Page:
ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
ok. *deep breath*

I know this will more than likely get me flamed but I dont really mind.

I have been coming to the social chat part of Hop less and less these days because the social part of the board seems to be filled with.. well.. crap.

I enjoy a game as much as the last person, but I really do think that the number of games is getting huge and quite mindnumbing.

In my honest opinion I think that some of the threads are a bit of a waste of bandwidth which could be filled with much more positive threads.

Im sorry to say this as I dont want to cause any disharmony on hop at all, but some of those threads have no point when you could be really enriching those people reading hop by telling us about the fun things you may have encountered, exciting travel storys, new books you have read, movies to see, polls on peoples opinions.

I see that miss flash has just shut the "what do you know about the hopper above you" and the "either/or" thread and I applaud that desicion so so much! smile

maybe if you want to play games there are websites just for that and you could make new friends here and let us get to know you so much more by posting threads with a true purpose?

thats just my opinion but I ache for the days when the social chat area had interesting chat topics, not nessacarily hardcore topics like religion etc, just INTERESTING....

ok. yeah.
smile

*disclaimer, this is not aimed at anyone, Im not personally flaming anyone and I hope I have not just caused ww3 on hop. smile

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
[Old link]

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Yeah - we've had this discussion within the last 6 months or so. At the time, we culled a lot of the game threads but let some stay, as we wanted a fair compromise for the people who didn't really appreciate them, and for those who enjoyed participating in them.

Like you Valura, I'm not a fan of the games, and if I was to indulge my bias and use my powers for evil, I'd delete every last one of them. However, we need to be fair and let a few game threads happen.

However, when they become too many, us mods will get trigger happy (as I have been today). We strive to maintain a balance, and I ask that all and sundry assist us in this endeavour.

You want threads of substance in Chat? Go for your life!!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
I did search for games, timewasters etc but nothing showed up...thanks for pointing me to that thread. Ill go over there..

and thanks Flash I can totally see where your coming from... the decimal point game?!?!? ubbloco rolleyes

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
I like the 'What do you know about the HoPper above you' as although it is a game... its still nice to find out things about people, albeit pointless ones smile

But the decimal point game... yes, that was time wastey goodness, and the other one with the placenta, whatever that one is... shrug

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I like the 'Name that member' game thread... the one with the pictures that spell out a hopper's name... That one makes you think... Although it probably uses up an awful lot of bandwidth with the pictures and all...

I think that's the only one that's any good, really...

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
at least that one took time to figure, you couldn't just spam in it.

i agree with valura thought, the social chat has become more of a timewaster/game section than for actual chat

props to mods for maintaining the balance meditate

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
It's not all bad. The lack of substance in 'chat' usually reminds me to get OFF HoP. smile

If it was only interesting posts, I'd never get anything done.

biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
ubblol Ye, there used to be random chats which actually had a topic... now its just random chats, with no topic... frown

which is kinda dull

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Its funny though because everyone who dsoent like these 'time wasters' posts in them anyway and it degenerates into *hip thrusts* and fuels more replys wich are pointles.

If you dont like them, dont go in them!

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Written by: Brit_Joe

Its funny though because everyone who dsoent like these 'time wasters' posts in them anyway and it degenerates into *hip thrusts* and fuels more replys wich are pointles.

I go in them once, to see what they are about, If they are complete crap, I don't go in them again. Other people that do the same as I do. If we really don't like them, we notify a mod and hey presto! the hipthrusts signify that somebody would like the threads' deletion. It's also another nicer way of saying 'what a load of crap, why post this'. This makes the *hipthrust* have a point, rather than being pointless. Or did you not work that much out yet? wink

You may not know about this, because you may not have been here, but a while ago, there were too many pointless game threads. LOTS of people got annoyed about it, including moderators (who are usually a nice, friendly, tolerant bunch) so something was done about it. Lots of threads were destroyed. People were asked not to post for the sake of posting, or to 'SPAM', and to make their post meaningful and relevant. This is also why we don't see a post count on our posts anymore, so that people don't see them and think 'I want more'. We got fed up of going into Chat because it was full of pretty much nothing but useless, unimaginative posts, (much like that game thread you made up last night rolleyes ), posts and indeed threads that contained nothing but smileys. We didn't like having to wade through all that shite to find something worth reading in there.

Now it seems as if it is happening again. frown

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
After the last thread cull I think there was an option to rate the threads which, if I remember correctly, the the mods would look at and delete accordingly. Surely, if the mods are still looking at the ratings, if you don't like a thread and want it to go then all you have to do is rate it. I'm not sure whether the rating system was temporary or not but it was a smart move imho.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
All the rating system did was to help when people were using the search engine. I don't think it was used so much as a way of the mods coming along and deleting thread..... I maybe wrong about that though.

I think the point is, yesterday some of the "games" threads were locked by a Mod. Before I'd even logged on this morning and seen they were locked there were new threads with the exact same "games" in them. What was the point of the Mods locking the old threads if they are just started up again?

I posted into 2 of these threads. In one, the "what do you know about the HoPper above you?" thread I actually posted that I knew nothing about the hopper above me...... but no one batted an eyelid and carried on. That just proved to me that no one really reads what's in these threads. They just post any old rubbish. The poster below me said "is a Chocoholic Pirate faery" about me....... wow what a suprising bit of info..... seeing as its my title anyway. What's the point???

All we are saying is the number of these threads has grown and grown to the point that a lot of people can't be bothered to go into the chat forum any more because they know that most of what's in there is meaningless junk. Where is the harm in cutting down the number of these threads?

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Yeah, there was a funny thread in chat recently that I didn't find for days because ...well... its a jungle in there. And I asked everyone why they didn't post it in discussion instead because it was interesting, even tho I'm not sure it was actually insightful... and now its been lost again... ho hum, HoP does this.

Never been a fan of the games but it does help keep people from making the rest of the threads as full of random stuff *i think*.... I could be wrong, too.

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
I agree with you Skully.

Personally I think that there should be a list of games that should be, not banned, but frowned upon. I don't think they should be banned as they allow new users to feel part of the community and to easily get the number of posts that allow them to change their titles etc. Although I can't see why they don't just post properly in the moves forums. Perhaps I've rendered this point null and void.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Written by: Leaning_Towards_Corruption

Written by: Brit_Joe

I go in them once, to see what they are about, If they are complete crap, I don't go in them again. Other people that do the same as I do. If we really don't like them, we notify a mod and hey presto! the hipthrusts signify that somebody would like the threads' deletion. It's also another nicer way of saying 'what a load of crap, why post this'. This makes the *hipthrust* have a point, rather than being pointless. Or did you not work that much out yet? wink

Never has there been such genius behind a hipthrust. biggrin

I used to post on those things *loads*. Shamefully, I think most of my post count can be found in there. I'm pretty glad post counts have been turned off, cos it just got embarrassing for me to see it. Eurgh. So yeah, I'll post in one or two of them, but not very often....

*shrug*

I wouldn't miss 'em.

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"the hipthrusts signify that somebody would like the threads' deletion."

eek

I only did it once... just to be like the cool kids.

baaaaaa baaaaaaa ubbangel

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
Written by: Fine_Rabid_Dog

Never has there been such genius behind a hipthrust. biggrin

Or significance

Written by: Fine_Rabid_Dog

I used to post on those things *loads*. Shamefully, I think most of my post count can be found in there. I'm pretty glad post counts have been turned off, cos it just got embarrassing for me to see it. Eurgh. So yeah, I'll post in one or two of them, but not very often....

*shrug*

I wouldn't miss 'em.

[Old link] search shows up 9 FRD *hiptrust*s. I'm guessing that since *hiptrust*ed threads tend to get deleated that the other 6000 or so have been *hipthrust*ed to death...

... Ye gods. What a terrible image umm

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
*Sits up straight*

I wonder if it would make sense for the HoP administration to clarify what is and itsn't appropriate to do in Chat. It's always a bit traumatic to post in a thread that's later locked.

I did a search and found this quote by Dom:

Written by:

Social Chat - is a place for informal and random chit chit, silly threads, games, one liners and the infamous "either/or" and "what do you know" threads.

Is that statement still accurate? Clearly it's NOT the place for 'the infamous either/or and what do you know" threads.

I fully support a reduction in nonsense but I think it should be clearly defined and judged consistantly.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
@valura clap and awaiting your next/ really useful thread... wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
I didn't know the hipthrust signified wanting a thread locked/deleted.

Why not just hit the notify mod button?

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Erm, I think the *hipthrust* was originally a "post before lock" thing rather than a "lock or delete, LOCK OR DELETE!" thing.

Though we seem to have gone off topic somewhat...

NYC makes a good point. Social Chat is for silly-ness.... the games and time-wasters certainly are silly... but some of them get a bit... I dunno... excessive and lame. shrug

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
The problem comes when social chat is saturated by hundreds of posts, keeping the games bumped and pushing other more interesting but not discursive threads back and into obscurity.

I do take issue with the use of HOP as a chat forum only. Surely the point of the site is to chat with poiple and other manipulators.? Of course that doeesn't mean thats all we should talk about (one can only take so much of buzzsaw hyperloops and inversions) but there is the common interest and point of refernce clearly there. The issue I have is that there appears to be a massively disproportionate amount of traffic about nonsensical subjects most of the time. Bov and I looked through at the weekend and hardly any poi moves threads had been touched since the beginning of the year, yet all the games and other social threads had been humming along.

HOP is a community, filled with diverse and very friendly, patient people; I am very happy to count many as friends. This tolerance is being pushed though; I'm aware of several members who are far too kind to post anything but are slowly loosing patience with the weight of 'excessive and lame' posts 9thanks for that NYC smile)-

HOP is drowning with irrelevance and making all the good stuff harder to find. Talking to friends, establishing meets, having fun- thats what HOP is about to my mind. It isn't JUST a chat site though, and I have a horrible feeling that more and more members are falling away because thats where it appears to be (and has for some time) been going.

IMHO angel

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Again, people keep saying "HoP" when they're really just referring to the chat forum right?

This isn't a problem in any other forum. Many HoPers avoid Chat all together.

If you're judging HoP by what goes on in chat then it's no wonder people are getting frustrated.

Again, I think a clear definition of what is and isn't chat would help all involved. I actually think that defining the problem a bit more concretely would help as well. I do think different folks are talking about different issues.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
OK, fair comment, I didn't make the distinction, BUT there is also a lack of consideration when posting in other forums (still lack of searches, people posting a new thread when one dealing with the exact same subject is on the first page etc). I think you're right, I finally posted about the whole darned lot, not just games. I therefore declare my previous post offtopic and will shut the hell up.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

I wonder if it would make sense for the HoP administration to clarify what is and itsn't appropriate to do in Chat. It's always a bit traumatic to post in a thread that's later locked.

I did a search and found this quote by Dom:

Written by:

Social Chat - is a place for informal and random chit chit, silly threads, games, one liners and the infamous "either/or" and "what do you know" threads.

Is that statement still accurate? Clearly it's NOT the place for 'the infamous either/or and what do you know" threads.

I fully support a reduction in nonsense but I think it should be clearly defined and judged consistantly.

NYC is right- guidelines need to be clear.

I suggested some time ago splitting chat in two seperate boards, in the same way that, some time ago, one board called 'Social' was split into 'Discussion' and 'Chat' to cater for a similar disagreement.

It's obvious from this thread alone that there is a desire for-

1. a 'semi-serious' place for chat threads

and

2. somewhere catering for 'inane' chat type stuff such as games etc

other approaches were tried the last time this issue came up (removing post counts) and the issue has now resurfaced, so maybe it's time to revisit the option of splitting 'chat'?

While I wouldn't want to be seen as pushing forward an idea which admin may not want to implement, I do think that, if it comes to pass that this is seen as a good idea, that some dialogue takes place with the people who are going to be using the board; as this should help to ensure that it functions successfully;

so-

1. Does anyone agree/disagree on whether splitting 'Chat' into two is a good idea

2. if they agree, what specific criteria should each of the new boards follow i.e. if a consise FAQ was written to explain what is appropriate in each board, what would they say?

(For example, if the main culprits for clogging up chat are seen as being game threads, maybe the new section could be purely for games and could be named 'Games', with games then being banned from 'chat').

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I do think thats a good idea, altho I don't know what it will do to bandwidth. But it would make it easier to have a "friendly" social chat section (and find threads like mike musing about decorating his flat, etc.)

why can game threads not just slide back into intros or something, tho? people are already very chatty in intros, it seems like having two whole forums of "inanity" is silly.... but thats just me. and maybe itd needed umm confused

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
OWD - Do you not think that perhaps the inanity is encouraged to multiply by giving it it's own forum?

Witness how much more silly crap has been posted since Social was split originally...

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
I'm moved to agree with Simian- there is the option just to ask people to play games and waste time elsewhere- I'm not sure we need somewhere on HOP for it, there are plenty of other places online with just that in mind.

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
I think that if you split "Chat" into 2 more forums then the more inane branch (Games and whatnot) would die out and shrivel up to a large extent.

I can't see people going to a different forum just to post junk. I understand why they do it in Chat (and I've done it a few times) but an area specifically designated for it? Not sure that would work.

I've been to other forums where they have "Chat" and "Games/Jokes" and there are about 1500 threads in Chat, with about 50 in Games/Jokes. Still don't know why though...

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: simian

OWD - Do you not think that perhaps the inanity is encouraged to multiply by giving it it's own forum?

Witness how much more silly crap has been posted since Social was split originally...

The beauty of splitting 'chat' is that, even if it doesn't cut down on innane posting, it's no longer a problem as it's all in an easily avoidable place. The main gripe seem to be that those who want to use 'chat' are having to wade through a whole lot of irrelevant threads.

As for the previous split into 'Chat' and 'Discussion', I see it as a 100% success- in all honesty, if that split hadn't occurred, I very much doubt I would still be using HOP. I post mainly in 'Discussion' cos I'm interested in discussions that are relativly serious and coherent.

I don't mind Chat-type stuff, as long as it's in the appropriate forum where I don't have to wade through it unless I want to.

To be honest, I've little interest in the 'Chat' board, and am suggesting the split for the following two reasons-

1. we're getting occasional 'Chat refugees' starting threads in 'Discussion' that don't belong there

2. despite the fact that I very rarely use the 'Chat' board, I respect those who do, and a lot of them are clearly not happy with the current number of inane threads

We have one precedent for splitting a board on the grounds that there was too great a range of inane/serious threads, and, like I said, IMO, and the opinion of many others, despite initial reservations, it was a big success.

Written by:

I can't see people going to a different forum just to post junk. I understand why they do it in Chat (and I've done it a few times) but an area specifically designated for it? Not sure that would work.

It's up to them whether they use the new board; the point is that, when it's set up, any inane/game threads posted in 'Chat' get instantly deleted or moved to the right place, because they breach the board guidelines

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Page: