sammiemember
56 posts

Posted:
I was doin' some research the other day and came across a really cool web site on poi (will post the address later)...it said mid text that women of the maori tribe were sometimes taught to manipulate 4 poi....4 POI!! ohmigod......has anyone tried this supernaturalflippinscareyenoughwithtwonevermind4 trick?(u is a jediPoiwarior if u do!!) grin

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
yeah, i've tried 4 poi. The trick is to practice with two in one hand to begin with. loop one around your pinky and one around your pointer finger (this can be done during normal spinning and looks pretty cool). Try and keep your fingers fom bunching up too much and the poi should naturally spread apart. It's kinda tricky, but doable. When you get comfortable with doing that in each hand, try with four. I haven;t spent much time on it (being distracted by double staff, flags, and one poi/one staff combo), but i think it could look really amazing. Goo' luck.------------------Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

jessejamesmember
22 posts

Posted:
hey this is a little off track but one day when bored with single staff(i use a four foot staff)a friend and i thought that mabye a cool effect would be to tie two staffs togetheralthough this seems aliitle unweildy(sp) at first the effect is awsomewe found a strap of bike inertube works bestto secure the two at the centre

burnin down the house

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
well, if we're gonna be off track, the other day I tried spinning a short staff (~4ft) in one hand and a poi in the other, weaving them through eachother. It's actually pretty cool, if the staff and poi are similarily wieghted. I also tried it with my 6' fighting staff, but it was too slow for the poi.

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

o-omember
78 posts

Posted:
pushing the limits ey? nice to hear about it. haven't got any idea about the bike strap two pole concoction (sounds impossible!) maybe you'd like to elaborate a bit?as to pushing the boundaries - i noted Dangerboy saying something about 'cross' moves late last year. i'd like to try this, so if you have any to share i'd be most grateful.thankso-o