*:.Keira.:*newbie
14 posts

Posted:
Hulloo everyone, I haven't posted here much but today think I'll start off by asking what does everyone do for a living?

I've got the work dolldrums (spelling?) today and wish I did something better.. I know everyone here is a bit free spirited and probably have much more fantastic jobs than one behind a desk!

I do graphic & web design for a travel company (a little creative I hear you say) but I still find it sucks the life out of me..

I'm hoping to start my own web design business from home where I can just answer to myself while I sing along to my fave songs and have my incense on.. haha llaalalalaa juggle

oxox Keira

meow meow meow meow

_FSA_now comes with skydiving license
1,627 posts

Posted:
well im still a poor little student, but i guess i do have 2 jobs in a way. the main circus im in (The Suitcase Circus) which my sister (Ilsanya) and i are the founders of, get gigs and shows all the time so that brings in a regular income (we usually get hired or we busk at events and things) smile

the other job is teaching at our local kidies circus, the circus is mainly comprised of little kids so Ilsanya and i are often hired as trainers there... biggrin

so yeah...thats about all...well until i finish this damn thing they call education!!

Proudly owned by the very cute Pineapple Pete. Owner of Noddy. Joint owner of Mr Majestik.

14 posts

Posted:
Written by: Fire_Spinning_Angel

well im still a poor little student, but i guess i do have 2 jobs in a way. the main circus im in (The Suitcase Circus) which my sister (Ilsanya) and i are the founders of, get gigs and shows all the time so that brings in a regular income (we usually get hired or we busk at events and things) smile

the other job is teaching at our local kidies circus, the circus is mainly comprised of little kids so Ilsanya and i are often hired as trainers there... biggrin

so yeah...thats about all...well until i finish this damn thing they call education!!

awww wow well im jealous already! oh to be in a circus! no sitting at a desk for you! what do you plan to do when you finish study though?

meow meow meow meow

Fire BunnySILVER Member
veteran
1,260 posts

Posted:
i work at a store called First Mobile, and we see vodafone phones. is quite a cool job, and the best iv had so far, but like all things it were's you down. good thing about it is that its localy (yeah i really cant spell) owned, so we dont have to follow all the rules of company owned stores, and Phil does really look after us. and plus i get to have the latest cell phones and play with lots of really cool gadgits that i sometimes don't really understant tongue

What if we think the jokes on them,
But really - the jokes on us....

and also... i wuv Rougie *snuz*

1,627 posts

Posted:
im not really sure. . .im planning to go to uni but after that, who knows!!

yeah its awsome when you get to do what you enjoy doing (for me its circus) and get paid for it too!! biggrin but its not all sunshine and roses, a wole heap of workd goes on behind the scenes that no one sees, it takes a lot of preperation before any gig. but i know i dont mind all that, coz it gives me a chance to practice what i love smile

also a downside is the injuries, firstly you get hurt much more often than you would in a desk job, and secondly if you do get hurt it means you cant work. im continually getting injured and it does become a little off putting. but still, i wouldnt trade this job for the world!! biggrin

Proudly owned by the very cute Pineapple Pete. Owner of Noddy. Joint owner of Mr Majestik.

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
I got into my course (Advanced Dip of Justice) this year but I chose to defer so I'm staying around hometown to earn some money. I'm travelling a little this year too.

But for now, I'm a pizza delivery girl...redface ubblol

I'm looking for a proper job though.

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

1,627 posts

Posted:
Written by: roarfire

But for now, I'm a pizza delivery girl...redface ubblol

haha not sure why i find this so funny, maybe its got something to do with the fact that a while ago when the circus was just starting up i was looking into a job as a pizza delivery girl...or a paper girl ubblol

jublianGOLD Member
x
108 posts

Posted:
i make burgers/ make chicken/ serve customers at kfc redface frown

talk about free spirited

I did work as a waiter in an indian restaurant but i quite cos the otehr waiter was a real tard

"Quote coming soon..."

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
i got accepted into nursing up at launceston today. i'll probably deffer and work in a bar for a year, but them maybe i could join u and saan in the circus! biggrin

yay for long term plans(as scary as they are)

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
I work at the local BP, which is a petrol station, but as I am under 18 I cant work the console... so... I clean. Yup, Im the cleaning b*tch! it's annoying, but another 10 months and I can move onto console, YAY!

14 posts

Posted:
hmm yeah I used to work at maccas (did for years) and actually really loved it but after I finished studying I fell under the pressure to get a "real" job.. but real jobs suck.. I'd love to work in a bar or BP or be a pizza delivery girl forever.. but still get paid well.

I wish I could firetwirl for a living! I hate money! arhhhhh

meow meow meow meow

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I'm a waitress at a Turkish restaurant.

And before this I was an English teacher in Romania.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Firetrampold hand
898 posts

Posted:
I'm a teacher. Secondary school but I'm hoping to start a backpackers hostel next year.

Ask a question and be a fool for a minute...don't ask and be a fool your whole life.

Pen DravenUnofficial Lord Of Confusion And Pirate Extrodinaire
1,363 posts

Posted:
I'm a Systems Manager for a Repro company in London,, tiz dull as hell at times but has the advantage of having an insanely fast internet connection and more importantly than that lots of mac's and very few pc's biggrin

Some men see things and say why....

I Dream of things that never were and say Why Not....?

Oh No I'm going to get Shot Alive if he finds out - DA wink

jcrsGOLD Member
the floor is a sea of tigers...
404 posts

Posted:
web design for a travel company? that's not so bad... I do web design for a government department :P
sometimes it does indeed suck the life out of me, but then i guess you'd have to find something that pumps the life back into you smile

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
i'm a qualified scaffolder but i'm unemployed at the moment, the job its self has it's up's and down's (giggle)

i would love to go traveling working my way around from place to place

then maybe settle down and work for a forestry commision or something

Pen DravenUnofficial Lord Of Confusion And Pirate Extrodinaire
1,363 posts

Posted:
Rave that was dire ubbloco ubbloco ubbloco > Although i love the sound of working for the Forestry commission,, ohhh trees ubblove ubblove Working in the city gets me down so much

Some men see things and say why....

I Dream of things that never were and say Why Not....?

Oh No I'm going to get Shot Alive if he finds out - DA wink

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
i know...great wasn't it hahaubblol

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
I'm a carer, and work in a rest home. Have done for nearly 4 years.
Only a saturday job though.
Last saturday was the first time somebody died on my shift.
It was weird..

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
I have no actual job (don't like em much, may be forced to get a bar job this spring but that's IT!). I'm at college(music) atm & my spare time is spent learning music related things - instrumental skill, theory, history & context, recording techniques, business related skills etc.
Hopefully if I leave college with a reasonable grade I can do the same sort of thing at a uni, and if that goes well I'll probably try get a job as a session music etc, mebbe give the fame thing a go tongue

LostSurferSILVER Member
I'd be in trouble if I had to eat an antelope now
278 posts

Posted:
I'm currently working as crew on a freight boat on the Isles of Scilly. I'm also the relief skipper and i get to drive the post boat delivering the post to the other islands. Not so nice in the winter as it gets pretty choppy! However, in the summer its pretty damn good being outside cruising on the water smile

"Everything in moderation. Even moderation itself. From this it follows that you must, from time to time, have excess. And this is going to be one of those occasions"

14 posts

Posted:
Written by: Firetramp

I'm a teacher. Secondary school but I'm hoping to start a backpackers hostel next year.

neat, I hope it goes well. I'm very into this working for ourselves thing at the moment smile

meow meow meow meow

14 posts

Posted:
Written by: The Misguided Oracle

web design for a travel company? that's not so bad... I do web design for a government department :P

sometimes it does indeed suck the life out of me, but then i guess you'd have to find something that pumps the life back into you smile

heh, well how about you get me a job? I quite like the idea of flex time.. smile

I just hate the constant criticism from my boss (who knows nothing about design..marketing.. etc) on everything i do. I would at the moment rather be an accountant cause at least there's only a right and a wrong, not a 'hmmmmmm I think the font should be impact not arial because I like it better' aaaaaaarghhh!!!!! eek

Written by: *Aimée*

I'm a carer, and work in a rest home. Have done for nearly 4 years.

Only a saturday job though.

Last saturday was the first time somebody died on my shift.

It was weird..

oh wow that's pretty full on. I was thinking the other day how I could never do a job like that, I haven't got the stomach, plus I'm such a sensitive little thing, I'd get too upset!
EDITED_BY: *:.Keira.:* (1138055238)

meow meow meow meow

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
post boat? thats awesome lost surfer, i wish i was a post-boatman

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

jcrsGOLD Member
404 posts

Posted:
Written by: *:.Keira.:*

heh, well how about you get me a job? I quite like the idea of flex time.. smile
I just hate the constant criticism from my boss (who knows nothing about design..marketing.. etc) on everything i do. I would at the moment rather be an accountant cause at least there's only a right and a wrong, not a 'hmmmmmm I think the font should be impact not arial because I like it better' aaaaaaarghhh!!!!! eek

Haha, lets see if I can even seem to keep myself employed there :P I'm offically a contractor there and trying to convince them that to extend my contract *again* :P
Used to be a freelancer, but problem is that i started freelancing too eary (big big mistake)...

14 posts

Posted:
Written by: The Misguided Oracle

Haha, lets see if I can even seem to keep myself employed there :P I'm offically a contractor there and trying to convince them that to extend my contract *again* :P
Used to be a freelancer, but problem is that i started freelancing too eary (big big mistake)...

ooh really, can I ask why it was a big big mistake?
I am just started to do work that I can find from home in my after hours.. what's the difference between freelance and contract? freelancers go into the actual companies and work while they need them don't they? contracters is more like what I'm doing?

ah! scared now! AHHH! hope I'll be alright!

meow meow meow meow

jcrsGOLD Member
404 posts

Posted:
problem with going freelance at the start of your career is that you haven't developed a network of contacts yet, so work will be very sparodic and you won't know when you're gonna get paid next. and in my case, it has made a negative impact on my future plans.

freelancing and contracting are basically the same... although the only distinction that i find is that contractors go and work in their employeer's workplace while freelancers don't have to. other than that, they are generally hired on a project to project basis.