Forums > Social Chat > Poi to pumping techno problems

Login/Join to Participate

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I did my first gig there about 2 weeks ago and I found that the music was much faster than what I normally spin to. I decided afterwards that it probably caused me to make mistakes I wouldn't normally make because I was trying to do everything at massive pace.

Has anyone experienced this before and do they have any advice besides the obvious practice at faster speeds.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Hiya - I know this feeling soooo well.. I had an audition oinks ago for the festie circuit next year.. the music there was waaayyyy fast.. I messed up loads.. (but it's cool we got the gig anyway and I got a part time job with him - anyway..) try taking every other beat or every third.. helps with hard house and D&B it looks good and helps prevent heart attacks and head aches

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Will give that a try, was just thinking there would it be easier with shorter chains?

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
or.. you could try that too...

although that might limit some of the tricks you can do..

either or - potato - patota

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Potato please...

In preference to shorter strings which can give a really different feel and limit some tricks, try just using lighter poi. e.g. whenever tries to just spin glowsticks on strings after spinning meaty fire-poi they're always shocked by how fast they are. Also, if they're lighter it's not quite so tiring.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Yea, that was the other thing, I was going to say, I was getting tired soooo fast.

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
Definitely use light poi. I learned with glowsticks and now I can't slow down, period. It's just the pace I'm used to. When I spin fire people think I'm nuts.

queen of wandsmember
127 posts

Posted:
DNB is probably my favourite to twirl to. Drum and Bass can be sometimes be described as having "jazzy" beats (like 1... 2... 3-4), making them perfect to twirl to. I find big circle/little circle combinations a lot easier with dnb. Another advantage to this genre is that you can find many beats within the music to suit you.

Psytrance is also great, generally having a lower bpm - lots of starts, stops, changing tempo and madarse samples to swing to.

I'm not vegetarian, but currently I'm off my chops!

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
ha ha, I just googled poi fast techno, and the first non-video result was my own post from 11 years ago, but didn't realise until I clicked through to here....he he smile

Good to get the same tips again though wink
EDITED_BY: DeepSoulSheep (1380302342)