roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Today there were severe bushfire warnings and the whole state had a total fire ban.

There were huge fires about 2 hours away from where I live. Towns being evactuated etc. So today I found myself reading up on fires and what to do in case etc.

I was working tonight. (I'm a pizza delivery girl ubblol)

Coming back to the shop from a delivery I saw a fire truck and some cars with flashing lights speed off towards a near by town....I don't know what happened but I'll find out tomorrow on the news.

But wait, there's more:

As I was driving to my next delivery house, a power pole/powerline thing, and this big power box thing was on fire! It wasn't a huge fire, but it was getting worse so it was kind of frightning. I pulled over on the other side of the road and there were two younger teenagers, a boy and girl (15-16ish) just standing there watching.

I got out and asked if anyone had called the CFA and they said no. They just stood there watching from over the road and no one else in any surrounding houses seemed to have noticed. No one was around. I dialled 000 and got ahold of the fire line and told them what was happening.

Then I ran over to the house that the fire was outside of and knocked on the door a couple of times but no one was home. It looked like an abandoned house. The door was hot, but I don't know if I was just imagining it or not though...it was probably my sweaty hot palms!

The fire was up high on the power box thing but it was dripping down onto the dry grass and there was a little fire starting to happen. Automatically I wanted to run over and try to put it out but then I thought.. It was an electrical fire = unpredictible. It could have exploded, or the melted power cord could have dropped onto me. So I didn't. I'm pretty sure I did the right thing there.

I had to leave and go on and deliver the pizza which was about a block away. I was a little shaken by it and I told the man, apologised for the lateness and he asked me if I wanted to come in and sit down and have a glass of water but I said no because I had another delivery to do. My hands were shaking heaps when I was giving him his change so I would have looked like a bit of an idiot!

After the deliveries I drove past the scene and the fire brigade had arrived, and they blocked that part of the road. The were just kind of standing around just casually like nothing had happened, the fire had been extinguished.

For a minute there I thought that I hallucinated it all and that they might have thought it was a hoax or something! redface

It probably seems like nothing to you guys, but I've never experienced anything like that before. I've never had to make an emergency call.

I can't help but think there might have been people in the house? Like what if there was and they'd been electricuted or dead or something? Should I have gone inside to check?

I dunno, it was just a really weird night. My mind is crazy sometimes so I was questioning everything, it went really fast and I didn't really know what to do. So I apologise if I come across as being a paranoid over-reactor/coward/sook!

But yeah, thanks for listening. I needed to get that off my chest! smile

Oh and then when I got back to the shop....we had sold out of pizza ubblol

hug

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
smile

Brave girl

hug

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
hug

At least you're ok... smile

Well done, you did the right thing. ANd those boys!? The word Dumbass springs to mind...

have another hug

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
Written by: Leaning_Towards_Corruption

Dumbass

hehe dumbass ubblol

you indeedly did the right thing calling the emergancy sirvices hug

heyahoneyBRONZE Member
Redneck Woman
566 posts

Posted:
poor baby
hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug

Top Three Things I've Learn While Being A Mom
1. Baby poop comes in many colors.
2. Makes sure all dirty diapers are not accessable to my dog.
3. Burp rags are not big enough.

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
yay! go steph! biggrin hug

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!