Page:
Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
Searching

I have a small gripe to make about searching well not so much searching more people saying do a search (I am guilty of it myself ubbangel)

The problem is people say do a search without even thinking about the answer confused.

A lot of the questions asked many people don’t actually know the answer if you don’t know anything about what somebody is asking or don’t have anything useful to add (unless of course it is funny biggrin) then don’t post I can see this turning many newbie’s away. redface

Or if you think a topic has been discussed before don’t just shout do a search actually do the search smile (as you know how it works! many newbie’s don’t wink)

Go find a useful link and direct them to it. (like our good old mr UCOF)

A good example of what I am talking about is the [Old link] skully did just the right thing hug.

But if you just take a look at all the links John puts up in the following thread most of it is people just being insulting saying things like

Written by: flid

this has been discussed about a zillion times.

PLEASE run a search!

frown

Ok that one was ok but I'm sure a lot of the info on this sight may be out of date so just think before you just shout at people.

Thanks

hug ubbangel

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
*cockney accent*
Is what she does inniiiiit?
biggrin

Then again, we have all been lazy and cheeky, some of us at the same time.
Its if you make up for it in the future that counts. smile

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
i realize that was in good fun, because of the graemlin

Written by:

Then again, we have all been lazy and cheeky, some of us at the same time.

Its if you make up for it in the future that counts. biggrin

so is that kinda like being told off to do a search, and then later telling others the same?

[edited for lack of sarcastic graemlin]

wink

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Yes.
And, if you're cheeky and rude, then the least you can do in the future is spend 5-10 mins going through the search results looking for the right thread to link to for someone.

Korma Karma. smile

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
isnt that

karma coma

?

good old massive attack vs tricky.

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
No, its not.
Ive already explained that one to fireNice
biggrin

But anyway, back on topic,
I think the seraach button should be bigger.
Preferably half of the screen.
Well... maybe not that big... but maybe a bit more obvious?
shrug

shen shuiSILVER Member
1,799 posts

Posted:
if only i was fireNice...
then i'd know too.

should i run a search on this topic, then, maybe, do you think?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
No, ask him.
Im going home now.
Goodbye all
wave

ducky2108A little bit of a board whore
147 posts

Posted:
The amount of times I've started reading a thread which could have been quite useful, and just turn out to be someone looking for advice, only to be greeted with a round of "Have you looked for it"s is actually quite depressing. Also, when people do provide links, sometimes they just go to other threads with either links or people screaming "Do a search".

I know people do this to try and make the boards more managable, and they don't like repeating themselves. However, if a thread has been created, and it's a thing that lots of people search on (like "Sparkly Poi" for example), then it's already out there. No amount of telling people to search is going to reverse that. It's no wonder people can't find any useful information. All the threads are just filled with people pontificating about the search function.

Also, maybe if it's being asked so many times, could someone who seems to know all about it not, maybe, do an article about it (most newbies don't even know what an infinite-isolated-super-duper-hyper-loopy is). Then, there'd be an easy link to point people to, rather than telling them to do a search, and the world would be a happier and shinier place all round, and we could all just get along.

Ancient wiseman say "It is very strange person, who, when left alone in room with teacosy, does not try it on"

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I reckon a major part of the search engine is the Rate Thread section at the bottom of every thread.
If everyone who read it voted a useless thread as useless, the search engine wouldn't pick up on it and the search results would get a whole lot more useful.

I'm going to be making a point of rating threads as much as possible, I think everyone should do the same.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
yeaah, the rate thread is good, i thought if it gest enough 'should be deleted' botes it does get deleted.

ever since i learnt how to make links i havent told anyone to do a serach! yay for links

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

shen shuiSILVER Member
1,799 posts

Posted:
macrocosm/microcosm...

just like searching for something on google or whatever...

you cant help but pull up random obscure things that You Dont Want (even though they fit the search criteria..!)...

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
yeah, sometimes the serach can be frustrating

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Written by: ducky2108

Also, maybe if it's being asked so many times, could someone who seems to know all about it not, maybe, do an article about it (most newbies don't even know what an infinite-isolated-super-duper-hyper-loopy is).

Did someone ask what an infinite-isolated-super-duper-hyper-loopy is?

Then the answer can ~probably~ be found somewhere in [Old link].

smile

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

ducky2108A little bit of a board whore
147 posts

Posted:
No. But if everyone got their way, and people always found exactly what they were looking for, you'd just have pages of impenetrable jargon which a novice can't understand.

At the minute, we have impenetrable jargon, and people telling others to just do a search on a move they might not even know the name of. I'm sure I've seen someone ask for a move they didn't know the name of, so they described the move, only to be then told the name and asked if they'd done a search on it.

This is really neither friendly or helpful.

Ancient wiseman say "It is very strange person, who, when left alone in room with teacosy, does not try it on"

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
And we also have people asking how to do 3bt weaves on the end of the helpful advice thread. I mean, isn't the reason that the thread is stuck to the top because it contains so many helpful links?

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Written by: ducky2108

No. But if everyone got their way, and people always found exactly what they were looking for, you'd just have pages of impenetrable jargon which a novice can't understand.

Surely if everyone always found what they were looking for, that would include the novices too?

If we had threads that everyone could find easily, peruse at their own leisure and understand, wouldn't that be better than someone starting a 'HELP - I don't understand the 3 beat weave but I havn't even looked for previously posted advice' thread every month or so?

Bearing in mind that every one of those threads contains keywords that the search engine picks up.
Every extra thread that the search engine picks up means that it's just a bit harder to sift through all the unhelpful posts when you're trying to find something.
The harder it gets to find something, the more people start posting threads asking for help that's already been extensively documented.
Isn't it a worthwhile aim to cut this circle out and try to create resources that let people do their own research, only posting if they have a question that really hasn't been asked before?

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Written by: shen shui

does durbs even exist?
(rhetorical)

See!
I go away for 3 months and look what happens! frown

wink

Glad to see I've left a legacy of sorts here though ubblol

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
ok, after seeing yet another "how do i do a three beat weave" thread pop up i really think there should be a page come up when you go to start a new thread that asks if you've done a search first.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
small thing.. I have noticed that often when searching, I get the "server is too busy" page even though I search for specific things.
Any ideas why this might be Mr or Mrs nearest moderator?

confused

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
because it doesnt like us, it happens to me all the time too, usually you just wait a while (like it says) and it'll work later, but sometimes its a poo and just wont work.

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
 Written by: UnderControlOrFailure

small thing.. I have noticed that often when searching, I get the "server is too busy" page even though I search for specific things.
Any ideas why this might be Mr or Mrs nearest moderator?

confused

still happning for me frown

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
i generally find i have to pick a particular forum or it won't work.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

splinterificGOLD Member
enthusiast
248 posts

Posted:
when i first came looking for poi help about 15months ago i stumbled across this site and i instantly got scared off by the "do a search" responses that i say all around the forum. i do agree (from being a mod on a few other forums) that constant threads asking the same questions are irrating but they are your best clientel smile (sp)

i think its being answered better on the forums as of late though smile

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
HAhahah...

Doing a Durbs.

Back when he actually cared smile

Ahh... the smut. The Innuendo... the false hope

biggrin

Getting to the other side smile

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
ubblol don't worry (too much) hug we're here to help wink

Strange enough I hardly ever get the busy signal when searching... umm maybe it's the country you search from.... naaaaa...

Mod's?

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Page: