Forums > Social Chat > Poi - the next new craze?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
You've noticed how many newbies have joined recently, So is it me or is poi gradually getting more mainstream? also I keep seeing poi on tv here and there, plus the fact that my child's primary school is beginning classes for the circus arts, to promote healthy living and keeping active.

It looks like it may get bigger soon, and I'm worried it will escalate out of control, but it may, like all the other crazes, disappear quietly and we can continue living by the poi as we have always done.

Oh yeah this is chat so i will say....
....lol!

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
What're the chances of this being posted before, D'ya reckon?

ubbangel

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
Well do a search for me then. it was only a thought... I never get this bother in the discussions forum...
ubbangel

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

doctor_fandangoGOLD Member
co-director of A.C.B.I.S.H.A.
761 posts
Location: in the corner beside the filing cabinets, 2nd floo...

Posted:
we did circus skills in school too, now that i think about it, we did some acrobalance and ribbon&poi spinning. what a lovely little flashback. i dont think its going to be such a 'craze' vibe tho TP. anyone i know thats started out poi has gotten deeply involved in it, always wanting to learn more moves and improve thir dance & styling like. i think its wonderful that more and more people are getting into the spinning scene.. keeps fresh ideas coming and pumping.

BRING ON THE NEWBIES!!!

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
Sorry, I'm one of the newbies, but I'm gonna be here for a while, I would eventually like to earn a bit of cash on the side as a performer so I'm going to have to have a varied collection of 'tricks', and a watchable style. Atm I'm going crazy trying to get loads of wraps done after watching a glowstick vid, stuck on a both poi wrap round my right arm from backwards (right poi doesn't want to lead on to the left straight after, I keep putting in an extra half beat spin to get it in time again)

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
I dont reackon it will get very mainstream, im not sure why I just dont think it will. Its probably only noticalbe with all the n00bsters joining because your a hop member, and a spinner yourself. I for one only know anyhting about spinning through hop and have never seen it anywhere else other than a few places on the internet.

Speaking of n00bs when do you stop being one?

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
@brit :eeks: and "blackburn" has such a nice sound to it when it comes down to fire tongue

But Tinkle: Poi the "new" craze confused you dare call it "new"? umm spank wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
When you crankily tell people to do searches as an instinctual reaction to the words "Sparkly Poi" and "What music do you spin to?" among other things wink biggrin

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Your member number tink? Hardly an old schooler are you? wink
Been discussed many times before, and do you own searches foo'!

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
The new isnt connected with poi, its connected with the word craze.

Yoyos arnt new, but any craze happening would be a new craze. Since the old one (a few years ago now) has passed. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Do you think I should make a new thread asking when does one stop being a n00b? Or would that annoy the hoppers?

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
It's been discussed in this forum before a few times, [Old link] and you even posted in the thread tink! rolleyes ubblol

Let's relight this forum ubblove

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol
but look at the post - you can't seriously expect her to remember THAT thread... wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
Written by: Brit_Joe

Do you think I should make a new thread asking when does one stop being a n00b? Or would that annoy the hoppers?

the internet forum answer is "when your intro page stops being bumped", but i dunno about poi. wink "before you quit getting on hop" maybe? haha. now i know why you thought it might be annoying. redface awell.

-- dut

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:

Its when you stop annoying Cantus and learn to do a search before starting a new topc. wink

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
^^ ooh. truth. he should get a point for that. wink

-- dut

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
I very rarelly create new threads at all. Im gonna do it anyway, I havnt a clue why some hoppers feel the need to take offence to posts being posted...

Oh wait I get it now haha nice one. I dont need to make it anymore

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
because that's the only way the boards will stay managable, not only in terms of repetition but also bandwith-wise

anyways

Non-Https Image Link

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

dani_babybooSILVER Member
addict
667 posts

Posted:
i first saw poi at clubbing events because my mates do it and they now dance on stage at many clubbing events doing light poi and fire poi
they have taught me

as for it being a craze isnt it a good thing as it is a good sourse of fitness and its like anything really more and more people are going to know about it and want to either get involved or not. its combined with a lot of circus skills type things and is good fun and the more people into it the bigger meetups get and the more friends we make from it.

enticed, entrapped, entombed.
intoxicated, impaled, ingested.
bewitched, beaten, broken.
enter the love realm...
insert ur token

o jej, ale bym ci wylizal ten pepek

stepped up promotions

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Alot of people will sayhow poi becoming popular and mainstream will be a bad thing, the negatives might come soon...of course they might not couse they tend to be from people who dont double post.

I wouldnt see anyhting wrong in it being mainstream and popular, I love to jog and swim and I really dont mind that lots of other people do the same, why would poi be any different

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo,

you stop being a noob after 3 years.

you become 'old school' at 5/9 years

Im with Dut, Point!!!

honestly, I remeber this question coming up aaaages ago, and poi simply failed to go mainstream, all the girlys in all the festivals were spinning some tails but still I only find the same number of real poi'ers (longer than 3 years wink ) as I do jugglers, suggesting that although the toy is more wide known, it hasnt increased the number of nutters who get obsessed by it. I think we have already seen the peak of poi's popularity, and infact its gonna decend again. its not accessable, Its better than a computer game, but not so easy to get into.

2c

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
*chuckles to himself*
Gay duck..

biggrin

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:

Alot of people will sayhow poi becoming popular and mainstream will be a bad thing, the negatives might come soon...of course they might not couse they tend to be from people who dont double post.

Maybe I'm being stupid..but I can't make any sense of that sentance at all..

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
No stupidity from your end, Aimée... wink

I think there's more stages than just 'newbies' and 'Old Skool'...

I mean, I've been here a Year and a half, But I don't consider myself to be a Newbie, nor do I consider myself Old Skool... Along with many other people that are around the year and a half/two year mark...

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
apprentice old-skoolers? biggrin

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
wannabe old-skoolers? wink

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Written by: [Nx?

]

As a spinner approaching the dawn of my old schoolness, I suggest we use the term 'Geoff' for anyone between newbiehood and old schoolness.
That way, it'll clear up all confusion wink

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I would have suggested "Jeff" myself wink

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
there's a lot of people kissing newbs asses here so they don't feel bad about calling them newbs --

oh crap. it's self fulfilling! you're only a newb if you think you're not a newb!

(i wish discordianism would become a craze...)

-- dut

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
is this my first chance to do the fabled hipthrust?

*hipthrust*

wooot!

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

L0s3r_r@v3rSILVER Member
enthusiast
274 posts

Posted:
Written by: [Nx?

]

I'd say if you've stuck with it over a year you're not a noob. I've shown people how to do poi.. but none of them stick with it for more than just a few days. I'd say a year would be enuf if you still got ambition (sp?) but then again.. i'm just sayin that i'm not a nood .. so dose that mean i am a noob? confused
ubbidea umm ubbloco

You know what I'm thinking about right now? That's right, Tacos!

Page: