Forums > Social Chat > What has happened to HoP?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
heyahoneyBRONZE Member
Redneck Woman
566 posts

Posted:
Whats happened to my faveorite website?

People biting off each others heads and being rude to each other?

Being upset when there is a new game?

What is wrong w/ everyone? Noone is acting how they used to.

WHATS UP?! DID I MISS SOMETHING?!

Top Three Things I've Learn While Being A Mom
1. Baby poop comes in many colors.
2. Makes sure all dirty diapers are not accessable to my dog.
3. Burp rags are not big enough.

Frederick the RecklessBRONZE Member
Troupe Leader and founder, Fire and Steel
241 posts

Posted:
but do i or do i not have a point? heck, think of america alone... different dialects and mannerisms from state to state. new yorkers have a reputation for being abrasive, georgians are stereotyped as "good ole boys," and everyone in luoisianna MUST like jazz.
....right?

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: Frederick the Reckless

and if most people on HoP are not involved in fire, then why does it always seem that way?

It doesn't seem that way; to me anyway.

It seems to me that most of the people here are into spinning skills, and spend most of their time using non-fire poi; especially sock poi.

I suspect it may seem that way to those whose primary interest is fire, because that's what they're looking for.

For some reason, some fire-spinners have a tendency to assume that all spinners are in it for the same reasons they are, and use terms like 'practice-poi' to refer to non-fire poi (implying that the function of non-fire poi is simply as training for the 'real thing' smile )

I put up a thread last year asking what proportion of spinners here use fire, and what proportion use non-fire poi-

[Old link]

Clearly, from the responses to that thread, fire is not a priority for most.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Nephtysresident fridge magnet
835 posts

Posted:
Only five active game threads!?!??!??! frown But what else am I supposed to do in stead of graduating?

Flash, will i get on your excel list if I smoth you with this pillow I'm hiding behind my back?

To everyone: grouphug most of the time people are not trying to be mean.

Frederick, partly becasue of the communication problem you mention, I find graemlins handy to express intent: with no facial expressions or intonation to go on, a smiley can make the difference between an unfriendly comment or a joke.

everyone's unique except me

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
I just wanna say ive had people talking to me about the way I type, its really offensive the way its said on hop, people saying things like 'just make the effort its not hard'. well how do you know thats not our effort allready made?

I hate not being able to spell words properlly and I cant use the spell checker that well because if I dont know how to spell a word giving me a list of 3 possible things wont help, I have to guess wich is right or wrong wich was what I did in the first place when I typed my message out!

...and this attitude dosent help either

Written by:

We need to be nicer to newbies who are asking age old questions. If you can't be bothered doing a search for them and finding relevant links, simply don't respond in their threads.

I do search for threads and I do sometimes repeat things and find it really annoying when people come in and say, you didnt search go here, try a search next time, hip thrust bla bla bla.

I'll say this search is crap! Ive never been able to find things because of it, and its pure pot luck if you happen to search for words that where used in the threads.

I used to like coming to hop but now I really really dont because every other thread people come in and start being negative, pretty much all I want to use hop for now is checking the events forum.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Can I also add in that I think people need to stop being so touchy.
I know, I know...it's hard, the medium doesn't allow for it, blah, blah, blah....FF and I have heard it all...I garuhnteeee.

Slap a smiley on it and be done already!

Newbies esp. need to remember that while they are new, the bb is not, and to not take everything so personally methinks. wink

NYC..let me add here...you freakin' crack me up my friend...absolutely crack me up.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
Is this a good time for a group hug? ubblol

grouphug

BEZERKERenthusiast
237 posts

Posted:
I haven't been here in ages and was thinking the place looked kind of peaceful. biggrin

Forums go in cycles, if it's feeling a bit rough, it'll come good again.

Need I remind anyone of the Raymond Phule debates of 2002/3 that ended up needing a new forum to be created just to house the debating......*wonders if that dude still posts - he was interesting if not passionate*

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Like Asena, I too have met some amazing people through HoP, and I've not really encountered any conflict. I've been to other forum sites where people are so bitchy and personal.
HoP is great! We're all great, and if there's any negativity I'm pretty sure us Hoppers will sort it out and make everything rosy again.
hug grouphug sunny ubblove

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

heyahoneyBRONZE Member
Redneck Woman
566 posts

Posted:
frd- i have lurked and i had a diff name n stuff

i guess all i can say is that wee should all be a little bit nicer

ff- you make good points

got to go michelle is cryin

Top Three Things I've Learn While Being A Mom
1. Baby poop comes in many colors.
2. Makes sure all dirty diapers are not accessable to my dog.
3. Burp rags are not big enough.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: Brit_Joe

I just wanna say ive had people talking to me about the way I type, its really offensive the way its said on hop, people saying things like 'just make the effort its not hard'. well how do you know thats not our effort allready made?

I hate not being able to spell words properlly and I cant use the spell checker that well because if I dont know how to spell a word giving me a list of 3 possible things wont help, I have to guess wich is right or wrong wich was what I did in the first place when I typed my message out!

Written by:

We need to be nicer to newbies who are asking age old questions. If you can't be bothered doing a search for them and finding relevant links, simply don't respond in their threads.

I do search for threads and I do sometimes repeat things and find it really annoying when people come in and say, you didnt search go here, try a search next time, hip thrust bla bla bla.

I'll say this search is crap! Ive never been able to find things because of it, and its pure pot luck if you happen to search for words that where used in the threads.

I used to like coming to hop but now I really really dont because every other thread people come in and start being negative, pretty much all I want to use hop for now is checking the events forum.

The post you quote was actually defending newbies from hostility-it's suggesting that those here who do have a go at newbies should either-

1. do the search themselves, and post the result (thus being nice to the newbie whilst, at the same time, showing the usefullness of the search function

or

2. if they can't be bothered to do the search themselves, simply don't post anything, rather than putting down the newbie.

(That's how i read it anyway, apologies to the original poster if I've got it wrong).

Brit Joe- you're one of several posters on HOP who seem to get into tangles with other posters, and I think it's not so much that there's any real problem or disagreement, as it is to do with simply misunderstanding some of the meanings of posts.

In terms of spelling etc, your last post is readable- you've used line breaks which is the main thing for readability.

You're right in saying that using the spell checker does not guarantee 100% perfection, however I wonder what happened with 'wich'- did your spell checker give you several options (other than 'which'), and, if so, what were they?

Many of us here have to watch the way we post- years back I wound people up with some of the things I said; with work though, you come to realise that it's often how it's said that causes offense, rather than what was said.

You just have to stick with it, take on board some of the feedback people give you, try to see things from other perspectives etc.

I've certainly learnt a lot by posting on HOP about how to not push peoples buttons- many of my posts are on things like religion, drugs, fire-breathing- the things that, several years back, were pretty much guaranteed to lead to all out war smile

I've put real effort into being able to put forward opinions on these issues, without causing avoidable offense- and, IMO, to a large extent, I've succeeded- I'm certainly much better at it than I was when I first came here.

And that's the incentive for putting in the work to make your posts readable (spelling, grammar, spacing, clear content) and trying to anticipate what will push peoples buttons (and then avoiding/rephrasing those things)-

yes, it involves effort, but it will aid communication in all aspects of life; if you can speak about controversial issues on a on-line discussion board (which are notoriously prone to 'flame wars' and misunderstandings), then that will make you more diplomatic in the rest of your life, and a more effective communicator.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Oh yeah, the "war threads" forum. That was grand. Social Discussion needed two forums, instead of social chat needing them! Now, those were the days.

Man I sound ridiculous.

Where's NYC.

I need another monologue made out of my posts or something.

Albeit, if any of you had heard me and Kali babbling last night you would have given up any hope that I can make sense for about five seconds at a time, but its like one bad hilarious comment a minute..... biggrin

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Written by:

You're right in saying that using the spell checker does not guarantee 100% perfection, however I wonder what happened with 'wich'- did your spell checker give you several options (other than 'which'), and, if so, what were they?

Well I didnt know I had spelt that wrong, wHich (i know it now...for a while lol) is another thing, if you cant spell well you dont know you've spelt your words wrong in the first place, and there is no spell chcker (that I can see) when you use reply which I allways do I never quick reply because I dont remember all the features so I need them infront of me.

Oh yeah your right about what whats his face said, I re-read it and I see he was talking about the hop members not the noobs, but still I stick by most of what I said there alot of members come in and acuse people of not searching when they dotne ven know if they had searched or not.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
Joe, allow me to correct you....
"spell chcker" = spell checker
"allways" = always
"dotne ven" = dont even

You did say I could be your dictionary on msn the other day biggrin

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
It doesn't annoy me when people tell me to do a search... But then I realise that they're not actually being arrogant gits...

There is no nice way of saying 'do a search' really, other than doing it yourself and providing the results, they all come across as grumpy.

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: Kyrian

Where's NYC.

Again, I use stuff like this to remind me to get a life. When life gets bitchy I bounce back here.

And Dave, I'd say that in some circles "fire is a subsection of poi" whereas in my circle "poi is a subsection of fire"... but that's a Venn diagram for another thread.

Written by:

NYC..let me add here...you freakin' crack me up my friend...absolutely crack me up.

You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little censored up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to censored amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?

wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I haven't noticed any problems recently until I came across this thread. But even after reading all the replies,in my opinion, I really don't think there is a genuine problem. I think HoP is one of the friendliest and welcoming communities I've ever come across, online or not. I don't visit any other forums as the small snapshots I have seen, have not been places where I want to be. I think HoP is a very mature and sympathetic forum, where everyone looks out for others.

This is such a huge site, that you can never please all of the people, all of the time, but I don't see any serious issues here that need to be worried about. I think it's a good thing that the spelling and punctuation thing has come up, as being dyslexic myself, I find it very difficult to read some peoples posts. This aren't personal attacks, trying to be nasty and snobby towards people, mearly an aim to make the site accesible to as many people as possible, which can only be a good thing.

I also find the debate about the game threads healthy. Some people want as many as possible, others want none, both groups have their own valid reasons. In the end a compromise will have to be made, and I think FF idea of limiting it to five is a good idea.

It is the fact that HoP is such a good community that we can have these debates in the first place.

So meditate grouphug

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I was talking to my housemate last night about the spelling & grammar thing. She is a school teacher, and was recently helping out her younger sister by proof reading and critiquing some essays. She was amazed, as her sister had just written half of every sentence. She would sort of stop halfway through and move on to the next one.

Her sister honestly hadn't realised, and even when told to re-read it, couldn't properly see it. Her brain would just fill in the blank at the end of the sentence.

We all have blind spots with our writing. I am certain I tend to write too long posts, which means that certain people skip over them. So I try to keep it shorter.

It does take effort to make things understandable. But it is worth it, as the discussions we have are about the subject, rather than a misunderstanding based on something that a person has written incorrectly.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
All this talk of newbies makes me want to hunt a couple down and spit roast them.

No seriously thou, what other joy can you get out of life apart from ruthlessly taking the piss out of newbies? They learn everything so fast, (mostly cos you taught them) that the only pleasure you have left (cos the glamour of your skillz has left your ego an empty shell) is rampantly abusing them?

wink

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Written by: mcp

All this talk of newbies makes me want to hunt a couple down and spit roast them.

I hope I'm not on that list wink

Seriously though, no-one took the piss out of me when I first joined even though I can be a bit of a moron at times and if someone does rip it out of me I probably disserve it. HoP is one of the friendliest and nicest messageboards I've ever been on and compared to some of the others that I used to post on its fantastic. It could be like the dream theater messageboard where there are constant wars between members and other fanboards.

Even though there are little things that annoy me about the board its still a fantastic place to come and post and I hope it continues like this!

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
lets check your membership number shall we?

It's so far above mine I can't even see you with a bi-plane.

So you = NEWBIE!

wink

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
My god you're old-skool meg... still using bi-planes. Get with the jet age wink

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little censored up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to censored amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?

wink

That's it exactly NYC.
You are here to amuse me. To make me laugh. That is the only reason. All that you are good for. And I don't mean "here" as in on HoP... I mean here on this planet. You serve no other purpose.

Now....amuse me! Dance, clown! Dance!
wink hug biggrin

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Written by: onewheeldave

Written by: Brit_Joe

Written by:

The post you quote was actually defending newbies from hostility-it's suggesting that those here who do have a go at newbies should either-

1. do the search themselves, and post the result (thus being nice to the newbie whilst, at the same time, showing the usefullness of the search function

or

2. if they can't be bothered to do the search themselves, simply don't post anything, rather than putting down the newbie.

(That's how i read it anyway, apologies to the original poster if I've got it wrong).

Correct. Thanks for clarifying my post OWD. smile

And Brit_Joe - you'll also note on my List of Constructivity (is that a word?) that I recommended someone develop a How To Search information page... Hopefully, with resources such as this at your fingertips, you'll find better results with the search function. Just out of interest, which search do you use? The one at the very top of the page, or the little one that sits next to "Main Index" & "My Home" etc tabs on nagivation bar?

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Not to be contrary, but I do actually think there is value in simply "This has been discussed before, please do a search."

There are a few times both on here and on other sites when I've just missed the fact that a topic had been discussed. Usually UCoF gives me the "Yo, dumbass, we just talked about that a month ago, go look it up" and that's actually useful information that I'm appreciative of. I go and look it up myself and am on my way.

I do think that MANY people actually take the time to do searches (I know I do) and that there is a small section of folks that will ask questions because they are too lazy to search.

Also, I think there's a recurrant problem with people asking old questions that have been asked... then there's a new thread and now someone who actually does a search has to sort through hundreds of duplicate threads.

If someone actually wanted to look c*lored flames or sp*rkly poi, they'd be met with a MAJORITY of posts that are not relevant. I know the rating system helps but it's still a cycle.

IF a lazy HoPer posted a question on c*lored flames and a helpful HoPer posted useful information and links, it actually makes it HARDER in the future to sort through all the crap.

90% of c*lored flame threads are links to other c*lored flame threads.

IF HoP is to be a library of information, this duplicate posting needs to be addressed. IF HoP is to be a social hangout for folks to chat, then it doesn't. But a step towards one direction is a step away from the other.

Running it Conservatively helps the library but hurts the social aspect.
Running it Liberally helps the social aspect but hurts the effectiveness of the library of information.

Hrmm... that was almost a good point.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Almost... wink biggrin

And for the record, I prefer Nutella to Marmite, devilsarmy. What am I supposed to say? Does it matter?

It's all fun and games, and then in another 6 months we can have another one of these threads and NYC can think of new ways to wield sarcasm like the finely tuned weapon he has made out of it. ubbangel

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
may be duplicat threds in anything other than in chat after the person has been pointed in the right direction should be deleat

the ratting system was suposed to solve this but people never seem to rate anything thease days

sorry for spelling this is my last night dutd and im dead

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

DevilsarmyBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,984 posts

Posted:
Do we have to have a negative thread on hop?

Actually back on HoP guys ...

Owned By MiG
Owns Fyre and Mods_Stole_My_Name

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
some people's negative is positive

some people's positive is negative

what are you getting at?

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

DevilsarmyBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,984 posts

Posted:
well, i mean i know hop has changed its just what can you do? lifes too short to complain (yes i know its hypacrtical) and well negativety should be avoided

Actually back on HoP guys ...

Owned By MiG
Owns Fyre and Mods_Stole_My_Name

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
indeed - if people read the thread, they they start thinking 'hmm something's wrong', and before you know it negativity & hatred everywhere. What we should do is have a couple more threads of kitten pictures or whatever, & maybe a couple decent games, and it'll be back to normal cool

edit - We really should hunt some newbies tho, it's great fun and everyone know's they're a lower for of life
EDITED_BY: GeoffonTour04 (1137924241)

Page: