Forums > Social Chat > What has happened to HoP?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
heyahoneyBRONZE Member
Redneck Woman
566 posts

Posted:
Whats happened to my faveorite website?

People biting off each others heads and being rude to each other?

Being upset when there is a new game?

What is wrong w/ everyone? Noone is acting how they used to.

WHATS UP?! DID I MISS SOMETHING?!

Top Three Things I've Learn While Being A Mom
1. Baby poop comes in many colors.
2. Makes sure all dirty diapers are not accessable to my dog.
3. Burp rags are not big enough.

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Written by: Str8Jakit

look i'm sorry, but i have to agree with honney, and devil. ALOT of people on this site seem like they make it a point to be rude to newbies. it's alomst like they sit and wait for them to ask an obvious question, or kick up a dead thread. then they attack like censored vultures!

i'm the sme way as devil, i can't spell for crap. oh well. why jump my censored for it, and make me feel like i have no place on this site?

It's not like that at all! Really it's not!
We're just trying to maintain a site that easy to use, and thats easy to read. My spelling is shite as well, but it dosn't take two minutes to run past a post a check it, and edit it if necessary!!

Pretty much everytime I meet up with HoPer friends the conversation at some point always turns to 'How HoP has changed'. It's changed, going to change, and always will change. Fact shrug

Sometimes some of the members who have been on the site longer than you're average..can come across the little rude, for pointing out the same thing thats been pointed out hundereds of times before - and dyed dogs tails etc aside - could have been found using the search function or the FAQ.
They don't mean to sound rude, its just the record wears thin after a while..

frown

DevilsarmyBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,984 posts

Posted:
mmmm i know but talking from experience i knowyou didnt mean it the way im going to say, i have really tried to look at it like this, but when you have 5 to 8 people on your back about it you really dont want to come back to the site, the only reason i came back was because i had other people say to me that they missed me and wanted me back so i did, but even now im not on it as much due to the whole inncerdant. I know aimee when you told me you meant no such hurtfulness or anything bad but when you have 5 to 8 people on your back about it you tend to feel really bad and wish not to come back.

Actually back on HoP guys ...

Owned By MiG
Owns Fyre and Mods_Stole_My_Name

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
*bangs head against computer*

Enough! Had it with this conversation. Goodbye!!

[edit]

Wait...havn't had enough. In no way shape or form was I apologising for my post in your thread, in the comment I previously made in this thread.

I was the first to say it in your intro, and others followed. I/we were not ganging up on you. I thought this had been cleared up?

Obviously not.

Now I'm done..
EDITED_BY: *Aimée* (1137795094)

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
*wanders in, falls over laughing

hee hee this is at least the 3rd incarnation of this thread ive seen (well its theme) since i joined and i joined in march

ah the good old months

back when i could whore it all i wanted

hee hee tongue

one day people will get along, will all be perfect and have clean teeth, of corse ill be sitting on the back of satan's snowplow at the time but thats irrelavent

ahhhhh pretense..... *buggers off trailing bad spelling, grammer, odor, humour and looks

back

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
yeep! You still have that quote (well, your own messed up version of it) in your siggy!

Hehehe.

I am useless! Bad spelling doesn't nesc screw things up btw, as long as first and last letters are right and the words about the right length, etc, punctuation is more important really. Linden its like you forgot to finish each sentence there.....

Actually I honestly think its nicer now than it used to be. When I was a newbie we still had people running around yelling "point" (altho maybe some woudl prefer to be the butt of the joke instead of things perceived as rudeness... oh i don't know what i'm saying).... and we still had the remnants of Myst fights, but more importantly, perhaps, we had the occasional Ray spat... I honestly havn't seen anything of that nature in ages, just some really weird instances of people having go's and then the threads getting deleted.....

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Nastiness? I can't see any...

*thinks about the whole "Spelk versus Plank of wood in own eye" thing*

Damnit. ubbrollsmile

And I disagree that people are being specifically targeted. I've agreed with many people, and disagreed with them too. It doesn't mean I hate them, or think they're worthless. It means I disagree with what they happen to say at the time. I've agreed with jeff(fake) over things, and disagreed too. Doesn't mean I don't like or respect the guy.

DA: You seem to think I disagree with everything... try saying something I agree with and I'll prove you wrong wink biggrin

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Does anyone remember the "point" game? That was one that got rather old rather quickly. wink

I feel like such an old woman when I read these threads. At the same time I understand their purpose. You guys are just doing what many others have done, time and time again. Older members saying "this is the way we do things", newbies challenging it.

And I don't begrudge you guys any of it. I have done it myself and it was so important to me once upon a time.

hug

Devilsarmy: please relax. If someone here is making a personal attack against you, then that is their problem. Yes, the posts you make are sometimes very hard to read. That doesn't mean you can't stay or can't be part of convesations. I will continue to do my best to read all your posts, if you continue to do your best to make them readable (they do not have to be perfect, just a good effort). Deal?

Heyahoney & Str8Jakit: You do raise valid points. It is the role of new people to point out when us old hands are being a little too harsh. Thank you.

What are some of the things you would like to see happen which would help this?

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
devils army, constructive criticism on your grammar isn't people being mean. They are just finding your posts difficult to read.
If you accuse people of being mean when they're not, they'll get fed up and then you really will know what being mean is!! lol.
Back to the topic, times change things, i'm relatively new as well. I agree with NYC, people will clash.:)

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Written by: heyahoney

Whats happened to my faveorite website?

I arrived! Muhahahahahahhahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

And then I started posting crap! Yay!

devil ubbangel devil ubbangel devil angelblue ubbloco

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
Hey DA! *hugs you tight*

Well, as you can go and see, last month it was me in this position, having loads of things build up and my enjoyment of this place was waning. So you can see I know exactly where you're coming from. HoP is a lovely place. But it's a huge online community made up of almost 30,000 people from all walks of life, who have only 1 thing in common. They like manipulating objects (ie, juggling, spinning etc.). That's it! So, like LTC said, no one is going to get on with all of them!

No one's going to make things personal, and if they are, that's what the mods are for.

You've got my MSN address hun... We can be bitter and out cast together! *giggles and tailwags*

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Written by: devilsarmy

mmmm i know but talking from experience i knowyou didnt mean it the way im going to say, i have really tried to look at it like this, but when you have 5 to 8 people on your back about it you really dont want to come back to the site, the only reason i came back was because i had other people say to me that they missed me and wanted me back so i did, but even now im not on it as much due to the whole inncerdant. I know aimee when you told me you meant no such hurtfulness or anything bad but when you have 5 to 8 people on your back about it you tend to feel really bad and wish not to come back.

This is the first I have heard of any altercation. The playground rules are simple here - if someone is behaving in a way you don't appreciate, notify the moderators. There can be no valid whining until such avenues have been utilised.

If you left the site due to a clash, then that's a real shame as I am sure it could have been worked out with a huge reduction in tension the first time around.

We're here for you. We're here for everyone.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
Is this a bad time to bring up the proposed re-incarnation of gayfest? ubblol

it was a joke btw!

Frederick the RecklessBRONZE Member
Troupe Leader and founder, Fire and Steel
241 posts

Posted:
the altercations are definitely happening, Flash, or have you not noticed? i seem to recall you chiming in on a few threads i started in the past to settle things down a bit.

the fact of the matter is that the fire performance community is full of pretentious egos with feet, who think they know all and have done it all... and as a result of this attitude, they feel they can talk trash on anyone else with absolute impunity. it is beneath them to say anything positive or give any sort of constructive feedback. as a result of this i have decided i will only be posting "happy happy joy-joy threads" when i post them at all.

to those who disagree with me: you're not paying attention.

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
Ok, or maybe, your just looking at the worst in people?

To be fair, I've met some amazing people through this sight, who I chat to a lot, not just on HoP, and plan to meet etc. Ravehead, MissCorinthian etc. They are LOVELY people, and the way you trash the 'fire community', well makes me sad... I've met loads more lovely people from this sight, Skully, UCOF, LTC, Roarfire, PyroWill (still waiting for you to make me a zombie smile ) Brit_Joe, Doc Lightning etc etc etc... I could go on... so I cant believe you would call everyone "prententious egos with feet, who think they know all and have done all... "... Bit harsh in my opinion.

Maybe I'm wrong, but if that is your opinion, maybe its not such a bad thing if you dont post that much any more... shrug

As for me, I shall continue to meet lovely HoPpers and try and make more friends! biggrin grouphug hug ubblove hug2 biggrin

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: Frederick the Reckless

ubblol

It doesn't count if you start being narrowminded and confrontational to prove that people are being more narrowminded and confrontational. That's cheating!

ubblol

Or was that a page from the George Bush playbook: "You're either with us or you're with the terrorists."

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:

the fact of the matter is that the fire performance community is full of pretentious egos, who think they know all and have done it all...

Sorry, I've never quoted anybody twice in a row. I just couldn't stop laughing at the fact that both of those sentences were in the same post. ubblol

OK, I'm done.

smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:

the fact of the matter is that the fire performance community is full of pretentious egos with feet, who think they know all and have done it all...

Most of us on HOP are not part of the fire performance community.

We mainly have in common the fact that we spin poi, or used to do so.

Fire is simply a sub-set of 'poi'; and fire performance a smaller sub-set.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:

the altercations are definitely happening, Flash, or have you not noticed? i seem to recall you chiming in on a few threads i started in the past to settle things down a bit.

*chimes in*

Don't read my words without paying attention please. You make me look worse when you do stuff like that. I was responding to something devilsarmy said with regards to a conflict he/she was having. ..

Of course I am aware of the somewhat heated debates that pop up from time to time. So yeah. Not that I can be 100% sure of your intended tone, but just in case, don't patronize me please. When do you think you might start with the exclusive "happy happy joy joy" stuff, just out of interest? Would it be unwise to hold my breath in anticipation?

I have a excel spreadsheet of every inflammatory and contrived post ever made. I keep tabs on particular individuals, as I know that they get off on seeing just how far they can manipulate the posting guidelines before they get a warning. rolleyes wink

Oh - and for anyone thinking I'm talking specifically about them in the above paragraph... consider yourself warned. ubblol

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Written by: flash fire

I have a excel spreadsheet of every inflammatory and contrived post ever made. I keep tabs on particular individuals, as I know that they get off on seeing just how far they can manipulate the posting guidelines before they get a warning. rolleyes wink

Oh - and for anyone thinking I'm talking specifically about them in the above paragraph... consider yourself warned. ubblol

And here I was thinking you just collected Voodoo dolls. wink

Ouch! Quit poking, please! ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
*enters new post on spreadsheet and puts yet another mark against particular HoPper's name.... *

wink ubblol

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Written by: flash fire

I have a excel spreadsheet of every inflammatory and contrived post ever made.

Good god!!! No wonder you are always too busy to come out and play!! wink

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Okay, so let's get constructive.

1. We need to be nicer to newbies who are asking age old questions. If you can't be bothered doing a search for them and finding relevant links, simply don't respond in their threads.

2. Take time now and then to visit Introductions forum and say hello in some empty-ish threads. Everyone loves gratification.

3. We need to decide on an acceptable number of game threads... I say no more than 5 active game threads... anyone else want to make a recommendation in this regard?

4. Notifying Moderators needs to happen more regularly if certain personalities are making things unnecessarily unpleasant. Moderator Notification can remain anonymous if you so wish, i.e if you're reporting someone we don't tell that person who reported them. If the problem is with a mod, use the PM function to either let another mod know, or Malcolm.

5. Someone needs to develop a "How To Search" post that we can link to when people are having a hard time finding info that we know already exists. This document needs to include which search to use (ie HOP vs HOP Google), boolian (sp?), search criteria etc etc. Any takers?

Anything else we need to work on?

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
we need more cake definatly more cake

what that you say cake

*muffled shout from distance * hummm more cake

cake

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
mmmmm, cake. ubblove ubblove ubblove

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
cake and tea

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Written by: onewheeldave

Most of us on HOP are not part of the fire performance community.

We mainly have in common the fact that we spin poi, or used to do so.

Fire is simply a sub-set of 'poi'; and fire performance a smaller sub-set.

Thank you. Just... thank you.

Written by: onewheeldave

Fire is simply a sub-set of 'poi'

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

DevilsarmyBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,984 posts

Posted:
oh goddness where to start right:

Aimee: I didn't say you were apologizing, just when i did change a few things you said that you didn't mean it like that. I know your not apologizing, hell no what do you need to apologize for?

Everyone else: this has clearly got the wrong message across, i was only saying what other newbies have been talking about.

Sethis: ok i'll put this to the test do you agree nutella is better than marmite?

Actually back on HoP guys ...

Owned By MiG
Owns Fyre and Mods_Stole_My_Name

Frederick the RecklessBRONZE Member
Troupe Leader and founder, Fire and Steel
241 posts

Posted:
flash, if you can't see that i meant no negativity by my mentioning you chiming in on a few threads of mine, then i apologize.

and if most people on HoP are not involved in fire, then why does it always seem that way?

the thing i have noticed most is that HoP is a worldwide message board, and therefore people type their posts in the manner they usually speak in. so what a brit may find normal an american may find offensive, and vice versa. or an austrian and a venezuelan may have different ways of saying things. as a result i have given up on trying to word statements in a fashion that does not offend anyone. i type like i speak. the only thing missing is audio, but it takes the tone of my voice out of the statement. i rarely use emoticons (graemlins) because they strike me as juvenile. if you are offended, then you have read what you wanted to read. if you are offended by my statement in my previous post about ego, ask yourself: do you fit the description? if not, then it doesn't apply to you. therefore, you shouldn't be offended. if you are still offended, then relax, take a deep breath, and read this...........

i'm sorry you feel that way.

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
ubblol

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
sprays Patrick in spray on bandaid.

wanders off warbling.

she knows whose been naughty she knows whose been nice

shes got a list and shes checking it twice

Is it the Truth?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Page: