Forums > Social Chat > The Singles Club! Come join! Take on a position!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
icklepurklegirlmember
116 posts

Posted:
The Singles Club(cos licking monkey balls is better than a relationship)

Manifesto

1) We, the members of the Singles Club, are a group of elite SINGLE* people. We do not need partners to define ourselves or make our lives worthwhile.

2) We shall strive at all times to support all other members of the Singles Club, and other Single people, be they members or non-members, in the quest to have a fulfilling life without resorting to having an 'other half'

3) We shall also strive to support any member who feels unhappy because of previous partners, and remind them how much more fulfilling life is without someone to pester you all the time, eat your special ice cream, to take up all the bedsheets..etc. Now we can eat curry in bed whilst doing a back flip and flirting with Donald Duck. If we want.

4) We shall at all times laugh at couples publicly displaying affection, even if it is only amongst ourselves. And unless its a wedding. Weddings are different. Bonus points for any Singles Club member who moons a wedding.

5) The Singles Club challenge shall be a weekly challenge as organised by the committee. Any member who completes the challenge shall be awarded a prize.

6) The Singles Club Ninja identity is not to be revealed upon pain of.....carrot insertion! And also exclusion from the club. Which is much worse.

7) You shall be excluded from the Singles Club upon attachment to a mate. Whilst contact may be kept with all members, coming to Single Club events, ESPECIALLY if you bring said partner, is strictly prohibited.

8)The Singles Club will provide a regular meeting ground and group outing every week, its aim is not to keep people single or to find them partners but simply to have FUN!

9)Blatant whoredom is encouraged, as is celibacy. We have the right and power to try anything once, with anyone, especially if it causes comedy at the expense of couples. We are not here to try and break couples up. Unless the entire singles Club and all its members believes that the couple in question is evil and should be destroyed.

10) The tenth rule of singles club is you do not talk about singles club. To couples. Or to the uninitiated. We are ELITE remember? Like those secret societies you had as kids with the special handshake? That's us. Only cooler.

*Single: Having no relationship that could be construed as boyfriend/girlfriend. Having no regular intercourse with the same partner, individual situations to be considered by the committee

If you want an official commitee position, sign up now! We especially need a chief tart (i'm president, by the way wink)

-spinnin' to the rhythm of the new world order-

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
um, ubblol, i dont know if i should put a link here to the originals singles thread, but seeing as you know its there there's probably not much point, oh well, [Old link]

i'm not totally sure this new thread was nessesiary, but when the mods find it i suppose they can decide

ubblol doesnt making this 'elite' club available on HoP kind of destroy rule 10?

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

shoshanahSILVER Member
enthusiast
232 posts

Posted:
lol thats funny fair play.

life is what you make it and what you want it to be

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Man, you've got issues... umm

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
It does give me the chance to post this link again. Fool. wink

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Yo!

Being single sucks.

Which is why I ain't touching this one with a long ass pole.

*hyperspastichipthrust* biggrin

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:

I'd still rather have a pizza.

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
Written by: Sethis

Man, you've got issues... umm

Why?

Willy - is bad for your health...

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
The count down to the locking this repeated thread has begun... I'm assuming ubblol

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Did you just cut and paste that Manifesto from a site where it would have been relevant and appropriate?

frown

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

SniperBRONZE Member
Snoochie-boochie-noochies!
663 posts

Posted:
*pulls up a pew*

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Wtf?!

That's all I have to say on the matter. Except perhaps
Non-Https Image Link

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
Give it another month and you can put me down as "Patron saint of single people". I should fulfill all the requirements by then.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Seems like an OK thread to me, the only thing it seems to have in common with the 'singles' thread is that it's for singles smile

It's well-titled, the intro post is well written and sets out a clear intention of what the thread is supposed to encompass, and seems to be emphasising the positives of being single (clearly distinguishing it from the other thread).

Having looked at the pre-existing big 'singles' thread, I've got to say that the intro post to this one, contains considerably more real content than the first two pages of the old one, which seems to consist mainly of cliquey one-liners.

icklepurklegirl- maybe your thread will get deleted, if it does do, i'd like you to know that not everyone here has failed to appreciate your effort.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Written by: Lemonkey

Why?

Because:

1. The member title is "Newbie" which indicates that they haven't made many posts. (This is the only post I've seen by them) and they obviously aren't really bothered about first impressions.
2. There is no indication that s/he is joking about laughing at people in relationships.
3. S/he obviously has had problems in the past with partners, and is starting yet *another* thread to b!tch about them. *yawn*
4. S/he justifies breaking a couple up, which I HATE. Even if it wasn't meant seriously, I do actually take offence at that. See how much you laugh when someone is trying to do it to you. I don't care what anyone says, you don't screw with other people's relationships. You don't laugh at them, you don't make snide comments and you don't try to break them up. Ever.
5. The fact that there is another "Singles" thread on the front page of chat shows that s/he obviously doesn't pay much attention, or read the site rules. Considering the numbers of threads that have been shouting about this recently, I'm suprised that not everyone is doing a search before posting (or at least scrolling down!).

But hey, you have the right to say whatever you want, as do I. shrug

*waits for lockage, eating popcorn*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:

Because:

1. The member title is "Newbie" which indicates that they haven't made many posts. (This is the only post I've seen by them) and they obviously aren't really bothered about first impressions.
2. There is no indication that s/he is joking about laughing at people in relationships.
3. S/he obviously has had problems in the past with partners, ...
4. S/he justifies breaking a couple up, which I HATE. ...
5. The fact that there is another "Singles" thread on the front page of chat shows that s/he obviously doesn't pay much attention, or read the site rules...

Ummm, lockage arriving? confused Is this "lockage"? confused What is "lockage"? confused wink

I dunno, just wanted to say "ease up a bit, boyo". Yep, s/he is a newbie, so as far as all the "rules violations" maybe giving them a bit of a less harsh introduction would be nice. You are coming on a bit strong mate.

Also, when new you do tend to do a limited amount of posts at first, an exploratory thing. So it becomes a little difficult to draw a conclusion based on that info.

I found the original post funny. I wasn't going to post a response to it, because I didn't have a strong reaction. And yet you did. You mentioned in particular that you felt it was "justifying breaking up a couple". I didn't read it that way, I read it as "we are not trying to break them up" (this was actually repeated, although with the humourous rejoinder about mean couples). So I am wondering, you have accused this person of being bitter and twisted about relationships, doesn't your reaction suggest a bit of pot and kettle?

Anyhow, on the main part of the subject I am a bit "meh, don't care". I try to enjoy my life in all its aspects (happy/sad, in love and out). These threads all just seem a bit "blah" to me.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:

Because:

3. S/he obviously has had problems in the past with partners, and is starting yet *another* thread to b!tch about them. *yawn*
4. S/he justifies breaking a couple up, which I HATE. Even if it wasn't meant seriously, I do actually take offence at that. See how much you laugh when someone is trying to do it to you. I don't care what anyone says, you don't screw with other people's relationships. You don't laugh at them, you don't make snide comments and you don't try to break them up. Ever.
5. The fact that there is another "Singles" thread on the front page of chat shows that s/he obviously doesn't pay much attention, or read the site rules. Considering the numbers of threads that have been shouting about this recently, I'm suprised that not everyone is doing a search before posting (or at least scrolling down!).

But hey, you have the right to say whatever you want, as do I. shrug

To me, the fact that she's a newbie is all the more reason not to be rude.

Constructive critisism yes, but crying out for the deletion of a thread she's obviously put thought and effort into, is, IMO, in need of justification.

And I don't see how comparisons with the other thread constitute grounds for critisising this one- what other connection, other than the fact they have 'singles' in the title, is there?

Your point about it seeming hostile to couples is fair enough; then again, in a culture like ours where being single is portrayed as akin to being ill (it happens to everyone but hopefully they'll get over it and become 'normal' again), it's not suprising that occasionally people kick back.

Whatever you think of that, IMO, it's a point to be discussed, not grounds for deletion.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
AArgh no no no, hostility grrr lets all just zen

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
lol, and this is why the first reply in this thread stated:

"i'm not totally sure this new thread was nessesiary, but when the mods find it i suppose they can decide"

so how bout everyone just chills wink

and btw sethis, the fact that icklepurklegirl more or less quoted rule one and two of fight club would suggest to me that its meant to be taken light-heartedly wink

meditate calm thyselves

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:

The member title is "Newbie" which indicates that they haven't made many posts. (This is the only post I've seen by them) and they obviously aren't really bothered about first impressions.

who are you calling a newbie you newbie shrug biggrin

werent' we all new once?

I'm in a long term relationship and still found it funny - especially number 10... ubblol

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
*chokes*

What on earth am I supposed to do here? *manically flicks through Home Of Poi Moderator Guide Book, which has DON'T PANIC! in huge glowing letters across the page*

I wish that you Discussion Types would stop lending so much logic and reason to threads like this one. Makes my job harder (read: justifying moderator actions). wink

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: flash fire

*chokes*

What on earth am I supposed to do here? *manically flicks through Home Of Poi Moderator Guide Book, which has DON'T PANIC! in huge glowing letters across the page*

I wish that you Discussion Types would stop lending so much logic and reason to threads like this one. Makes my job harder (read: justifying moderator actions). wink

My advice would be to leave it for a while and watch what happens.

Then again, as I've been defending the threads right to exist, I am somewhat biased smile

(the reason I've defended it is because I felt there was something akin to mild bullying going on, certainly, IMO, the reasons given for its locking didn't seem to make much sense).

It seems to me that it will either take off, in which case it clearly is offering something that the previous 'singles' thread didn't; or, it will sink without trace, in which case locking/deletion is unnecessary.

Sorry if there's too much reason in that- it's 5.00 am and my emotions have fallen asleep, leaving my being functioning on pure logic smile

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
*sits back & drinks a tea*

I hope all this furor hasn't dragged any non singles in here, that would be a serious breach of etiquette, and would certainly require some sort of lawsuit.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
So sue me *snuggles with partner of 4-years*

wink

Thanks OWD. GO TO BED!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Written by: GeoffonTour04

I hope all this furor hasn't dragged any non singles in here, that would be a serious breach of etiquette, and would certainly require some sort of lawsuit.

ubblol

Can't I just have a foot in neither camp? I don't really think of myself as "a single", although I am not really seeing anyone ongoing, and definitely am not part of a "couple"...

ubbidea

Maybe I should be posting in the [Old link] thread!!!

ubblol
EDITED_BY: Rozi (1138338597)

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
ubblol well OWD, the thread has really taken off in debate over whether it should exist or not.............

*single and not caring* wink

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
So anyway, being single is crap.. wink

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Written by: flash fire

So sue me *snuggles with partner of 4-years*

Now we definitely have a problem now the moderator isn't allowed in here ubblol

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
i think the mods can over-rule non-mod directives wink

how is being single crap?

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
OK, fine. I'll go through this catagorically.

1. I guess I was a little harsh, and should apologise. I was already tired and in quite a bad mood. I guess I should have left it at the first post I made.

2. I'm not giving reasons for the thread's deletion, I was giving reasons why/how I thought the poster had issues.

3. OWD I'm not bullying anyone, I'm stating my opinion and it's in disagreement with the thread's author. Bullying would involve intimidation, verbal abuse and so on and so forth. I wasn't saying "Come on everyone, let's gang up on the noob!!". I knew when I wrote it that I'd be in the minority with my opinion, and I can live with that.

4. Yes I'm aware we were all new. I'm not disputing that, however one would have to be either blind or very selective in their thread reading to avoid noticing that people have recently been gettig upset over the amount of rubbish in chat. Creating a thread which immediately alienates, what, half of the target audience isn't really constructive IMO. Someone posted a joke of about 3 lines about women a few weeks ago, and it got shouted down as biased an inflammatory. I fail to see the difference here, in fact the joke was probably less offensive.

5. I have no issues with single people, and don't see them as "Ill" or anything else. Most of my friends are single, and I've been single most of my life. There are pros and cons to being in a relationship, just like there are pros and cons to being single.

6. Yes I had a strong reaction to the post, especially the bit about (joking or not) breaking up other people. I'm still (months later) having to deal with the sh!tstorm whipped up by someone trying (and failing, thank god) to break me and my GF up. Forgive me if I'm not really too objective in my viewpoint.

You're happy being single, I'm happy about being in a relationship. Can't we just be happy with that? Why all the hyperbole about one or the other being "Better"? More divisions about Us vs Them doesn't help anyone.

Damn, I think I still sound angry... umm Maybe I'll go hold my GF until I calm down... wink biggrin ubblol

Edit: With all respect to icklepurklegirl, I did take a position, as the title suggests, it was just diametrically opposed to them! rolleyes
EDITED_BY: Sethis (1138363966)

shoshanahSILVER Member
enthusiast
232 posts

Posted:
Sethis i understand why your angry but i took the post light harted i dont think he/she was meaning to offend people and i cant see ne1 trying to break people up on hop if they did they shouldnt be on here. may be i took it the wrong way or may be you did. i took it as a joke but i can see your point.

life is what you make it and what you want it to be

Page: