SmOfmember
51 posts

Posted:
I lit my staff for the first time last night! ubblove But I found that when I held it still, I could hear some little popping noises from inside the pole...they were'nt really loud, but...huh??? following instructions on the card - it said before you light up for the first time to condition the wicks by soaking them for a few minutes them lighting and extinguishing them a couple of times. It is possible that the popping was fuel boiling? Could it have managed to get inside the staff while it was soaking?

or perhaps it was just trying to communicate with me... eek
please help?

Perfectly insane O.o

>>lover of chocolate biscuits<<

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
It might have been air inside the staff expanding with the heat, or the metal heating up. That's about all I can think of... Fuel shouldn't have been boiling if you squeezed off the excess. It would have to be a *really* bad staff to get paraffin inside it. Unless it's one of those kapok-inside-the-tube things. shrug

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

SmOfmember
51 posts

Posted:
Written by: Sethis

Unless it's one of those kapok-inside-the-tube things. shrug

how do you mean???

having the air heating up makes sense too...

Perfectly insane O.o

>>lover of chocolate biscuits<<

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
You can get staffs that has kapok cotton inside the staff tubing, this absorbs paraffin and allegedly give longer burn times. I've never seen one myself, and I assume you would have noticed when you bought it if it did have that.

Where were you listening to it? In the middle or the ends? Sometimes you can get popping sounds because you've got impurities/bits of dirt on the wicks, and they combust with a strange noise.

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
a couple of minutes? i've been told to soak for hours before a first burn..........

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Well they say you should soak poi, but that is a myth you dont needs too. Ide imagine itle be the same for staff wouldnt it?

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Written by: Mr Majestik

a couple of minutes? i've been told to soak for hours before a first burn..........

I've never ever done that. smile

Were the wicks wet?

The only time my wicks have ever made a noise was when I left it out in the rain. There was still some water left in the wicks, and it crackled and popped.

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
Are the ends of the tubing covered or filled with something? Sounds like fuel burning down the inside of the staff...

monkeys ate my brain