Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
OK, before anyone says anything, anything at all, I am well aware that this is mentioned in Glass' Jedi Moves thread. That's where I heard about it. But I didn't see an explanation of how it actually works. It might well be that on page 2,000,000 of that thread an explanation is offered but I think this is the best way to get maybe a couple of explanations together. Maybe there are different ways or whatever. So, how does it work? And in the Jedi thread it says it's hardest in the wall planes, is that weaving from one side to the other like a normal weave rather than across your front and back like in a waist wrap?

Will those capable of telekinesis please raise my hand?

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
if you can do it with 3bt you can do it with 5bt (well if you have cleaned your 5bt enough

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
[Can of Worms]
It also depends on how you define forward and reverse BTB...

What you call a rev BTB, I might call a forward BTB...
[/Can of Worms]

wink ubblol

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

pitmanSILVER Member
addict
544 posts

Posted:
call my think but what does bt mean???

DONT DO DRUGS THERE BAD FOR YOU.
SO GIVE THEM ALL TO ME AND I WILL GET RID OF THEM FOR YOU!

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
'bt' is an abbreviation of 'Beat'

'BTB' is an abbreviation of 'Behind the Back'

smile

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

pitmanSILVER Member
addict
544 posts

Posted:
thanks i new btb but i never new bt

DONT DO DRUGS THERE BAD FOR YOU.
SO GIVE THEM ALL TO ME AND I WILL GET RID OF THEM FOR YOU!

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Think of it like this:

3 beat weave is:

cross-2-3 cross-2-3 cross-2-3 cross-2-3 and so on
(where 'cross' is the first beat to move to the other side of your body, and '2' and '3' are the second and third beats)

Then when you want to turn it's like this:

turn-2-3 turn-2-3 (the 180 degree turn is split into two 90 degree turns)

With the 5 beat you have:
cross-2-3-4-5 cross-2-3-4-5 cross-2-3-4-5 cross-2-3-4-5 and so on

and when you turn it's like this:

turn-2-3-4-5 turn-2-3-4-5 (once again the 180 degree turn is split into two 90 degree turns)

So that's what should be going through your head when counting the beats.

In front of the body is the same as behind the body, the only thing is your elbows don't quite bend in the right direction.

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Get the BTB 5 bts clean in both directions and the turns will come in much the same way as they do infront of you, in wall plane etc. Thats how I got BTB 5bt turns working.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
5bt to rev5bt btb???? what the hell is that meant to mean? dose it mean do a 5bt weave in front of you (presumably forewards...) and move to a reverse 5bt btb weave?

or dose it mean go from foreards to backwackwards btb ??

or something else... dose anyone else have a clear idea of what that abbrevation means?

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
That's exactly my point oli, I don't know what this trick is smile. The abbreviation says "five beat to reverse five beat behind the back" And either of the options you suggest could make sense. That's why I started the thread, I want to get to the bottom of what this trick is. OK, so what I understood from the description in the jedi thread was that you have a five beat weave going forwards (when the poi reach the top of the spin they are travelling away from you), and then somehow you switch to a five beat weave behind your back with the poi moving backwards (then when they reach the top of the spin they are traveling away from you but since they are behind your back this means that they are spinning in the opposite direction to when they were in front of you). This sounded pretty crazy and I couldn't get my head around it. So did it mean what I have just described or was it just behind the back five beat weave turns like other people seem to be describing here?
EDITED_BY: Tom_Shill (1138286652)

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Hello, as Tom asked me to post:

The original intention was:
5 beat weave behind the back in the wall plane to
5 beat reverse weave behind the back in wall plane

LTC You're trying to be a pedant now. The sign convention doesn't make any difference as there is a forward and a backward in there. smile so you can put a lid back on that can of wriggly things.

Tom the one that you are having trouble imagining is not so hard, you just need to turn your body half a turn and do a big carry with one poi to put it btb
Don't use wall plane for this:
5 beat weave infront then transition by
turing half a turn and making carry to
5 beat reverse weave BTB.
tada biggrin

Ps I'm going to hide this comment here: I just watched the pre productiong of "The scales of poi" DVD, It is essential viewing for any advanced uber poi geek. Soo many concepts and such clean control. smile

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: Glåss

Ps I'm going to hide this comment here: I just watched the pre productiong of "The scales of poi" DVD, It is essential viewing for any advanced uber poi geek. Soo many concepts and such clean control. smile

that's some top notch understated gloating right there wink

hug2

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
So the carry is like in a full waist wrap: across the bottom in front, over the top behind and then into reverse one the left? *grabs poi and runs into coridoor for a try*

Yeah that works, nice one! Thanks for clearing that up smile
EDITED_BY: Tom_Shill (1138297186)