Forums > Social Chat > Gmail is getting better

Login/Join to Participate

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Suddenly, you can delete emails. I LOVE this. I mean, archive and lots of space are great, but I don't actually want to keep every non-spam email I recieve either.

The search function is sooo lurvely, of course, and the ads are actullay well funny,

But my favourite part is still the emails grouped as converstions.

Altho, they need to come up with a better way to do it than subject heading in some respects because i got my dad and a boy i fancy on the same email (Happy New Year). So some things down and some to go tongue

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

TheScientistBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
oh cool!

i find i accumulate all the random verification emails (eg from the bank) that i really dont need any more... introduction of delete will be nice smile

Juggling Jack FlashGOLD Member
Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
While there are areas to improve on, today I discovered that the add at the top was a link to HoP. Can't fault them there

Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you land among the stars

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Delete was in the drop down menu before.....now it is so much easier to find!

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Yes, delete was always there - I've not used it yet though, because I always want to keep non-spam and the spam gets removed from the spam folder after 30 days.

Gmail is ok - but I think we'll see a lot more now Yahoo! has an outlook style look to it's mail.

Why anyone would try to copy Microsoft Outlook I have no idea, it's a horrid program made worse by the interface.

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
/me loves Gmail

Some random little tidbits for you guys that most people don't know..

A lot of people filled out their addy's like requested so they end up with something like 'joe.schmo@gmail.com' if you wanted to leave out that dot you're in luck because gmail really doesn't care. JoeSchmo is the same as Joe.Schmo. in the same context gmail also accepts + addressing, which can be used as a way to aid in filtering your emails. Joeschmo+HoP@gmail.com for example, then just create your filter to label anything with HOP in the To: field and you're good to go. Very handy for sorting things out. When you sign up for various sites like ebay or amazon put that +someword in there.

By default, gmail saves every unique email address that you send a message to and adds it to your contact list. Some consider that bad and/or annoying, sometimes is a godsend. However, instead of going through the hassle of adding/editing a contact you can do it all when you send them your first message, or at least most of it. Gmail's contacts generally goes something like

"name" ,

So the first time you send an email to your friend Joey, in the to: type in "Joey" and it will add joeschmo.com to your contact list with Joey as the name. From then on just typing Joey in the to: field should bring up his address for you.

Last trick for now.. Selective forwarding:

Filters have a new "Forward it to: emailaddress" action letting you selectivly forward emails based on filter criteria. You can use the same or different email addresss for each filter... Can be very handy..

There are also round about ways to use Gmail as a spam filter for other emails by doing forwarding loops and such to send it through gmail and back to itself, gmail sucking out the spam..

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
ubblol

So at the top of my spam folder the advertisement is for....

"Vineyard Spam Salad... Combine grapes, peapods, onions and spam in large bowl"

ubblol

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
As google mail/gmail now has a rather funky chat function i thought i could turn this into a list of people adresses

mine is yoni1990 googlemail <.> com (dang, wish i'd got there arlier so i could have a cool gmail acount)
EDITED_BY: yoni (1149193105)

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
as a suggestion, don't leave your address clickable like that or the spam bots will come....

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
thanks, forgot about that.

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Any chance that anyone can send me an invite so I can check out this wonderous emailage myself?

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
Sent you one

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
thank you biggrin

HatsuyukiSILVER Member
37 posts

Posted:
I'm very happy with Gmail. I think it does everything I need, I can combine webmail and popmail as I need it and I ditched all those adresses I don't need anymore. smile

And I'm not fed up with the amount of ads yet smile

I don't suffer from insanity - I enjoy every minute of it.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
am I the only one that is concerned about gmail's storing of emails... confused