Forums > Social Discussion > Manic Depression/Bipolarism

Login/Join to Participate

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
I posted this on my blog on msn, but not all of you would have read it, as I mostly talk crap.

I have really bad moodswings and I kept putting it down as hormonal, until a few weeks ago when a friend pointed out that I may suffer from manic depression. I took offense by this and ripped into the poor guy. Of course, a while later I apologised and started thinking that I probably did have.

I suffered depression though out my late teens, and it's kind of developed into what I suffer from now.

Here are the common symptoms for both mania and depression, and often they can go from one extreme to the other in a very short time span.

Depression

Mental Symptoms Feelings of unhappiness that don't go away
Losing interest in things
Being unable to enjoy things
Finding it hard to make even simple decisions
Feeling utterly tired
Feeling restless and agitated
Losing self-confidence
Feeling useless, inadequate and hopeless
Feeling more irritable than usual
Thinking of suicide

Physical Symptoms Losing appetite and weight
Difficulty in getting to sleep
Waking earlier than usual
Constipation
Going off sex (not one i'm familiar with lol)

Mania Very happy and excited
Irritated with other people who don't share your optimistic outlook
Full of energy
Unable or unwilling to sleep
Full of new and exciting ideas
More important than usual
That you are hearing voices that other people can't hear (Not one of my symptoms!)

Other people may notice that you are: Jumping very quickly from one idea to another
Making plans that are grandiose and unrealistic
Very active and moving very quickly
Behaving in a bizarre way
Speaking very quickly - if your mood is very high, it can be difficult for other people to understand what you are talking about
Making odd decisions on the spur of the moment, sometimes with disasterous consequences
Recklessly spending your money
Less inhibited about your sexual behaviour

Now people who know me may think that that's what they love about me, but there is so much more to me than just my moods! We all do a few things on the list above, but manic depressives do them frequently!

Neither extreme depression or extreme mania should be ignored, as it can be hard for loved ones to cope with you.

Peace out - and remember to chill!

hug

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Hey Tink smile

I'm a bit crazy sometimes too, and I toyed with the idea i may be bipolar (oh yeah, the Politically correct way of saying manic depression!!!)
But my doc said you have to be manic for a few days solidly, then depressed for days solidly. Whereas i flit from one moment to the next.
If your moods are consistent on a weekly basis then you may well be bipolar. hug

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
actually it's a bit of both, as i have days of mania which have fleeting moments of depression, and vice versa. plus i've noticed food colouring and additives make it much worse. I get very short tempered too after drinking coffee.

My doctor said something different - she said you can be bipolar no matter if your mood lasts a few days or a few minutes - its the extremeness of it that causes concern. or something like that - i wasn't really listening as she had a string of snot dangling in her nose that she hadnt realised was there and i was mesmerised every time she took a breath....

The thing is, alot of the time I keep it inside and never let it out, unless i'm in comfortable surroundings. Sometimes I thank the stars for my shyness, otherwise i'd get weird looks on the street.

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
the thing about me is i'm myself from the minute you meet me. weirdness and all. it puts alot of people off. But sod em! hehhee

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Check out Beyond Blue

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
although i'm sure some of the services they offer arent international........

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

DoktorSkellSILVER Member
addict
475 posts

Posted:
People who are Bipolic write great albums

For an example of an album written by someone with BiPolar disorder listen to City by Strapping Young Lad.

It will let you know just how angry a person can get. He recorded this album to vent his anger

Fair luna bright, fair luna moon
it shines at night but fades too soon
fair luna moon, fair luna bright
forever we dance
we dance under starlight

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
dont take the pilllssss
pilllssss baddddd

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Instead of self diagnosing or listening to other people's opinions it is always best to consult with a professional.

I always thought I suffered depression when I was younger until I got older and actually started getting REALLY bad then I realised that what I had when I was younger was just the blues from being an outcast kid.

The blues was nothing quite as extreme as my moods when I hit 18.

I went to a professional who diagnosed me properly (I had family and friends telling me I was suffering depression and needed to get help) turns out they were only partially correct. If I had tried to treat myself for dpression I would never have got to the point I am at now in my life (as in healing properly). I actually suffered from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, which is a form of depression but you have to be able to figure out the underlying problem that caused the trauma and deal with it through that way (which is easier said than done when you bury memories as far down as I had at the time).

So please go see someone who actually knows about these things properly and (if you want to sort it out) will be able to help you find the correct method in helping you overcome it. (And that doesn't necessarily mean taking the drugs option!)

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
my manic depression is linked to my BPD (Borderline personality disorder) i don't mind the manic happy days, its a refreshing change to the near on constant down patches hug hug i do have trouble convinccing my doc and team behind me that i am fine wiothout taking the meds. have been on them beofre for far too long and they didn't help, instead they turned me into a zombie... the problems were still there i just had a huge case of "I don't give a censored" attitude whcih didn't help in the long run

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
i fall into the catagory of depressed, some days i'm really bad (usually if it's raining all day) i have no energy or motivation to do anything.

it winds me up when people say i'm lazy and i should cheer up

Ggggggggrrrrrrrrrrr

what do they know, i would love it if they actually knew how it feels some days

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
i'm sure they wouldn't

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
<- suffering from "general depression"

I can't be assed to visit a psychiatrist, but it's been pretty obvious to counselors and my doctors that something's been wrong with me. If anything, it probably is a mix of schiznophenia and manic depression.

But even though I pretty much know and deal with it, (tried drugs to help it in the past, made me worse, better, and then I swore off them) you should see a professional. That's really the best advice anyone can give you. Try to see if your insurance covers it.

Best of luck, hug

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire