Forums > Social Chat > Deleting Posts and Threads...

Login/Join to Participate

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I'm really having difficulty keeping up with all of the politics, points, and accusations appearing recently on HoP because so many people seem to be apparently posting offensive things, then deleting them.

I REALLY have a problem with this. I've never deleted a post of mine (I don't think) because I think it's unfair to everyone who's posted below it. If you say something mildly offensive and regret it, apologize for it in a later post but live with what you've said.

If a post is GREATLY offensive it should be removed. But if it's mildly offensive I think it should be kept so that people can see others for who they really are. Locking a post is a very effective way to end the conversation and then say "this post is being locked because of..." this way others can learn.

One of the great things I like about HoP discussions is the fact that EVERYONE can read the exchange that is going on. With people deleting as fast as they're writing it becomes frustrating to see what the heck is going on.

ALSO, the vague accusations have got me completely paranoid. The "recently people have been" and "some people have said" and "some posts" are driving me nuts... If someone has a problem with something I post, please treat me as an individual and say "NYC"... it's MORE polite than all of these vague "some people are ruining it for the rest of us" vagueness... who? Me? My Mom?

If anybody's got issue with anything I say please say it. I think I've been pretty good lately but the vagueness really bugs me.

In conclusion:
1) If you screw up, stand up and face the music. Don't delete your thread so that only some people can read it.

2) If you got a problem with me... let me know. At least give me the opportunity to explain myself.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i got a problem with you NYC not your mom i love you too much , your kewl and i agree that there is too much vagueness around just latly and even i cant follow certain topics and post, i dont think that we are thicko's, were inteligent people we share a love for some thing called HOP. things will calm mate. it just takes time, not every one posts as much as others. If you take a night off from posting then you can loose sight of threads and whats going on here, but some times we just need to take time out. i agree i deleted a thread i made recently that you posted in, but i made my choice and that was to stay.
be kewl man, i love you thats enough... man my gooeyness is showing again~!
peace

Trippie HippieBRONZE Member
old hand
733 posts

Posted:
I'm really worried now, I've not offended anyone have i?????

LOL
Trippy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone.

"I Got Soul"
Non-Https Image Link

Trippie Hippie- Monty Dons secret love child

Fly like a mouse, run like a pillow, be the small book case.

"Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone".

Because dressing up is fun.

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
NYC - yes it is annoying when people are indirect - it bugs me too. But sometimes it doesn't need to be completely blunt and public - the person concerned will notice and they will be able to act accordingly without pulling a whole thread down.

And I don't like people deleting random posts. Or threads. But people can go back and edit if they feel their post wasn't right - I often write something nice that somehow can be interpreted in a very different tone of voice, so I edit it/delete it so as not to offend. If the offence is already made I pm the person who's got annoyed with me and sort it out privately, then delete the post. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Surely it's a good thig that we try not to make everything into a battle, and try not to leave offensive things about the place for others to trip over.

But I see your point that it makes things hard to read.....though to be fair a lot of stuff goes straight over my fairy head anyway

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

BEZERKERenthusiast
237 posts

Posted:
Kind of agree with NYC here. I haven't logged on for a week and am utterly confused as to where all this tension came from. Tried going back through threads couldn't track down where it all happened. (typical me, I was always the last to the fights in the school playground and invariably only got to see 2 dudes patting each other on the back and saying "Yeah, yeah good fight mate.")

I don't even correct(edit) my typos

It's a natural part of life to sometimes say unecessary things when you get flared up. Guess it's another one of those 'cyberspace' things where people can totally edit/refine/portray whatever they want in a much finer detail than in real life by editing in "what they should have said". I suppose that's the appeal. At least I comfortable with who I am :-

A 180cm, 80 kilo buffed up poi champ who can play flamenco guitar, draw comics, juggle 8 balls, earns $180,000 who drives a hard tuned WRX and *never* says the wrong thing.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I agree with the deletion and editing power being one we should have, lord knows I have had to fix spellings that threw my entire post to the shite pile, but in this scope I also agree that if the post is in some way offensive, own it, explain it (calmly) and move on. You can't take back your words when you write them in a letter and send it, or when you are speaking face to face, you shouldn't be able to here either. It changes the entire course of things. Yes, NYC, I couldn't agree more.

As for the vagueness, that is something you will have to live with. If someone singly does something not appropriate to the boards then they are dealt with through pm's and email. If the same occurrance is happening over and over by different people, they are dealt with off the boards individually and the issue is addressed at large on the board. As a now ex-teacher, it is the same approach used in many classrooms. A group of students acts up, they are dealt with seperately after class and an announcement about behaviour is made to the entire class on the whole, without pointing fingers. It gets the message across without singling anyone out publically as "the bad seed". Part of diplomacy and tact is also protecting people, and the vagueness only refers to who and not the situations. You don't need to know who did it if you know what has happened.
Anyway, just my view on this as it has played out.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
will come back after i have given this some thought...

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I certainly agree that anyone has a right to edit or delete a post. I just wish they would choose to stand behind their words.

Editing for clarity is important.

I just would prefer it if someone changes their mind, they post it in a later thread rather than changing/deleting a thread.

As for vagueness Pele, I don't think the message IS getting out to the bad seed. Especially if a large number of us are wondering "Is it us they're talking about? Is it them?" To keep with the teaching parallel, it would be like saying "Hey kids, some of you guys are doing some bad things and it needs to stop" Which really translates to "The kids with low self esteem with thing I'm talking to them and the kids who don't care won't care..." Anonimity is different than vagueness. I agree with anonimity (though one of these days should figure out how to spell it...) but not with vagueness.

But that's not my real point. My real point is against radically editing and deleting posts. For example, (and I pick a silly one) if I post a post that says "Malcom is a jerk" the next posts are going to blast me (as well they should) "NYC, you don't know what you're talking about!" "You're the jerk" etc. etc. etc... Then I go back and change "Malcom is a jerk" to "I love Malcom"... Now YOU all look stupid. In essence, I've changed what YOU all have said. Now everyone in the other hemsphere wakes up and sees the thread and wonders why all of these mean and nasty people are blasting sweet and loveble me.

Nothing that obvious has happened but, yes, thinks LIKE that have. And I think it's unfair to anyone who posts after the person.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
dude, the obvious solution is there right in front of you.
be like c@ntus and bender and just take large amounts of coffee and nodoz and put your exercise bike right next to the screen, baby, and stay with hop as much as possible, every day, don't leave the house. or apartment. in other words don't miss one exciting moment!!! don'tya luv it?
most any argument here is gonna be about one of two things...
1. a misunderstanding.
2. a misunderstanding, about ego stuff .
either way, if it ain't in social, i think it should be kept clean and free of that kinda stuff, once the wind has blown over. the people go through their interaction, and that's cool, but this site is for instruction too. people don't need to read all that drama while they just want to find out what fuel to use to set granny's rug on fire

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:

So what is the best fuel to set granny's rug on fire? And does it matter if it is pure wool or manmade fibres?

*please excuse the frivolous digression, Arashi just made me laugh*

And now, back to the topic...

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
ok now so here i have a poignant dilemma. i just noticed that somehow i accidentally edited out part of a sentence in the post above, which originally said, "be like c@ntus and bender *and me*, and just..."
now the posted way makes me sound mean. but the original way made it obvious that it was a setup to a joke. is it ok to edit it back, after someone is affended? the dilemma spirals on...

{i edited this post for clarity} {and no it's not funny } {and yes this is really deep}

[ 11. December 2002, 14:59: Message edited by: arashi ]

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.