ducky2108A little bit of a board whore
147 posts

Posted:
Why is it that large multinational corporations are seen as evil, like Starbucks, Walmart, (in the UK) Tesco and McDonalds - all seen as evil compnaies, whilst their competitors aren't.

I'm not talking in comparison to the little Ma and Pa enterprise down the road, but why is it that in the UK, Tescos is evil, whilst Sainsbury's isn't. Why is Burger King not quite as bad as McDonalds.

If these Evil Multinationals didn't exist, then surely the others'd just fill the gap in the market.

Ancient wiseman say "It is very strange person, who, when left alone in room with teacosy, does not try it on"

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
I think people dislike any business that prizes income far far higher than either customer satisfaction or employee happiness. The popular ones are just more prolific and therefore easier targets. Although Macdonalds is worse than Burger King in terms of deforestation and crap food, and Starbucks contributes to the repression of 3rd World coffee farmers.

I'm still confused as to why people don't simply pay about 5% more for local, independent retailers as a price to pay for not bolloxing the planet, but hey, capitalism at it's best.

And for future reference then I think this might belong in "Discussion" rather than "Chat". Maybe.

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Businesses value customer satisfaction alot actually, otherwise they would have no customers!!

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
But nine times out of ten the little ma and pa outfit will give better service and a higher quality product. The only thing a corp can do is lower price (cheap parts/ingredients, underpaid workers/suppliers) and a whole load of psychological mind fscking (endless barrages of advertising and product placement), so you're convinced you're getting something better.

You don't need to worry about customer satisfaction when you've got so much advertising out there no-one is even aware of the competition.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
its all the money talking, which is the same reason people hate it

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
I buy local
but i do have to admit that Starbucks make the nicest coffee hummmmm

oh im a bad bad man!!!

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
But why do people hate McDonalds so much, as compared to Burger King/Hungry Jack's?

I think that's what's being asked, rather than a comparison between McD's and the little old lady's shop.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

Pen DravenUnofficial Lord Of Confusion And Pirate Extrodinaire
1,363 posts

Posted:
Now I'd buy local if i could,, but the high street where i live now only has one shop that isnt part of a big chain frown And as its a cycle shop i dont really have anything from there i want most of the time.

As for the McD's vs BK,, maybe its because often (in my experience) BK's tend to be franchised out so theres some little differences between store to store rather than the Ridged everyone is exactly the same style that McD's appears to have....

Some men see things and say why....

I Dream of things that never were and say Why Not....?

Oh No I'm going to get Shot Alive if he finds out - DA wink

Dressed in BlackBRONZE Member
A Fire Inside
191 posts

Posted:
Written by: Mint Sauce

I buy local
but i do have to admit that Starbucks make the nicest coffee hummmmm

oh im a bad bad man!!!

try some cafe direct, it's better!! ubblove

::: I LiKe pLeAsUrE sPiKeD wItH pAiN - MuSiC iS mY aErOpLaNe :::

ducky2108A little bit of a board whore
147 posts

Posted:
Yes, I was getting at why is tesco seen as evil, whilst you never hear about the evilness of Sainsburys, or even Asda (who are now owned by Walmart).

Conmparing them to the little greengrocers down the road has been done to death before, but I still can't see why some Multis are less evil than others. I've heard people say "I don't like Starbucks, they're evil, lets go to Costa instead"

Ancient wiseman say "It is very strange person, who, when left alone in room with teacosy, does not try it on"

A Fire Inside
191 posts

Posted:
i think it's because, as this post shows, and as i have found out from talking to my friends, it's amazing how many people don't know that ANY companies are evil, let alone which ones. it's not just the huge companies that do it, or just the ones with cheap stock.

in a list that was published recently, debenhams and gap were named alongside cheap outlets such as primark (apparently the wost offender) as some of the least ethical comapnies operating in the UK. here's the link to the news story, it's quite short so not too much reading smile

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3509470.stm

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
I prefer BK to McDs for 3 reasons:

1. Their Packaging has got some funny stuff on it, not just the usual marketing crap. "Buying this Burger shows you to be a unique and positive individual. It shows that you know what you want and you're not afraid to ask for it. This deserves special recognition, so give yourself a round of applause, and then people will know that you're not like everyone else" or something. Freaking funny is what it is.

2. Their Bacon Double Cheeseburgers ubblove ubbrollsmile

3. It's either them or Subway, because I flat out refuse to go to McDs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

A Fire Inside
191 posts

Posted:
have you ever thought you may have been a victim of BK's clever advertising that makes you feel like you are a unique and positive individual because you bought a burger

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
dont be silly, the writing on the wrapper is intended for the burger, not the consumer. how would you feel if you were made on a production line? i pitty the little guy

and i think you'll find MDs are franchised, at least they are where i live

Pen DravenUnofficial Lord Of Confusion And Pirate Extrodinaire
1,363 posts

Posted:
We'll I'm always willing to be corrected biggrin

Some men see things and say why....

I Dream of things that never were and say Why Not....?

Oh No I'm going to get Shot Alive if he finds out - DA wink

DevilsarmyBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,984 posts

Posted:
sethis this isnt going to turn into a whole thing where you disagree with everything?

Actually back on HoP guys ...

Owned By MiG
Owns Fyre and Mods_Stole_My_Name

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Written by: Sethis

2. Their Bacon Double Cheeseburgers ubblove ubbrollsmile

You sir, Have great taste biggrin ubblove

Ooo... I also ubblove Starbucks. To bits. Hmmmm... Frappacinos.. *drool*

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

DevilsarmyBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,984 posts

Posted:
hey arent you supposed to be at school mr henas? umm

Owned By MiG

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Written by: devilsarmy

sethis this isnt going to turn into a whole thing where you disagree with everything?

umm

I reserve the right to disagree with anything I disagree with. You also have that right. It's called "Freedom of Speech" (within the borders set by the Mods).

More to the point, I wasn't disagreeing with anything, I was answering the question "Why do people hate McDonalds more than Burger King" which was asked by the starter of the thread.

@ FRD: Thanks wink biggrin

10,530 posts

Posted:
Written by: devilsarmy

hey arent you supposed to be at school mr henas? umm

School seems pretty useless, seeing as I can't spell frappacino, doesn't it? wink

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
it's a scam and an urban leg...

actualy the "evil" and the "not so evil" multinational are both owned by the same investmentgroup/ bank/ holding... the rest is only PR and giving you something to feel good about ("I never drink @ starbucks/ eat @ McD/ fuel up @ Shell...)

get real guys - you're trapped! devil woahahaha *wooshes off with a smell of sulfur*

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

DevilsarmyBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,984 posts

Posted:
sethis: just u seem to never disagree with everything

FRD: well u were online at 1:02pm and usually your in lesson

Owned By MiG

Boo_BunnyBRONZE Member
Sparkely arty Mormon rainbow fairy
933 posts

Posted:
I work for one of those 'evil' multinationals, ASDA.

To me its no diffrent from any other shop, apart from its bigger and everything is in one building.

Mulitinatonals are good, they pay me. biggrin

Property of Fine_Rabid_Dog

10,530 posts

Posted:
ASDA are evil? umm With their cheap as chip prices?

DA: Free period. biggrin Course, I was supposed to be working and all... but meh. rolleyes

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
ASDA are evil. I worked at one, and escaped (just). They made us make uniforms out of bing bags and sellotape in the interview. If that's not evil, I don't know what is.

Nothing is a luxury anymore, because however much you earn, you can always afford the budget approximation of the original. Like the quite-nice-but-obviously-dirty 25p big bars of chocolate in Tesco or whatever.

I'm clearly being idealistic, but it must've been nice to consider the chance to eat chocolate as something to look forward to. Now no-one has to, and I mean no-one. You can literally find that sort of money in an hour if you put your mind to it.

Perhaps people wouldn't be so fat in the west if everything wasn't so cheap.

An unpopular position, but a valid one I think. As a student I have to stretch my budget pretty far, and I don't drink. But however much I have to think about finding the money for rent and books and stuff, I never have to worry about whether or not I can afford a "treat", and as such they make up a large part of my diet. And yet I can't afford to buy organic.

[/babbling]

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

NoddyToe Poking Bad Boy
2,865 posts

Posted:
im still free from working at a multinational, but i start uni soon.... eek

Remember.........YOU LOSE!!!

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
is uni a multinatonal? its all over the world and teaches many of the same concepts? (although its true they dont work together, but still)