i'm assuming you mean the zipp file you sent me? I left it downloading last night. Thank you!! hug Chad's gonna contact you direct about the referencing and stuff

ooops offtopic

Cole - thanks honey.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
but you never answered me question frown

no worries - rather than looking for new ones i really should be doing more of the job i've already got wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Helz BellzSILVER Member
lovin' it...
2,444 posts

Posted:
redface

Jobsite
Total jobs
monster
Michael Page
Ball & Hoolahan - though this is more for FMCG jobs.

These are the main sites at the moment....

hug

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
so you have it at home, and dont neeed me to email it to cole so he can download it for you in london?

wicked:)

didnt know if you have bb at the nipp

smile

Step (el-nombrie)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
wicked - didn't have total jobs or michael page

thank-yoo hug

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i use aocuple of sites, but i think they are aimed more towards nwly gradated students, rather than to the work force at large, as they offer a lot of jobs to start in summr 06

Step (el-nombrie)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i was given a great agency for creative work in london so i can start tailoring my cv and somehow this week, i managed to get my work to buy me the complete adobe cs2 smile

now i just need to go play with all this stuff on macs to make sure i can doo everything with just one mouse button and maybe blag some extra training on illustrator and in-design and i'll be back on the job market hopefully with a much bigger smile than the one i got now...

more good luck wishes for miss bells hug

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i have applied for two jobs today, is that good?

does anyone have the web site addy for milk run?

Step (el-nombrie)