Girl From Marsmember
168 posts

Posted:
i always liked the contact juggling. i was wondering if any of you know how? if your not sure what i mean by contact juggling..... when people take small balls and roll them like from the palm of their hand to the back of their hand.also where can i find a diablo? PLUR smile------------------the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

Big Daddi-Yomember
21 posts

Posted:
Not sure about contact juggling, but here's some info on diabolos...I have a couple and I enjoy both stickless tied string diaboloing and normal sticked diaboloing. Weeee! smile You can find good priced diabolos at www.davesyoyos.com If you're a beginner, start out with a "circus". If you are advanced, try a "kolibri". I started out on a "beach" which is a medium sized diabolo. A "jazz" is a normal diabolo but has a small diameter. You'll be happy with whatever one you get. smile~Derrick

Wow! Check out this bagel I found behind my refridgerator!

Twistmember
160 posts

Posted:
i contact juggle.... so does tall guy.... check out his picks under the "double-bladed sword" (or something) thread.see the thread i started on "contact fire" too...

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Well, Linkohyrule contact juggles very well, we just got the basic lessons from him this past weekend at the East Coast Spin Party, it is amazing. Anyway check out www.contactjuggling.org The pictures are hard to decipher but the lessons are alright.Renegade and Dube both sell Diablo's as well, one of them sells a fire diablo.Good Luck...------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Girl From Marsmember
168 posts

Posted:
thanx everyone. i figured i'd try expanding my horizons smile big daddy, how long did it take you to learn the basics with the diabolos? and for twist any pointers for a beginner contact juggler?------------------the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

Big Daddi-Yomember
21 posts

Posted:
Well, I learned the basics of diaboling fairly fast. It should only take a couple weeks to really get the feel of it. Once you get the right feeling, tricks are a snap. wink~DerrickP.S. go to www.diabolotricks.com for tricks. smile

Wow! Check out this bagel I found behind my refridgerator!

Twistmember
160 posts

Posted:
if you use a metal ball, don't do it near the tv, lamp, window, other people, the cat, or other pain feeling or breakable entities.otherwise, i'd say check that sight that pele sent, don't think about it too much, and if you're a smoker, get really really really really high first.(sorry to all those purists out there. i'm just in a lot better contact with my body when i smoke.)

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
I learned off this guy's website.Its good with some great links. www.contactjuggling.compeace outgarbo tongue

be excellent to each other: safe:

CAINED-AND-UNABLEmember
214 posts

Posted:
hey hey.im with twist.just relax. i practice while watching the t.v.sometimes.but most of all be patient. the more angry u get at dropping the ball while learning the worse it gets.OH AND: learn with both hands. dont just do all your tricks really well with one hand and okay with the other, it doesn't work.hope i could help. happy playing tongue

TallJugglermember
41 posts

Posted:
When doing contact juggling start with a rubber ball to pratice and work on new tricks with before buying a contact juggling ball, for though most are shatterproof they nick and scratch easily. Check https://www.dube.com/
for contact balls and diabollos. Renegade sells a fire diabollo and for those in Europe, they get their fire diabollo from fyrefli.

Oh LordForge me in the fire of your mightLet your flames burn higher and brighterMake me pure and holy in your siteAnd cleanse me with thy consuming fire

LinkoHyrulemember
5 posts

Posted:
Yeah, contactjuggling.org is definitely your best online resource. I learned with pool balls, but its quite satisfying to use the neato-looking acrylics. They have a nice weight and size to them too. There is a book by James Earnest called (appropriately) "Contact Juggling" which is a good resource as well. Good luck!Link of Hyrule

Drakemember
72 posts

Posted:
i contact juggle and do diabolo, and definately recomend www.contactjuggling.org and www.diabolotricks.com . its from those sites that i pretty much learned how to do both. that and friends and michael moschen. now at cj.org, i highly recomend checking out the essays by feret. they are great for getting good techniques for learning. also in the moves section there are some great tricks and transitions you can do. theres also a little vid at www.contactjuggling.com that is good, ya know, for the visual learners. for use, i recomend acrylics. and if you can buy enough, give multiball a try, its fun. as for diabolos...i bought mine from amsterdam so you may wanna ask someone else.DRAKEkatafunk@hotmail.comwww.geocities.com/katafunk

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
Now I really need to work on CJ again. Brian, you were really impressive. smileAs far as diabolo stuff goes, if you'd like to see a video of a lot of the basic (and not so basic) tricks, this is a freestyle I captured from vhs last year:https://www.yoyoing.com/shawn/quicktime/DiaboloInternet1.movIt is of Drew Cason (from the Australian team Mad Max), performing in Japan.I remember when I first saw it, it really opened my eyes to what was possible with a diabolo. Is about 67megs, and 3mins long.Shawn

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Since I just started with such things...how long did it take you all to learn?I pick up things pretty quick to the medium level and then get stuck when it moves to advanced and actually have to start working then.Thanks,Pele------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Twistmember
160 posts

Posted:
I got the basic contact moves down in a couple of weeks... and my juggling balls have been gathering dust ever since I got my poi......I have to say that poi is simply the most satisfying of these movements that I've tried... I practice an average of two hours a day... and every time I feel like I take away something new.....last night I had this truly remarkable experience where I could move in any direction, randomly, without breaking a weave... and I found that the boundaries between three-beat, four-beat, five-beat, forward and reverse just dissolved... and had the ability to move at random and at will with no worries.Which doesn't change the fact that I STILL club myself in the head 50% of the time I do an overhead butterfly.

Girl From Marsmember
168 posts

Posted:
Thanx Everyone wink . if you come up with any other tips for me let me know smile------------------the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

De_Fragmember
26 posts

Posted:
Hey Mars Girl!I've been (attempting) to contact juggle for quite some time. It's definitely one of the most difficult things to learn--but wonderful when you actually gain (some) control over the ball.I'm one who picks up something *really cool*, spends a week on it, then finds something else *really cool* to work on. Eventually I'll get back to that first thing. And that's what happened with me and CJ.The best thing I learned: Practice one or another trick EVERY DAY for at least 15 minutes a day, and at least a week. Don't even think about letting yourself get discouraged!! Note your skill level before, and after that week. Then do it again with another trick! Make sure you're fiddling with it while watching TV or doing any other leisure thing...Also, kind of funny, but when I twirl poi for a really long time, or as fast as I can for a long time, I notice my arms and wrists "loosen up" a bit, and feeling the ball roll down my arms is much easier than otherwise.*oh yeah*--go for a rubber ball to start with. They're lighter, but you'll have more freedom in where you can practice, since acrylic sure dents the house up smile 3" is a good size; but size don't matter so much as long as you learn.

rw

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
Yeah, that has tended to be my problem, De_Frag... lots of hobbies and cycling through them. Now, I need to take out my acrylic ball and give it another shot.But, I've been fussing with learning languages lately (Esperanto and Japanese), and from experiance really have to agree about the little bit of time consistantly doing wonders. There are so many little dead spaces during a day that you can fill in with interesting stuff. smile

JeStErSILVER Member
enthusiast
214 posts

Posted:
Trying to fill in a few at the moment, just got a 100mm peach juggling ball and trying to create a few more ideas, had a look at some of the other sites mentioned, only got one so trying to do the one near the start of the movie "labrynth".
Any tips, pointers, or new moves you've worked out?

BUMP

Trying to play the Akashic records,
but my turntables not compatible.

the man behind the curtainmember
52 posts
Location: second star on the right and straight on till morn...

Posted:
i know about three moves but my crystal walked away so i need to get a new one.

may you travel far andlive in interesting times.unless you a bhuddist in which case i wish you nothing

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
well, i've been teaching myself for a while, i can actually roll the ball across my hands arms and body, i've almost got the catch it behind your neck thing. it's so much fun! so much more fun that just moving it in your hands...it took a lot of practicing in front of a couch so i didn't have to bend over every time i dropped it. then you figure out how to flick it up with your feet.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
I'm lerning contact juggling... It's a long prosess though... And I don't often get time to practice... But I'm getting there.

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

Girl From Marsmember
168 posts

Posted:
i began during college teaching myself. that's when the first post on this board was from. since then i havent' the time till recently. i never learn very well so now that i have the time to i am starting again from step one. going well so far. i hope to buy and video or book soon on some tricks. if you have any tips for beginners then please explain the to i and the rest of us who are interested.

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
silver paul has a site worth a look at:
www.thesilverman.co.uk follow the links to the cfontact juggling site main page
See also the videos:
steve it a god of clubswinging
a supergod of contact staff
and judge for yourself on the 1 ball contact!!!
Disclaimer: Karines not realy happy with the video of her it was 5:30 in the morning, and we were all fncked (I'm going to bed in the background) just look at her eyes!! So theres no accuracy, but it's still amazing to watch.
Also thats doug at the worst i've seen him, hes usually a muliball god.
There quite a few hoppers lurking in them videos.
Oh and me somewhere.
Drew

[ 22 May 2002, 00:00: Message edited by: glass ]

SmokyDavySILVER Member
Do my poi look too small in this?
394 posts

Posted:
Glass is very good.. he makes me feel like I should put training wheels on my contact ball.