PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
MikeG and I were recently having a conversation about hobbies during which he said he thought his aquatic tendencies were masochistic to most people. I tend to think we all have something we do (other than spin) that can be concidered by others as total masochism. What is yours?

As for me....several of my friends view my whole life as masochism, but more specifically, herm....
I date
Performing as a career
I dance until it hurts
I am a mother
I also have this strnage habit of working on alot of projects at once, so I don't get bored.

Remember, one of the key things about masochism is that it is pain and pleasure combined!...That reminds me...I'm feeling a bit frisky tonite...
lol

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Swimming isn't masochism. It's a cheap high. Endorphins are under-rated, dude!

The swimmer's creed:

1) Ligaments heal

2) You haven't lived 'till you've puked through your nose.

3) Chicks dig swimmer's bodies.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
I'd definitely have to classify dating as a masochistic hobby

sparring can be pretty masochistic, there are alot of times where you kind of drift off to umm, somewhere, can't really explain it but your on this weird sort of high, kind of like the same place your mind is on the 3rd or 4th mile running..

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
mmmmmm, masochistic tendencies.

I have read War & Peace (only really for the pleasure of being able to tell people that I have read War and Peace )

Does that count?

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
I Raced Downhill for 10 years, and now am just a ski bum, I think that counts. You have never seen how sexy people look in skin tight body spandex (GS Sutes).
((
))
((
))
((
))
~Fire Spirit

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
hmmm
Computer Programming
Sword Play
oh this has to be one:
Use the Linux operating system

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Hmmm....

I can't really think of any habits that I would consider massachistic, other than the afore mentioned dating. Possibly my affinity for tattoos, and maybe (to people whom do not know me) the quantity of alcohal that I will consume on any given night at the bar. Other than that my tendancies fall fully under that of a sadist (particularly when it comes to the sexual side of this conversation)

Jesus helps me trick people.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i like to stick needles in to various parts of my anatomy, insert implants under my skin, get inked up!
i have 45mm flesh tunnels in each ear need i say more?

Kittytheravequeenmember
285 posts

Posted:
hmmm wud have to be piercings and definately dating!! ahhh the joys of havin tiny little holes put in your flesh!!

i'll draw you a picture ill draw it with a twist ill draw it with a razorblade ill draw it on my wrist and if i do it right a red fountain will appear washing away my sorrow washing away my fear

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
I hate natural light, there for I hide behind thick curtains with all the lights off except for my moniter at the expence of a social life. Did I win?

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Well, sometimes I.. um... no, actually I don't.

I used to be drawn to horrible drama in relationships. But then I realized that things that suck... uh... suck.

Uh... Honestly, I try to avoid pain as much as I can. And am sucessful an overwhelming amount of time.

How boring. Just the way I like it.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I suppose paintball can be considered masochistic at times. Although the pain level usually isn't that bad, when you are reffing a game and completly calm because your concentrating on reffing and someone shoots you several times it hurts pretty bad.

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
Definately agree with "dancing till it hurts"!Haven't met many people who subscribe to my "dance for 7 hours without stimulants" view of a good night out.
Other than that, squash. It's not a good game unless you're bruised, bloody and can barely walk after a couple of hours! I once played for 6 hours straight, and could only just get out of bed the next morning, I hurt so much.

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
I used to be big into soccer, than I went to collage. But yeah, soccer rocks, I was a defender and I greatly enjoyed getting into clashes with forwards, it was best when you both tried to kick the ball at the same time...ahh how I miss soccer, I really don't get to take enough people down in my everyday life like I could with soccer.

Uhhh, lets see, I ski and snowboard. I've been skiing much longer than snowboarding, my family's a skiing family, it's what we do when we want to all get together. Snowboarding is a recent thing, kind of hurts at first, than it hurts less as you get better. Both sports can cause serious injury, which is what makes it fun I love to ski trees and moguls, ahh, more good times

Hmmm, is that it? Oh yeah, I used to get rides with complete strangers to out of state parties, does that count too? Or was that just plain dumb?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Jephyre:
Definately agree with "dancing till it hurts"!Haven't met many people who subscribe to my "dance for 7 hours without stimulants" view of a good night out.
I do that. Well, I might use caffeine from time to time, but that's about it for stimulants. Then again, the beauty of my other masochistic hobby is that after you have spent an hour at anaerobic threshold while only being able to breathe every two or three seconds, dancing just isn't so hard!

-Mike

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
Jephre, we'd get along well! I've been following this thread, but I've been busy and haven't had time to post...though I really wanted to add, basically, "go raving for 8 hours straight with no drugs." And I looooove squash as well.

I'm pretty chill most of the time, so when it's time to go out, I like to go out. Out, out, out. Out until I'm dizzy, weak in the muscles, shaking and delerious. All I need is the right muzik.

Other machoistic hobbies...hmmm...I'd never really thought about it as machoistic before but but working on my tree house could qualify. Basically, I'm outside for 8 hours a day when I've got a project on the go, no shirt on, lugging tools back and forth, listening to crazy to music, hanging off of tree limbs 20 feet high while operating drills, hammers, whatever else, and fiddling about with with wood, wires, nails and screws the whole time as well.

Alagonmember
14 posts

Posted:
hmmm...
Free diving and martial arts.
That burning feeling you get from a lack of oxygen, and of course the bruises recieved after a sparing match definately require masochistic streak.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I don't consider martial arts to be massochistic. For me the benifits far out weigh the bumps and bruises, and I also view it as a creative force rather than a distructive one.

Jesus helps me trick people.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Kittytheravequeen:
ahhh the joys of havin tiny little holes put in your flesh!!
i see not much joy in small holes in flesh myself, for me to aprechiate [sp?] such a hobby i like to at least take time and preperation in self modifications take for example a half inch hole in my left nipple created over 15 months as part of my life's extreme modifications. or the sub dermal implants in my left arm.
[maybe i should make a thread about this?]

ECCOmember
30 posts

Posted:
si:
would you count growing a beard knowing that your gonna set it on fire every time you fuck up behind the back weave and set it on fire?
seems to happen a lot...
getting up early in the mornings for 9am lectures has to be included there too...... the pain of getting out of that nice warm morning bed position, goddammit!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
How about this one? I volunteered to have first-year medical students practice starting IV lines on me. I volunteered because I love to teach and also because the veins in my arms are the size of garden hoses. Having said that...

"Ok, remember, DON'T go medial to the cephalic vein because the lateral cutaneous nerve of the forearm lives there. Always approach the cephalic vein from the LATERAL aspec...OW!!!!" The student had indeed approached the vein from the lateral aspect...and speared right through it and then hit my medial cutaneous nerve. Oh, the pain...

The outside of my right forearm was numb/tingly for a few days after that, too.

Not to mention that it took months before I stopped looking like a heroin addict.

And then the entire outside of my right forearm was numb/tingly for the next few days.

-Mike

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I have had my share of student nurses torturing me.

Like one went to shove a tube down my nose and Instead of trying to direct it in any manner or be gentle in anyway they simply rammed it in with force, causing quite a nose bleed and failing to come anywheres close to going down my nose.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Last year, we were learning to do an ENT (Ear, Nose, an Throat) examination and one of the ENT residents went and got the nasolaryngoscope (that's a doohickie that you shove down someone's nose and then you can see their vocal chords). And then he had me insert it in his nose and slide it down his throat.

Brave man. I didn't hurt him, though. He was great, too! "Ok, now you're under the inferior turbinate, so once you're all the way back, angle down and push in gently...right, ok, I think you've gone past the palate now...Ok, do you see those things opening and closing when I talk? Those are the vocal chords."

It was SOOO cool. But like I say, that was brave of him. I sure wouldn't have trusted me!

-Mike

Tigurmember
43 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by SickpuPpy:
I don't consider martial arts to be massochistic. For me the benifits far out weigh the bumps and bruises, and I also view it as a creative force rather than a distructive one.
I do to a point, and i have expierence when you willing challenge 4 Ju-Jitsu Black belts to a cirlce of death

4 people alternateing attacking you, slow at first but then they continuousley attack you and you have to defend yourself from 4 people constantley throwing full speed blows at you

i love it

or weapons matches, my Kasari-gama breaking a katanas blad and the blade of the katana flew into my shoulder, 14 stiches

or having too much pride you get your shoulder SERIOUSLEY dislocated and continue to fight in a match

being more creative than destructive, that depends on the person learning it, i use it to better myself (plus i love knowing how to break every bone in someones body in 164 dfferent ways)

(not to mention some of the nerves you can tweak to permanentley disable someone is always a creative way of letting someone know you love them)

Dicipline Focus Damage

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
2 words, MOSH PITS around where I live people have been coming out of the pits with broken arms and noses and the like of late. When I do venture in to the pit, I am the guy that is fucking laughing his ass of the whole time. Oh, wait sorry all pain gives me plaesure, seeing as that is the easiest way to tune out pain, amke yourself think it is enjoyable. I have had guys twist my arm behind my back to the point of being like 4* away from it breaking, and I am on the floor doubled over laughing

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

Teinemember
74 posts

Posted:
it may not sound like much of a hobby, but i have a habit of thinking to headaches. philosophy...gotta love it.
i'm also a field marshall for a padded weapons group in my town. nothing like testing to see if weapons are made right...
"c'mere for a sec..."
*THWAP!!!*
person crumples
"okies...this sword needs more padding. NEXT!!"
tee, hee.

life begins between the night and the light.

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
There have been a few times when I've been weaving chain maile, and I sudenly realize that I can't let go of my pliers because my hands are so cramped. Although that's after a few hours of bending a thousand steel rings together

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
I used to do a lot of Water sports,
Canoeing, Esspecially racing that was pain! racing 2 miles in a canoe against a powerboat (i had an evil trainer but it was practise for a race)
Inshore Sailing, nearly died when i capsized in a storm and was trapped under the water by all my lines and ropes
Offshore Sailing, fell over board but was luckily attached to a saftey line and pulled myself back onboard
Powerboating, um...can't think of much pain involved in that.
But all of them had times of pleasure, and times of pain!
Alice

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...