BlueSeaDreamer89GOLD Member
11 posts

Posted:
juggle im sorry i love that juggling smily.... back to the topic!

Has anyone thought to use Infared film when taking pictures of spinners?

my teacher just gave me a roll, & i still have to try it out.

SO Heres the Question: what setting should i use? confused

i know i need a longer shutter speed for the fire trail, but are there any modifications that need to be implemented in the use of infared film?

luv ya'll
~Sammy

(oh try to stay on topic i know how these forums get....thats you FRD smile)

Boredom is a powerful incentive........

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Oi, there is a lot to shooting IR..

First and foremost you need to load and unload the film in either a darkroom or a changing bag. the film even in its roll can get exposed, IR light is sneakier than visible light.

Generally you need a pretty heavy red filter, or an all out opaque filter, and you need to adjust your exposure to compensate, I think its about 3 full stops for the red filter, moreso for an opaque one obviously. Exposure for IR is generally a bit hard to get right the first time, but they're generally a lot longer exposures than you'd think because of the filters. And you should bracket almost every shot, especially if this is your first roll of IR. And developing is different.. but I'm hoping your teacher told you all this..

When I shot it I dont believe I had an exposure ever that was less than about 15 - 30 seconds some up to a few minutes. And that was in full daylight, I don't know how well it would do with a spinner.. Interested, but I wouldn't shoot a whole roll on it since they're about $12 a pop last I checked.

Shooting IR without the filters will basically give you a normal b/w shot.. although some IR films have other effects that they'll give you, and in general they're grainier...

More I can say, but off to class now

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
"(oh try to stay on topic i know how these forums get....thats you FRD smile )"

Well, thats a suck ass reputation to have... frown

IR shots sounds like a wicked idea... might have to go out and try this at some point. biggrin

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
I've never shot fire before with IR, but just so you guys know this isn't like the infrared heat cameras they show on TV. IR photography is just below the visible spectrum of light, 'heat' is a bit further down the scale so it has very very very little to do with your end image.

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

Everything that lurch said, you will need a 'proper' pass IR filter, and these are relatively expensive, processing can usually be done in a number of b/w developers, I've used Rodinal to good effect for this, additionally focus is either slightly longer or shorter for IR, can't remember at present.

I did a lot photography of derelict buildings in infra red, fantastic medium, if you want a really good idea of how infra red behaves, then it is entirely possible to use a digital camera with a pass IR filter, works best with digi slr, you will need full manual control. What you will find though is that although 'all' ccd imagers used in cameras are infra red sensitive, (try pointing a remote at a digital camer and taking a photogrpah), the majority have a cut IR filter fitted to correct the colour temperature effect that is the result of IR contamination.

Bottom line then, although most digi cameras can be used with a IR filter, the sensitivities vary considerably, exposures can be aything from 15 secs upwards in good lighting, will get round to trying this with fire though.

mark

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
True true, opaque filters rock, but they are indeed generally $80+ US, I know of a few camera shops around here that have their 'filter bin' of used filters where I can get most standard ones (like the red needed for bare minimum b/w IR) in pretty decent condition from $8-12..

BlueSeaDreamer89GOLD Member
11 posts

Posted:
the funniest part is........i just checked the film..... it expired in 1995 ubblol

my teacher found a box of them in the storage room, he just took over the position from the last photo teacher who worked at our school from 72'. he was a little bit of a ditz

is it still worth my time to shoot with it?

...........blah

Boredom is a powerful incentive........

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

Possibly, rather doubtful though, if your going to process this yourself and not spend money as such then it might be worth experimenting, it rather depends upon how it's been stored, your dev time has the potentially to be much longer though, make sure you do a clip test, and make sure you don't shoot anything of value that can't be reshot.

Not something I'd recomend though, IR is variable enough without adding into the equation out of date film, I've used conventional bw and colour film self processed that has been out of date, not to be recomended, although I didn't seem to have any problems as such with it. IR film is very much more critical though.

mark

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
IR usually has a shelflife of about a year or so if I remember right, thats when stored in a freezer and pushing it, so you might get *a* result, whether it's the result you want or not who knows wink

If you've never used IR before, it's definatly something I would recommend playing with at least once. You can get the film and filters from bhphotovideo if you want to spend the money for them, here is a link to the film, like I said though, $12/roll

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controll...egoryNavigation

If you've never seen any, look them up. You can pull off some amazing portrait pictures if done right, and landscapes are extremely surreal and beautiful. With the heavy red filters blue sky turns almost black, yet the clouds stay nice and bright. There is also the 'woods effect' where green plantlife. Leaves, grass, etc glows and creates very eerie snowy looking scenes. Various random things will just 'glow' like that. I've seen black fabric turn to almost white under IR.

Example for you:

Non-Https Image Link

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:
Should have some IR fire photographs available much later this eve for posting, some will be on Kodak high speed infra red film, and some will be digital,

mark

Well here are some of the basic results, these are largely un-altered other than being downsized and converted to low quality jpgs for uploading

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

DaizBRONZE Member
Radioactive Member
106 posts

Posted:
Wow, didn't realise it changed the look so much.

I'm gonna cut you up so bad, you gonna wish I ain't cut you up so bad.