Forums > Social Chat > Attention all - please read

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Very sobering post Malcolm. The board is a community of people, so I really don't think you should blame yourself. As a community, we should all accept responsibly.

There have been some exceptional posts, comments and philosophies expressed already, and there is not much I can add. I hope you continue with col 4. The spinning and twirling from around the world videos are an inspiration to us all, as is HOP

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Thank you Malcolm
HOP helped me to find myself and through the years I found a lot of heartfelt people.It was what I ever wish.

FOREVER POI-FOREVER HOP

POI THEO(R)IST

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I agree with FireMike that each of our environments also colours how we see chaos. Those of us from chaos maybe do not see this as such. Also I think too that those who are of a more emotional nature feel shakiness in the ranks a bit more than those who aren't so emotional.

we blessedly free the strong part within timid people- posted by FireMike

I love this statement! I just had to say that.

Correct me if I am wrong Malcolm, but I don't think you ever meant to not do COL4, just not offer a prize. Daniel, there was a prize for the first one, I think it was something around $100 of merch or something.
I have to disagree with Dom on his point that the entry level of COL4 should be at the level of Sage or Shibaki. I think that enacting such a rule displays another elitest attitude. I have seen beginners who are not remotely close to the quality of Sage spinning who pull some really interesting stuff off out of the blue that should be on a video for us to learn from. Again, it is not about technicality but about sharing what you can do that might enhance the art, whether it be a 55 beat something or a bodily variation of a butterfly. Granted, I do think that people who stand in one place and go "Butterfly, butterfly..uh..now..weave!" should wait to submit to COL5 perhaps, until they are smoother and more comfortable.

PK...Thanks for sharing that. I can remember a time when that would've been every single person on the HoP board...long before we had 3000 members! LOL

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

The_Pirate_Dyke_BoyHOP Lord of the Pirate Admiralty
1,079 posts

Posted:
Thank you malcolm, truely from the heart. This site is the only place i can communicate with other spinners when im at boarding school. It so refreshing so write to peeps without beingafraid of them acting "too Cool" for a decnet response. What youve done in this site is bring a small group in the world a lot closer together. I pray one day we can meet.
Dave Vivas
Lesbian lover
X x X x X

D.B.
X x X x X

Ship off the starboard! sound general quarters! noise and light discipline! man the cannons! GET ME THE RUM!

Master of the Free Hug Program

ivan..member
165 posts

Posted:
encouragement...

this is something i have recieved from most everyone who i have spoken with on HOP, and i have encouraged others ( in a very conservative and safe way ) if nothing else this page has given me this.. and i am thankfull for it ...

thankful to the moderators and the creator ..

all of our ego's tend to get large and large ego's bruise easily ,

but thanks for the encouragement

pax,
ivan

thats right i look like an albino ape that has had a bad day.. go ahead say something stupid... i dare ya !

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
pele it goes to show in such little time how big HOP has grown and how fast the pace is here now with so many people that post.
Be prepared its gonna get bigger, can u feel the craze yet?... its coming.
preparation is what is needed now for what is to come. its gonna be loco

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
WEll- I for one would support the removal of the competition side of the video compilation. I think instead it should be prize enough to get a DVD or Video copy for free if you get on at all, but as for the people on the tape - I think they should represent a cross section of STYLES. unfriendly competitiveness (which seems to be the problem) is SHITE, and IMHO, harms the spirit of firetwirling, and is only encouraged by the judging aspect of the vids.

You do a wicked Job Malcolm. Truly outstanding. Some people dont seem to realise what an amazing resource/opportunity this board is. But I do.

Josh

Carmapictmember
5 posts

Posted:
Malcolm,
I am relitively new to this site and can confess that I have never used message boards chat-rooms or anything of the like before, but while browsing through HOP looking for equipement and checking out the site I was quite astonished to find such a thirving, colourfully community of fire folk. Well done for creating an environment within which people like us can make contact.
Let not the burden of Human Condition covet our spirits.

Liquid Popmember
62 posts

Posted:
malcom, i say that you have created the best site on the internet i have ever found. i think it has attracted thousands of great people who all have a love for the same thing. i only wish i could put things into words like you do man, keep it up, your doing an amazing job.

the pop

if practice makes perfect, and no one is perfect, then why practice?

trintekmember
107 posts

Posted:
i agree with most of what firemike said, and yeah, there are many of us working on versions of a community. HoP was the first major place i hit, and, i hit it as a lurker, wanted to learn to blow, but wanted to be as safe as possible about it, after reading through stuff on here and learning the risks, i took it slower than i had planned, and, if i do say so myself, have gotten pretty damned good due to that fact alone..

TOTeM (mine) was started as a community/event site for local events, local shows, etc... since its start, it has evolved into a mainly fire site, i dont mind this really... but, any community site will have its fair share of conflicts, especially as it evolves. Growth and conflict will always be a marriage made out of necessity, at the same time it gets to be a royal pain to deal with at times, just know you have my full support in whatever you choose to do. This site has and will remain to be, an inspiration to anyone that is really trying to build a community.

Ego's will always play a part in anything, fire majorly.. I am guilty of this tonight, only reason i went to practice tonight was, deimos said nadine was getting better than me... i went with the intention of showing her up... instead of trying, i took into account i am still recovering from chem pneumonia, and only did three or four blows... she called me a bastard, then asked me how she was doing.. i went out of my way to tell her i was pleased with how much progress she's made in controlling the flame.

Sure my ego got me there, but seeing how much she had progressed made me drop the ego and try to be extremely supportive... in my book, ego is bad, but, necessary to help us try to become more than we currently are... if she hadnt of gotten beter, i wouldnt be forcing myself to keep up or surpass her the major concept here is to not let ego get out of hand, and to never let it control the way you act towards others... i may have a little bit of an ego, but, i also go out of my way to try and help others learn anything i know, instead of being rude and dissing on people...

sorry for the rambling, hopefully this actually made sense havent slept much lately, so... either way, I love HoP, always will, and, it will always inspire me to put in as much extra time and effort as it takes to try and make my site even half as good.

-trin

We bleed the same blood, We cry the same tears, We have the same fears, We pass the same years, We see the same stars, Under the same skies, We pass the same time, We all live and die

Page: