Page:
mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
I'm planning on getting a house in the next couple months and I want it to be as poi friendly as possible so I can host weekly spin jams. What would your ideal spinners house have?

I want to set up a good size indoor area with tall ceilings and non-breakable wall mirrors sort of like a dance studio. We lose a lot of days to cold and rain so this is a requirement. A couple UV light strips and a nice sound system would also be nice.

Outside I want a large private burn pad. I figure a big flat tiled patio with a tall privacy fence and maybe a sectioned off fuel dump area. It would be cool to have the area lit by gas tiki torches.

What other goodies do I need?

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Whimper.

Me?!

biggrin

Getting to the other side smile

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
1)BONFIRE PIT. how can you forget this. sheesh.
2)good outdoor (and indoor) speakers with jacks outside so i can walk up and plug in my Ipaq biggrin
3)spinning tools manufacturing work room (also known as the garage)

:P

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
I'd definitely have a stageish area for burning, Possibly with high ceilings, we have lots of months of rain as well. A decent amount of open space on either side of the stage area for general burning (so you can have multiple burners at once).

Considering the rain mentioned, I'd have a mudroom for backyard entrance and exit. No shoes in the house beyond the mudroom.

Small covered patio with heating options, connected to the back of the house, that way rain isn't an issue for watching some spinning. I'd probably attach a firepit to that just a bit off, but still in good view of the burner stage. And I'd have a large window somewhere in the middle to get a nice view of the burner stage from inside. Don't forget the safety box somewhere on the patio (safety gear housing).

Your spinner lounge sounds good. If there was room I'd throw in a couple of couches and a small bar. Nothing like relaxing to some flowing music while watching a good UV spin.

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

anonomatosGOLD Member
enthusiast
389 posts

Posted:
Dimmable lights, UV-light of course.. and some sort of 'moodlights' (long strips with lots of RGB-leds with a control in it to change color) on the ground pointing up on a white wall. This way you can change wall colors biggrin

Or how 'bout glass tiles on the ground with light underneath? You get some wonderful effects when spinning in a dark room with only lights from below!

And for outdoor things: a bonfire pit is a MUST together with sufficient fire space (no trees!).

"Don’t know how long, this one’s gonna take;
I could fail, but I’d rather be a fuckup, than a fake"

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Furniture that doesn't have legs, so it sits directly on the floor.
That way, stray juggling balls/thrown poi/babies can't bounce underneath and be a pain to fish out.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
A barbecue?

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
HOT TUB!!!!

and a place to keep yer biizitches tied up while you go out.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

FIREBOY4209SILVER Member
The lone Fire Spinner
236 posts

Posted:
A safe lockable storage room for putting parrafin and other fuels in. Outside a special fuel dump area erm....
Fire extinguishers in every room.
Oh and lots of spare rooms for all the people who are going to come and stay for a while. (thats if anyone ever wants to leave?)

To play it safe is not to play

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
Written by: arashi

and a place to keep yer biizitches tied up while you go out.

LMAO!

Great Ideas here. The fire pit is definitely in, as is the guest room and indoor\outdoor speakers. I really like the idea of not having to fish for runaway juggling balls so friendly furniture is in too.

The indoor room might as well be a full blown dance floor with club lights, smoke machine, couches and a bar.

I think I want the rest of the inside to look like a pirate gallion. Wood panels, beams, port hole windows and maybe build a cannon that shoots fire. That will come later.

Outside I'll have some comfy spectator chairs, BBQ, multiple extinguishers and backup fire blankets.

#1 on my list of house choices is NO Homeowners Association. That way I can paint a killer flame job all around the outside of the house. My neighbors are going to love me! biggrin

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

ImbalanceGOLD Member
263 posts

Posted:
*volunteers to help paint*
and the legless furniture is a damn good idea.

and smoke machine is definently a awsome addition, then can make some [Old link] and poi!!

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
a balcony to watch the fire from above!

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Let me know when everything is in place, so I can come visit smile

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
Flush light fittings (no dangling bulbs) and seats chained to the wall so you can fold them up out of the way biggrin

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
oooo, you mean bench seats that could fold up? that'd be soo cool!

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
one of those two-way mirrors so you can watch people spinning without them knowing....

"of course you can spin naked... i'll just go out of the room..."

a bouncy castle.

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
Written by: shen shui

one of those two-way mirrors so you can watch people spinning without them knowing....

"of course you can spin naked... i'll just go out of the room..."

a bouncy castle.

actually, an entire positive pressure/blacklight room outside would be killer. biggrin

let me know when the housewarming party is (and i do mean "warm"). ubbrollsmile

-- dut

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
me too, and since you'd have to be rediculously loaded to do all thins, would you mind paying for a ticket for me to get there? wink

jcrsGOLD Member
the floor is a sea of tigers...
404 posts

Posted:
you NEED this

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
Woah, that's impressive! I was actually thinking about doing a lot of my own LED lighting but not on that kind of scale.

Heh, I wish I was ridiculously loaded. The house I'm looking at now isn't that big or expensive. It'll probably be able to host 6 to 8 people inside and a lot more outside. All the little stuff I want adds up but it's definitely in the budget. Hopefully I can get started in a month or so. I'll post pics as I start building it out.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
awesome, i want to come! what state is NC?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
North Carolina?
Near California?
Near Canada?
Nowhere Close?
umm

ImbalanceGOLD Member
263 posts

Posted:
seriously...you guys can't look up NC? come on.

North Carolina would be correct. Nowhere close would also be correct for most of you.

BUT just to make it MORE obvious:
Here
You
Go

Pictures
and info
Sometimes help.

please direct any further inquiries HERE. thank you. biggrin

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Charlotte?

Thats a girls name!! wink

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
Odd fact: Seven years after the founding of Charlotte we declared independence from Britain. We are seven years shy of having the city called Polk Town (the alternative) rather than being named after a Queen. I know I wouldn't want to live in Polk Town. smile

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
do you mean to say the city is going to be called Polk Town? eek or that is was considered and rejected? i'd rather live in charlotte than Polk Town (eww, i know a girl called charlotte)

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Not too many overlooking bastards who'll hop over your fence and steal any toys you leave in the shed *bitterness*

Also, deaf neighbours so you can keep your tunes up late in the summer

A heat room so you can get warmed up before attempting freezing winter burns

High fences so if you have a mishap, your toy/wick won't go flying into a nearby pond

No pond. And no greenhouse for that matter.

Tiki lamps are great, we use some at my mate's house. It sounds dumb, but remember to extinguish them before any photoshoots. redface

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

preSILVER Member
161 posts

Posted:
I would make a room with no windows and wide maybe about a 10' cielling which can accomidate moves such as giant windmill and overhead butterfly. the no windows are for those of us like myself who use glowpoi and choose lightsticks or the LED poi balls that i'll order ina few weeks.

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
Things are looking good so far. The price has been agreed on and I'm waiting for the house inspection before closing. I should have enough funds left over to get started on a few of the major renovations as soon as the deal is done.

Heh, any neighbor brave enough to set foot on the property with all the crazy stuff I'm planning is OK in my book. smile

I think I'll use some type of sound deadening on the tall privacy fence so it's not too loud next door and the neighbors won't see the fiery hell-bent orgy inside devil

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
ubblol high fences? they'll probably think you're some satanic cult or something

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
All the better...

devil ubblol

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

Page: