FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
After major efforts by the american (!) and international society the Spacecraft " New Horizons " launched Jan 19th to explore the outer rim of our Solar Sytem and investigate Pluto (9th and considered last planet of our Universe) who is 4 billion miles away from Earth.

It will travel 10 years to reach him, just before he enters his winter-phase and scientists hope to get vital informations about the rise of our system and it will be the furthest object in space ever explored by mankind (so far).

Pluto has been discovered by C. Tombaugh in 1930 - at that time ending speculations of a Planet X (who might be responsible to destract the orbits of Uranus and Neptune). But it came obvious that Plutos size (estd. 2300 k's, compare Earth: 12.800k's) is a cherry next to a watermelon and can't possibly be responsible to disturb his neighbours.

In the meantime the theory of a " Kuiper Belt " gains more and more evidence as there are more asteroids coming up ("2003 UB313" for instance, who is 400k's bigger than Pluto), scientists are currently underway to decide whether or not Pluto will keep his status quo of a planet or be "degraded"...

Decision awaited summer this year...

Now IF - this would mean some re-writing and pondering to astrologers and mystics anyways...

I just think it would be revolutionary to think of our solar system as one that comprises many many more, than "just" nine planets and at the same time it sheds some light on mankinds pinhole view and attempts to explain the existing universe...

Meaning we can't really be sure of anything in the long view -

It's all just a matter of perspective.... ?!?

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
That's a matter of semantics. It makes no difference if Pluto is classified as a planet or the closest member of the Kuiper Belt other than for classificational accuracy (except of course to astrologers, whose opinions are of no relevence).

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Written by: jeff(fake)

(except of course to astrologers, whose opinions are of no relevence).

ubblol ubblol

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
maybe only "hardbacked" siences are your fancy, but anyways smile our solarsystem to contain either less than 9 planets or many more objects would also mean that the sketch in Voyager 1 is useless...

Ever met a good astrologer/ psychic/ cousellor?

effexmember
32 posts

Posted:
We will never truly know what the solar system nvm the universe consists of. Scientists and astronomers cannot measure all aspects of existence for there may be many more dimensions that we could possibly perceive. The universe is even believed to have a missing mass that belongs to a dark matter that cannot even be measured and only calculated by it's gravitational forces. It would be naive to think that philosophies constitute more than theories, experimentation and research. Truth and reality are likely to be an infinite amount of ultimate realities.

smile and people will wonder what yr up to.

1,189 posts

Posted:
Written by: FireTom

maybe only "hardbacked" siences are your fancy, but anyways smile our solarsystem to contain either less than 9 planets or many more objects would also mean that the sketch in Voyager 1 is useless...

And that is relevent how? rolleyes
Written by: FireTom

Ever met a good astrologer/ psychic/ cousellor?

Ever see the deadline Psychic wins lottery?
Written by: effex

We will never truly know what the solar system...

No, we're pretty sure we know what the bulk of the solar system is made of. It's just the dark cold unimportant bits that are hard to see left

. Scientists and astronomers cannot measure all aspects of existence for there may be many more dimensions that we could possibly perceive. The universe is even believed to have a missing mass that belongs to a dark matter that cannot even be measured and only calculated by it's gravitational forces. It would be naive to think that philosophies constitute more than theories, experimentation and research. Truth and reality are likely to be an infinite amount of ultimate realities.

Yay! Rambling incoherent hippy philosophy that makes no sense! If you are going to post in discussion you need to learn how to post in a clear and lucid style of writting, else stick to chat. Friendly advice kiddo, if your posts make no sense then there can be no discussion.

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Now now jeff(fake), don't spank the new guy on his sixth post!

I think as hippies, we should reserve the right to babble incoherently and unashamedly, just not *too* often wink biggrin

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

effexmember
32 posts

Posted:

you need to learn how to post in a clear and lucid style of writting,

smile and people will wonder what yr up to.

1,189 posts

Posted:

you need to learn how to post in a clear and lucid style of writting,

Take it to heart kiddo. If you try hard one day you might be as good as me. cool

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Wow - how is the weather up there on your high horse, and how oh how did you fit the lecturn up there too? Amazing.

How about this: if you can't remain civil in a Discussion topic, maybe stick to googling your own name or something. Kiddo.

Be nice, or get out.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
Written by: flash fire

Wow - how is the weather up there on your high horse, and how oh how did you fit the lecturn up there too? Amazing.

How about this: if you can't remain civil in a Discussion topic, maybe stick to googling your own name or something. Kiddo.

Be nice, or get out.

biggrin

i love moderators. hugflashhug

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
big up flash hug

Written by: jeff

It makes no difference if Pluto is classified as a planet or the closest member of the Kuiper Belt other than for classificational accuracy (except of course to astrologers, whose opinions are of no relevence).

nice one jeff - here you quite clearly demonstrate that you have absolutely no idea of the objectives of this mission and nothing at all constructive to add to this discussion.

if pluto, with its small relative size and its erratic orbit (that is on a plane other than that of the accretion disc), turns out to *not* be from the kuiper belt, it would mean the theories of solar system formation would need to be seriously reconsidered.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

1,189 posts

Posted:
Didn't realise he was such a newbie... redface

And I was in a state of delerium. ubbloco
EDITED_BY: jeff(fake) (1138704770)

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
yay jeff clap

yay coleman clap

I don't care about sketches in spacecrafts... IF Pluto really (despite his size) interfers with those two Giants - wow he'd would be a planetary ant...

Also scientists hope to find 4 Billion year old evidence about HOW this solarsystem actually happens to be here... (not using "why" for a reason...) wink

and to para-science: this is not x-files, but the moment of birth actually can tell you something about yourself - therefore future (also under the terms of "Determinism") might be "forseen" - dunno about the combinations of numbered balls though... and jeff: would you tell anyone, if you could forsee the numbers? wink biggrin