Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The indoor, low ceiling tripple rotation toss

Login/Join to Participate

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Ok, so I'm at work and I go bored. So here's a challenge. From any pattern, (I find weave is my strongest rotational beginner...), indoors (8' ceiling), do a rotating poi toss and get it to rotate three full turns before grabbing it and continuing IN THE SAME PATTERN.

Didn't take me that long to get it, but its a fun time waster. Ya really got get the sucker rotatin pretty fast.

Then try working up to it, doing one rotational toss, two rotational toss, and three rotational toss: decent exercise to build good control of changing tempos?

Hehe biggrin

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
why you don't try to throw your poi and give it a rotational spin in the opposite rotational sense??
It is great!!!
try a syncronous parallel throw with your poi, make something like a stop and find the momentum to give the opposit rotation to the poi before you release them...

Let's try!!

Acciaio devil

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Or throw the poi vertically but spin the chain horizontally, then continue spinning vertical wink

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Hmmmm, so like a tap-back? Or a horizontal (propellor) toss? Not sure I understand...

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
I was thinkin about that the other day... Somethin like this:

Take a long arm butterfly. As the poi come upward to the point of 180 degrees opposite (read momentum of heads would be straight upward), you release, but spin your body 180 degrees at the same time thus pushing both handles in opposite horizontal directions. Then you catch both of them as they descend (at the point where they have spun a full 360 horizontally of course) and continue into a butterfly pattern.

Now from above, this SHOULD look, or at least function, vaguely like a set of three interlocked cogs: your body (center cog) turning the other two in opposite directions (the seperate poi). From the side it should look freakin freaky...

Ok, first one to get that one wins my applause. smile

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Oh, AND they have to rotate 3 complete times HORIZONTALLY now... with an 8' ceiling. ubbloco

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
8 feet is soooo not low.

I learned flowers with a 7 foot or less ceiling. tongue Learned my tossing that way too.

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Didn't say it was necessarily impressive. Just said te try a tripple 360 degree rotation with that alotted space! I can probably do all my single and double rotational tosses at that height of ceiling too... but tripples, well hey... that's something only a REAL poi Nerd would do.

smile smile smile

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
throwing stuff and getting lots of spins in under a low ceiling?

that sounds more like something a juggling nerd would do to me tongue

i have lots of videos to prove the trend... ubblol

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Written by: KaelGotRice

8 feet is soooo not low.

I learned flowers with a 7 foot or less ceiling. tongue Learned my tossing that way too.

awwwww.....Kael you must be tiny! I can't even stretch my arms out without hitting a 7 foot ceiling...never mind having my poi on the end of them!

Let's relight this forum ubblove

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
<- 5 foot 7 inches-ish

i checked, my ceiling is 7 feet and an inch in my bedroom, give or take an inch.

The way I learned flowers were lopsided until the weather warmed and I went outside. ubblol You should see how many paint scratches and black marks there are on my ceiling.

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
*grrr...damn lucky short indoor practising people*

Let's relight this forum ubblove

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
LOL. Yea I have lots of those marks on my ceiling too, but most of em are from my staff.... smile

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
oh how i love my 16 foot high ceiling.

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
i'm guessing you mean the toss is isolated, but do you consider "three turns" to be three 180s or three 360s?!

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Three 360's of course! 180's would be too easy... smile