Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
I've noticed that when I do a burn off the flames start but tracking along the shaft of the staff towards the grip. I have a photo of it here. I was wondering if this was normal as I'm worried about burning the grip. The staff has normal wicks on it which confuses me as, well, as far as I know the flames aren't meant to do that.

Edit: Link fixed

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
That link doesn't work...

Well, it does, but it asks you to login...

Any chance of a link that I don't need to become a member of somewhere to see?

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
you need to wipe off excess fuel off the metal before you spin. Or learn to deal with it. Or shake off and then wipe off, to stop any dribbles going down the shaft afterwards.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Thanks Meg. I've only really started doing burn offs recently so wasn't sure what was going on

WOFTSILVER Member
Likes trees...
209 posts

Posted:
The local staff maker puts a little piece of wicking about 20 cm from each wick on the staff. this is his "drip catcher" and stops any parafine and flames running up the staff. not sure if it makes a difference with other fuels). it is also a convinient guide as to where the staff becomes too hot to touch.

'n Boer maak 'n plan.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
wouldn't that also make possible a flame 20cm closer to your hands if the wick should catch fuel and then catch alight?

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I use masking tape to make a similar 'fuel sink' inwards form the wicks.

Just spiral it down a little and it ctaches the fuel, but evaporate pretty quick due to the hot metal its on.

You cna use little bits of wick if you like, but the tape works well for me. When it's all gone, just put some mor eon over the top... smile

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Thanks Charles. I tried the tape thing and it works nicely.

WOFTSILVER Member
Likes trees...
209 posts

Posted:
Mr Majestik

I have seen it catch fire once, and it was blown as the staffer began spinning. it is a tiny flame! the wick is a single strip of about 2 cm, and the fuel probably evaporates quickly.

'n Boer maak 'n plan.

afghan_bingoSILVER Member
116 posts

Posted:
it all adds to the fun, i think its brilliant when the only thing tht isnt burning is the grip, and if your staff isnt made of metal (which gets hot... ive been told) you can pretty safely run your hands up it and it wont burn your precious fingers.

we were somewhere near barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

LordMattmanBRONZE Member

Posted:
yer ive had this problem 2 but not just with burnoffs but just in genral wen u first light up....

Axenewbie
28 posts

Posted:
Yeah, it's cos of the fuel running down the staff when you're soaking the wicks. I don't find it a problem, as it very quickly goes out when you actually start to spin, and I like how it looks anyway tongue