Forums > Social Chat > poi people and contact jugglers

Login/Join to Participate

Aguamember
67 posts

Posted:
My first exposure to fire poi (or poi at all for that matter) was at CJC2002. Remy, who also does ballet, was spinning fire while Michael Glenn was doing fire staff (at one point he was spinning fire staff AND CJing!!!). Michael's wife was also spinning fire. I was mesmerized with fire dancing from the get go. It was enchanting to say the least. Since April I've been involved with CJers in the USA, and have noticed there are a lot of similarities in personalities, mind-sets, freakos (well we all are really), nutzos, and in the idiosyncractic qualities between Cjers and Fire Dancers. So what I have been pondering is a joint get up between the two communities . I am aware some of you CJ, and some of the CJers spin fire. I think a melding of these communities would create some life-long friendships, help create cross-interest and help spread the word on these beautiful arts. If any of you moderators think this is a good idea, I would encourage you to contact Ferret @ ContactJuggling.org for stuff in the US, or Kae @ ContactJuggling.org. I was amazed at how quickly people became tight-knit over 3 days @ CJC 2002. I sense a deep theme of brotherhood here as well. Just to restate the thesis, I think bringing these two communities together sometime would be mutually beneficial, and FREAKIN' RAD.

*As a side note, which I will post as a new topic, but whilst your here I'll bug you anyways: CJing with fire-balls. How? I have no idea, will one of you crazies figure out how this could be done w/o too much bodily harm...or does anyone have any ideas on how get fire INSIDE a clear ball, and still have enough weight to CJ?? I think that would be killer. Any ideas, plz PM me.thx*

LOTR FOUR DAYS AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Namarië

Shaun

Amateurs practice something until they get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
Why must we separate these disciplines? Once you separate it and say that you can only do A or B you already limit yourself... And by limiting yourself you limit your ability to achieve greatness. I am saying these things as this topic of separate disciplines keeps popping up.

Again it all falls under manipulation!

I know many jugglers (manipulators) and circus performers who can do pretty much everything. This community of combination exists already you must look for it in your mind. This includes trapeze, walikng the wire, acrobatics (which I might study), amongst many other techniques... these just mentioned involve the manipulation of ones body...

Once these disciplines are combined in thought then these communities can join together. Although already in our hearts (at least mine) they are the same all falling under the category of manipulation. Just go find people who do. Not moves not tricks... Just play. Just balance.

JUST PLAY. JUST JUGGLE. JUST MANIPULATE.
Limitations are in your mind. Once these barriers are broken we can all JUST PLAY together with no need to put a barrier between all these disciplines...

Love and hugs to all,
Drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
I suspect if we could build a kevlar suit for the wearer you could use fire juggling balls to do contact with. I have seen many sizes and weights of these.

Possible it is! effective I am not so sure...

Drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
well there are these balls

Non-Https Image Link

But they look like they are so light I don't see how anyone could get smooth movements with them (although some people CJ with stage balls which aren't that heavy either)

Some guy here had an excellent idea of wrapping a steel ball with kevlar. I think this could be done but the heat may be to hot to handle. Someone also suggested wrapping a hardwood ball with kevlar (it's all in another thread)

If you try contact fire (tracing, fire transfers and running torches along body parts) you will realize that it's not that hot if you keep it moving. I think it would be perfectly possible if you had a fast paced CJ routine and used fuel like alcohol which isn't so hot.

Imagine a guy doing an arm role and leaving a trail of burning fuel on his arm? I think there is huge potential for CJ+fire.

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Astar:

(although some people CJ with stage balls which aren't that heavy either)

Some guy here had an excellent idea of wrapping a steel ball with kevlar. I think this could be done but the heat may be to hot to handle.

Well the weight of it doesn't really matter... Much like doing poi with different poi or juggling balls of different sisez or the difference between plastic clubs and fire clubs...

Again you would need a kevlar suit... And the steel balls you mentioned are in existence... I saw them in brazil and yes they would be very good for CJ on fire...

Love and hugs,
drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Astar:
well there are these balls
But they look like they are so light...

They are very light! Only a couple of ounces... The fire is contained inside the core so they dont get that hot on the outside though and you dont need kevlar to use them...

But lighter contact balls are slightly harder to use in my experience... Its all about practice really...

drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Interesting, very very interesting Fire Contact juggling would be amazing to see, I'm alway in awe of contact jugglers, soo fluid, it's something I'd be interested in learning if I had more spare time.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
heh even if you could do it on bare skin, a kevlar suit would be over kill. I don't even see it being that effective since most kevlar avaible is absorbent and has a relativly loose weave. It's also pretty expensive. A leather suit would probably be most reasonable.

[ 15. December 2002, 10:49: Message edited by: Astar ]

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
Just because you havent seen kevlar that performs a protective function does not mean it does not exist... The balls of steel with kevlar wicking tied into the bolt fittings in the middle are handled with gloves made of kevlar...

I used the wrong word when I used suit... It would be more like sleeves of kevlar...

I do though fear that within 'fire contact' if achieved for a purpose other than seeing CJ with fire... I clearly see a spoon for calling another one by another name...
(DO NOT read into this unless you know what I am talking about... most here wont...) I apologise for my cryptic post... Decrypting certain information is only for those who know there is no code to let you in the door.

Love and hugs,
drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
What I find is that most people from any performance art background are usually tight knit groups. However, jugglers I think occassionally sway to being more purist in attitude, which can make them unapproachable at times. Most spinners I know of, fire and non-fire, have dabbled with other arts, and have thought of ways to incorporate fire into them.

I agree with Drome, in the end if you concider them as seperate in your mind then you seriously limit your options when it comes to personal evolution.

As for fire with contact juggling. Someone around here was working on a fire hackey sack, though who completely escapes me. The juggling balls Astar posted are not good for contact juggling. They do heat up tremendously. Two of my friends use them in their act, both have suffered 3rd degree burns from them. A thin leather I agree would be ideal for this. I say thin so that mobility is not impeded, which can severely effect your cj. I wouldn't concider a kevlar suit for anything fire on the basis that kevlar absorbs fuel and then the fire burns. This still heats up and can result in burns that way, it has happened to firemen and stuntmen, I wouldn't risk it.
Just my opinion though.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK