Page:
KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Well N8 started the movie topic rolling and I thought I would continue and askWhat's your favourite reading literature?Favorite book?Favorite Author?The book I have most read is Wuthering Heights, 15 times to date. I was also lucky to have this as the novel we studied for my leaving certificate and had already read it 5 times before we started studying it, although I have only read it once since I finished my secondary school exams.My favourite author at the moment is Haruki Murakami (Wild Sheep Chase, Norwgian Wood).For relaxing before bed time with a big cup of cocoa it has to be Marion Keyes (Rachel's Holiday, Lucy Sullivan is getting married)And for transporting myself to a different world, The Lord of the Rings triology.(Can't wait for the film!)My favourite series of books are the 'Weetzie Bat Books by Francesca Lia Block.I think one of the most overrated books ever is Naked Lunch. Compare this with another drugged out book Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, there is just no comparisonSo what are your likes and dislikes??------------------"London is a city coming down from its trip and there's going to be a lot of refugees" - Danny,Withnail & I

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Oh...don't get me started!!!!!!When I got my teaching certificate I got my degree in Literature and Creative Writing!!!!I *LOVE* stories, books, etc....I specialized in victorian,medeival and renaissance literature (go figure), so I love them all...my fav collection is Le Morte De Arthur, of course seconded by the Tales Of Robin The Hood. Also love Poe, Hugo,Dumas,Chaucer,"Beowulf",Homer....Contemporarily...Lewis, Rice, Tolkein will always reign as king of fantacy in my eyes, Rilke,Several South American Authors, Tan, Bradley..... I will stop this list right now though since I could really get going!Dislikes..Most of Stephen Kings stuff (I believe he doesn't trust a reader to have imagination), Harlequin style stuff (no imagination, besides Fabio on the covers is enough to turn me off! smile), and although I read his works every year in prep for a show I am in..most of Dickens stuff is very dry for me.Currently I am reading "Mists of Avalon" (again, movie is coming out), Anne Rice "Vampire Armand" (one of her harder ones to get through, I fall asleep) and with Noah we are up to the "Silver Chair" in the Narnia Chronicles. When that is done we will start the Three Musketeers.Okay, I am done------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

psychomonkeymember
148 posts

Posted:
Ive read 1984 way too many times for my own good.Come on give King some credit, the guy is a genius, and you know he dumbs down his writing. I mean, come on the way he writes, even the average, semi-literate Joe can understand it, but even those who are intelligent enough to know better enjoy it. His older short stories are pretty good "Night Shift" is a decent collection of them, And you have to give him credit for trying new things, he took a big risk, publishing "The Plant" online the way he did and he's still the only author to try it.I can't believe I spent all that time defending Stephen King. All well.-PSM ------------------"One can only see what one observes, and one observes only things which are already in the mind."-Alphonse Bertillon

One can only see what one observes, and one observes only things which are already in the mind.-Alphonse Bertillon

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
well - I dont really read anything other than Sci-fi...sometimes I get into a bit of fanstasy - but I find that the majority of authors in the genre cant pull off a decent believeable character IMHO...although when it works it works smileI also dont get much out of Steven King style books....erm just got through shadow of the torturer by Gene Wolfe - really enjoyed it...for the second time...I also liked the Mars series (Red Blue Green)...I cant go past a lot of Asmovs work - genius specially considering the age of some of the work...dont really get into Arthur C Clarke's work...read the Rama series a couple of times...never really clicked for me...just for fun I occassionally read HG Wells...although tis a little dated...I really enjoy hard scifi - ie the style that is based on concepts drawn from scientific theory today... I dont particularly like sci-fi that doesnt make reference to anything real...HOWEVER - who can go past Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy trilogy (yes I *know* there is 4 books in the series) - thats my all time fav...must have read the first three books 5 or 6 times each...dont really get into So Long and Thanks for All the Fish...it seems a bit more morbid than the others...Douglas Adams I think has an interesting style...and I have most of his published novels...mmm that coffee was good..Josh

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
Wow, good topic. My favorite book of all time is Shogun. Cant get enough of it. I have read it way too many times. At least once a year, when I first got hooked on it, I read it twice back to back, and it is so long that after I was done, it was just like starting a fresh book over again. Right now Im reading Roots by Alex Haley. Its the first time that I have read this one, and it is so painful to read. I also didnt like Naked Lunch very well. Nothing beats Tolkien for fantasy. I would have loved to meet him. I used to read a lot of Piers Anthony, until Xanth went down the tube after like Vale of the Vole. Then I switched to the Adept series after which Unicorn Point lost my attention. I am a fan of original casts of characters! smile ------------------~I dont care if they eat me alive, Ive got better things to do than survive. ~Ani

Wow

Endangered Sanitymember
164 posts

Posted:
Myt favourite book is Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I love that book, it's so funny. Other than that I dont mind a bit of fantasy type stuff, and horror isnt that bad.

KTmember
54 posts

Posted:
KIng, he's my hero i love his work, and thomas whats his face, silence of the lambs, red dragon and hanibal (the books are better)Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, the movies hilarious.Genisis code, great bookBritish movies woo yeah British humour full stop, hate to run the whole intelligant convo happening here but theres nothin like THE YOUNG ONES they're my heros woo yeah Peace

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
Anything by Dean Koontz, Watchers is prob my fave if i had to name only one.(about a dog on the run from a beast, both were created in a lab in the name of science.) I love the intelligent dog and the characters are really real.Clive Barker, Weaveworld. All those amazing ppl & land in a carpet!!!Another fave is Wathcmen, but it's not really a book it's a graphic novel.

Are we nearly there yet?

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
It's not just guys who have a crush on 7 of 9, I think she's scruptious shocked tongue[This message has been edited by Thistle (edited 27 April 2001).]

Are we nearly there yet?

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
This is gonna sound kinda dumb but my favorite book is "Harold an the purple crayon" its a kids book, but I love it.i also liked Neuromancer by will gibson, all you cyberpunks who liked ghost in the shell in anime- well this guy is the Jesus christ of the cyberpunk genre. DEFINATELY READ THIS.I like steve king, for thrills more than gore (so i haven't been reading his new stuff)I love the Whinne the Pooh stories I've read the "Tao of Pooh" about 6 times, ah, so wise, so funny. the Tao Te' Ching is pretty much my bible. read that a lot too. the first part of my sig. is adapted from it.HA! I guess I'm all over the place huh? grin------------------Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

tekknogurrlBRONZE Member
90 posts

Posted:
anything by chuck palahniuk (author of fight club), the fountainhead by ayn rand (fuckin' AMAZING), anything by moliere/shakespeare, almost any play by christopher durang, David Copperfield by Dickens, Animal Farm and 1984 by George Orwell, the poetry/plays of e.e. cummings, and anything by Ray Bradbury or O. HenryChildhood faves:and The Witches, and Matilda, by Roald Dahl (I've read that about 50 times).

~K~No matter what you do, one billion Chinese won't care.

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
currently reading Guns Germs and Steel, fate of human society by Jared Diamond.really interesting.Pere

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Have to stick with the good ol' fantasy novels. Best series i have read to date was by david eddings, including the belgariad and the maloreon (sp?), i almost cried at the end when it was over!This is closely followed by Raymond Feist and the magician.Yeah i know, the same old same old fantasy novels, but i love em.Oh yeah and 7 of 9 is yummy smile

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
WHOOOOAAAA!!! hang on a sec! I can't believe no one has said Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series! sure, sure the last 2 or 3 have been a bit hard to get through, but come on fantasy lovers: the Wheel of Time is the greatest series ever written.Terry goodkinds Sword of Truth was okay, Eddings' stuff a tad mushy for me. I'm currently in the midst of Feist's Magician.I want 7of9's body...ie I want that figure.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
um Flash, I think she had to have ribs removed to get that figure...not to mention the... um...'modifications' to other parts of her body smilebesides, I've seen your figure, you dont have anything to worry about winkcan anyone explain why guys are violent? I just saw a nasty fight outside my work, and it made me feel sick. WTF is up with these neandethals?Josh

Girl From Marsmember
168 posts

Posted:
i'm not much of a reader, i will start books when i have time to spare then never finish cause my life gets to hectic. i have read Neuromancer. N8 is right...READ IT!! i have read parts of stephen king, i do like ann rice. i definately more off a gore filled mystery about vampires and ghost and such. if anyone a really go series or just books that fit this description let me know. maybe if i can't find a movie that will scare me to death, i could find a book and let my imagination do the work smilei know i don't read much but i do try to get into one when i can.------------------the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Seems to be quite a few people who love fantasyAnd Malcom, I used to play Robin Hood of 'Sherbet Forest' when I was a kid. For one whole beautiful summer I played this game, but the next summer, my sister was too 'old' to play babies games, and it just wasn't as much fun without her.As for me I don't think I will ever grow out of fantasy land, except now I call them daydreams.Who has read the Harry Potter books? I love them, they might be children's books but they are great.Other children's books I love are 'the enchanted faraway tree', 'watership down' and the beautiful series of books about 'redtip' the fox by Tom McCaughrenOther authors I have been reading recently include Graham Green,Honore de Balzac, Alexandre Dumas, Lisa Jewel nand Yukio Mishima.I used to like Stephen King as a teenager but I think he definitely has confused quantity as opposed to quality as being important and I can't read his stuff now.

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
GFM try some of Anne Rices older witch chronicles...they are awesome...philosophically speaking "Memnoch" is amazing.I also have played D&D and AD&D since I was 10. How ironic...------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
PeleI loved the vampire chronicles and Memnoch especially was brilliant, I thought it showed some amazing imagination and was very insightful.I also adored Ramses the Damned.The Excorcist is one of the scariest books I have ever read, although the film didn't do much for me.

- W B Yeats

mikeybmember
93 posts

Posted:
I don't often re-read stuff. My pile of books waiting to be read is usually way too high already.At the moment, i just finished '45' by Bill Drummond, formerly of the KLF, also on the go right now, the Tao Te Ching, Zodiac by Neal Stephenson, The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz and a history of Byzantium by John Julius Norwich.Always reliable - Philip K Dick, William Gibson, J K Galbraith (ooh, actually, I do make point of re-reading The Great Crash 1929 by Galbraith every few years), Alan Watts, D T Suzuki (zen scholar), Nabokov, loads more definitelyCould do with a couple of lifetimes to catch up.mikeyB

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
we don't call robert jordan series "the evil" for nothing for its annoying habit of having stupid plot elements, badly developed characters (all the women are the same, all the men except rand are the same) the annoying habit of developing some random plot thread and either dropping it or not returning to it...all this in 400+ page books... and yet you are somehow compelled to read the stupid things once started so you can find out if jordan ever redeems himself and....he never does! in 400 pages of book 10 we didnt even get to wage war on the white tower i mean,ok so we cleansed saidin but hey come on! we want to see egwene kick some booty and we never do. my brother and i can sit and rage for hours about how bad these books are and why it is we, reasonably intelligent people that we are, are compelled to read them. maybe its some sort of literary skill for the author to make you deeply hate ALL of his characters...as far as i'm concerned if a series can have a drinking game made up after it, im getting the next book from the library and not buyin it.(PS Snow Crash by neal stephenson is good readin.) smilePeregrine

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
Heh heh, if anyone can think of a movie that will scare the Martian TELL ME. My friends and I believe that it can't be done. She's like the ultimate tomboy, unscareable er something- its amazing.Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated.N8.------------------Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

psychomonkeymember
148 posts

Posted:
KT- As a matter of fact I just finnished Red Dragon- Awesome book, I wasn't going to coment before I finished, But I turned the last page about 15 minutes ago, very kewl. BTW, my sig. comes from the cover of the book.tekknogurrl- I think you just named almost all of my favorites. Orwell and Cummings are geniuses, unfortunately although they are tought in school, they are almost always butchered. Awesome to know that somone shares my taste.-PSMPS. Has anyone read "The Beach" by Alex Garland? It's the book they based the movie off of, and some say it's awesome, and others say it really sucks. I hear the same about the movie, and not always from the same people. I thought the movie had potemtial, so I thought I'd check the book.------------------"One can only see what one observes, and one observes only things which are already in the mind."-Alphonse Bertillon[This message has been edited by psychomonkey (edited 28 April 2001).]

One can only see what one observes, and one observes only things which are already in the mind.-Alphonse Bertillon

CAINED-AND-UNABLEmember
214 posts

Posted:
sorry all u King fans.im not too keen myself.well, i love to read really engrossing fantasy (or some sci-fi.)J.R.R.Tolkien etc.love books with a large historty and stories behind them.(Silmarilion > hobbit > lord of the ring) + other fantasies like, Myst.It got to the stage though wher i got sick of being sucked into a world of other peoples adventures and started trying to have my own, grin

Dimitrimember
26 posts

Posted:
Sorry Peregrine, I have to agree with Flash Fire that the Robert Jordan has created a masterpiece with his Wheel of Time series.Has anybody read "Pillars of the Earth" By Ken Follet? Its Fantastic!!!!

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
PsychomonkeyI thought the Beach was very good. It is an interesting read however you will find that the movie changes the story somewhat. I usually hate films after reading the book. Clockwork Orange is one of the few films where the film is better than the book.However I enjoyed the film version of the beach, probably cause it was so beautiful and not due to Leopnardo Di Caprio who annoys me so much after Titanic.Also the fact that I was once told I looked like him probably makes me dislike him so much! But definitely, the Beach and Tesseract also by Alex Garland are worth a read.------------------"London is a city coming down from its trip and there's going to be a lot of refugees" - Danny,Withnail & I

- W B Yeats

psychomonkeymember
148 posts

Posted:
Thanks Kat I liked the movie, but it left me wanting something (no loose ends, just something missing. So I thought Id check the book. Have yet to see Clockwork Orange. Want to, but the small video stores here in the good ol' midwest tend to lack in those films. The area I live in is largely conservative. I don't like to use terms like conservative and liberal, because everyone has different views, but around here, almost everone is conservative. So things like that aren't stocked.-PSM

BEZERKERenthusiast
237 posts

Posted:
PSMDEFINATELY take in the Beach as a novel. I loved the movie though not as much as the book. The ends are VASTLY different but somehow make a similar point.A lot of the above are classics, I also read a lot of conspiracy garbage. Some good some laughable but always thought provoking and entertaining. I sometimes wonder whether these people are products of the world we live in or if they just drink too much coffee.

Dr.NoodleHeadBRONZE Member
170 posts

Posted:
Fave book of all time "Illusions" by Richard BachIt changes lives.Fave authors Robert Anton Wilson - after one of his books I spend the next few weeks trying to decide if I'm real or not (The Widow's Son, New Inquisition, etc) . Charles de Lindt - weaves haunting, magical tales (Greenmantle, Moonheart, etc) Iain Banks/Iain M. Banks - just adore the whole "Culture" society and my favorite quote in the world comes from the Crow Road. Asimov - grand-daddy of them all. Huge intellect and even more humungous imagination.Also Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett for making me roll around laughing (soooo embarassing when you're in public) and Julian May (Saga of the Exiles), Anne McCaffrey (Crystal Singer), and Mary Stewart (all of them!) for imagination, intuition and damn good stories.Pretty much love all books - am currently reading 1984 (again! Awesome book - gets more real each time), Cosmic Trigger (just to mess up my head) and Finnigan's Wake (hmmmm, not doing too well - makes my brain ache).I think books are man's greatest invention - they hold all our knowledge, aspirations, flights of imagination, ideas, history, possible futures, everything that humanity represents. If I didn't have to work I'd just live in a library (next door to a pizza shop and across the road from a pub grin ).Noods

Fish are just like trees except they move and they're invisible

Dr.NoodleHeadBRONZE Member
170 posts

Posted:
Wow - and Enchanted Faraway Tree!!! Haven't read that for aeons, but what a story!Noods smile

Fish are just like trees except they move and they're invisible

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
ok i know i am might be slammed for this.....but i dont read too too much.But i am an avid Comic Book collector..I have close to 11,000 comics. And i have read every one at least three times i gurantee.Comics these days are alot deeper than alot of people think. They tackle all sorts of issues that werent touched 10 yrs ago. Aids, homosexuality, rape, economic struggles, abuse, moral issues, moral dilemas, and so on....Just with a twist of of fantasy & imagination..A comic Title that i love to read, is like a book that really never ends. I have some titles i have been following for yrs. SOme are still around, while others ended. So i guess im the official Comic Represenitive here..BUT i have read a few book. (Here comes some more slams)..I loved Charlote's Web ever since i was little. Ill read that book every few yrs or so..of course now it only takes me about 4 hrs..Hee hee. Truphet of the Swan, and Stuart Little..same author (E.B. White).But my favorite book of all time is "The Hobbit"Ill have to check ouit some of the books you guys have listed because i do like to read. I trust your judgement. Super'

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

Page: