Page:
PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Brief Pele history.....

I was born and given the name Starlynne.
I was adopted when I was 4 and my name was changed to simply Lynne.

I hate the name Lynne. Hate it on me that is. I have never felt comfortable in it. I have never felt as if it suited me in the least bit. In fact, and humiliatingly enough, most of the other "Lynn/e's" I know are male. Though it does mean beauty and river.

Now, when I first found all this name stuff out I was 21 and met my biological maternal family. Ewwww. I wanted nothing to do with them, at all. And while I really like the name Starlynne, alot, I didn't want to accept it because it came from them (petty aye?) and because I was afraid that I would offend my adoptive family.
No longer having those hang ups, and facing a really huge turning point in my life, I am concidering changing my name back. Not for my friends who know me, and most of you already call me Pele, which I like very much as well, but more for those I have yet to meet. I was wondering what you all think? I have spoken with several friends and I find it interesting.

ALso, how many of you are comfortable in your names? I know from the video Sage wasn't, so she changed it. My friend Denise said she wasn't until recently and my friend Jen hates her name with a passion.
Since I love names alot, and put alot of time and thought into naming my characters in stories and when I do interactive shows, I thought I'd get your opinions.
Thanks!
Me...by all names!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Tikamember
106 posts

Posted:
My real name is Tania but I go by Tatjana. I hate the name Tania because my dad named me that and I am not to fond of my dad to say the least. My mom was going to name me Tatjana so I have adopted that name in honor of her (she passed away 4 years ago). Plus I like Tatjana better and it suits me more.

ivan..member
165 posts

Posted:
i have been called Ivan since i wass little ( umm smaller ) but my christian name is Richard Andrew Burke. I asked dad why everyone called me ivan .. he suggested that everyone needed an alias... My dads name is Charles Richard , everyone calls him jerry.. my grandads name was Andrew Charles..every one called him Harry, i'm just glad i got tagged with Ivan instead of barry or larry ....

i like ivan, it suits me ... i have considered legally changing my name , but really whats the point. i know that when someone asks for Ivan then it's usually a friend or someone who got my name from a friend.. if someone asks for richard then i know it's someone who got my information from a sheet...

whats that old joke you can call me anything you want just don't call me late for supper.....

pax,
sheila

thats right i look like an albino ape that has had a bad day.. go ahead say something stupid... i dare ya !

caniffisSILVER Member
60 posts

Posted:
my mother was going to call me James. one day though durring the pregnancy she came home and said to my father that i was definatly not a James i was a Guy. well i am Guy and it fits me i suppose.
we create the image of names from the people we meet with them. names that we have no person to reference against oftn should good because they are open to posibility. although not always, for the same reason.
Pele for you, you are not a name you are the person you are and that creats your name for other people. the same as looking at a mirror, we are not used to seeing our own faces so we often find them strange and want to change them. but others are used to seeing them so relat how you are to your face and it seems natural. do not think of a name as caracturising you, think of it as you characterising the name!

What you don't know won't hurt you? well i intend to get to know as much as possible so that i can make sure no one else has to so they carn't get hurt.

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Ok I shall put some of you out your 'misery'

Annette.... (cringe)

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
Pele, I think that you should change your real name to Pele, it's probably the nicest sounding name I've ever heard, and with all it's reference to fire, etc it's perfect! If you want your name to suit who you are then Pele it is!!!

For me, I was born a David, I quite like it but it's a bit too common.

As for pyrophile, I hate it!!! It was the first thing that popped into my head when I first arrived at HOP and if I'd known I would have liked the site as much as I have I would have thought more about my username. In fact, to hell with it, I'm going to change it right now to my DJ and nickname...Salinger!

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
Ahhh, that feels much better!

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
I like the name David or Dave.. I used to go out with a guy called Dave, he was really nice.. My sister is living with a Dave and my best friend was seeing a Dave - it is a coomen name - but every Dave I've ever met has ALWAYS been really nice and fanciable..

Dave's are good blokes!

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
That is so sweet of you, cheers!

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
I should have said *from experience* 'Daves are nice'

Not met you yet Dave.. you could be the objection to the rule...

but if Strugz gives you the thumbs up then I suppose I'll include you in the 'all Dave's are nice' gang too

just jeasting mate - Niki

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
names are so important, though even so just a shorthand of whichever of many kinds they might be.

they help make us who we are,

then we make them.

you may like a name whose story must be told to be appreciated; i have several names in several cultures so they draw on stories in each culture, yet all mean, within their core expression, fire - brother - sacred.

a name is almost meaningless when it's merely a sound-signal, like "oi there, #25103B3Q, you!" if the name doesn't enrich you, how far is "Lynne" from "#25103B3Q," & how far away from one which does enrich you?

have as rich a name as who you are, who you wish to become, who & what & how you admire.

Pele's breaths of volcanic fires aspires our mama Earth to show the brighter starflames around us that we're fire-flaring too.

with all my love,

~ Mikie

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by pyrophile:
Pele, I think that you should change your real name to Pele, it's probably the nicest sounding name I've ever heard, and with all it's reference to fire, etc it's perfect! If you want your name to suit who you are then Pele it is!!!
The thing is that she's not just about fire. There are other things in her life.
That and the fact that a major soccer player is named Pele. She sometimes gets emails for him.

I've never had this problem. I am a Mark Frank. Named after my Dad's best friend, and my Father's Father. I feel that they fit me. Mark is a very strong sounding word. Frank I wasn't fond of until I realized where it was from. Now I am quite proud of it.

Oh, and StarLynne. Wee, pfbfbfp

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

Tambomember
97 posts

Posted:
I like my name too! Its Tamsin, but often, very often I get called Tasmin. Which annoys me. I worked at this place once and this guy could not get his head round my name at all and had to call me T!
And my surname is Buckley but my real family name is Buggy but my paternal grandmother made my grandfather change it when they got married cos she refused to be called Mrs Buggy!!! which I am quite happy about!
My middle name is Sophie so my initals are TSB - for uk poiiers I do like to say yes!!!

And about changing your name, wasn't it Shakespeare who said: What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other word would smell as sweet.

If it makes you happy do it! Thats what I say! You could always try it for a while and see how it makes you feel when you hear people calling you it.

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
Well my name's Regan, it means little king in Gaelic (Irish Gaelic i think). I never used to like it. But I do now that I've grown up a bit. I'm proud of my name and my heritage (Irish And Scottish). That and I only know of 4 people with that my name. My uncle is one of them. It's Gaelic and it's pagan. So it's all good.

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

lollipurple penguin- soon to be
478 posts
Location: playing with the pixies at the arsse end of the mi...

Posted:
pele, as stated, trust your own instincts if changing your name is what you want to do, be it that its used by most or not, then you should definatly do it, though starlynn, lynn and pele are all lovely names.

my real name is Laure Jaqualine Thei, though Laure is always spelt as laura. its meant to be something in association of the laural tree though laure is the fench translation. like Mike my middle name was given from jewish tradition and was after my uncle jack who died in WW2 as an RAF pilot. Thei. .i dont know, theres no other family that we know who have the same name (theres a celtic surname prononced the same but its spelt Theigh or someting like that). it originated from china (from the word chai but then changed as it moved from there to greece, poland and eventually south africa (it didnt change spelling coming to the uk).

though this is my name i havent gone by it for a long long time, tis always been lolli/ lol and thats what i more associate with, laura is far too common in this country with an e or not.

a name is not what defines a person, obviously *doh*, but to feel happy with it shows a happiness in oneself and tis the important part of it. but again tis just what methinks

hugs and fluff
lolli x

My spelling wobbles. its very good spelling but it wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong place

Page: