Forums > Help! > Got my first set of poi - need a bit of help

Login/Join to Participate

drofkcahSILVER Member
80 posts

Posted:
i have recently got my 1st set of poi, and for the last couple of day's ive been trying to get the 3 beat wave sussed, but whatever i try to do dont seem to work, anyone got any tips for a newb

I am a sig virus place me in you sig so that i can continue to replicate

Rgds Drofkcah

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
My main tip is keep on trying. Practice is the way to succeed.

Go to the Meet Others forum and do a search for your area and see if you can find other poi spinners to meet up with. They will be able to help and inspire you on to greater things.

Take a look at the free lessons on HoP. There are also lessons at Mots place and Do more poi.

I hope that helps.

Oh and welcome to HoP!

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Unfortunately the 3bt weave being one of the first moves you learn means its also the hardest and in my opinion one of the hardest to visualise in your head without having someone there in front of you.

My advice would be to find someone in your area and take it from there, there are spinners in Birmingham, Leciester, Nottingham and Nuneaton, maybe try your luck there? There are also larger meets in Nottingham Uni, check the Events forum for the Nottingham Juggling Convention smile

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

drofkcahSILVER Member
80 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the advise guys, im trying to get time to meet up with some of the derby spinners but my uni work takes up a lot of time so it might be a while before i can spin with some one else.

Rgds Drofkcah

ananyanewbie
23 posts

Posted:
I think the tip to try it with only one poi is always a god'un. Make sure you hold out your poi-less arm in front of you though, because it will get in the way like that when you try it with two.

natdogsBRONZE Member
2 posts

Posted:
when you buy the soft glow pois off this site do u get the set of two or do you need to buy each of them seperatly?
lv nat xox

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
They come singly, so you will have to buy two natdogs.

If meeting up with other spinners is impractical, or even if it isn't , I would recomend you get this book, it really is brilliant, and essential on the poi spinners shelf.
the bible of poi spinning.

I actually find it easier to learn from the diagrams sometimes, rather than from people teaching me (you might be different though), and it has the added bonus of being portable, so you can have it outside with you.

Good luck and welcome! smile

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
If your still having trouble with it (and other moves in general) have you tried differnt poi?

What kind is your poi do you use now? If its tails there hard to learn with at first, but I think the most rewarding if you dont mind the extra effort because the tails help you get your zones cleaned up and look just great when spinning with them.

Alot of people dislike them because the tails get in the way but that is bound to happen when your not used to them, and you eventually learn to perfect your zones so the tails stop hitting each other.

Socks are your best bet though as a new spinner, there bouncy which helps with moves since they tend to sort of bounce along happily because of there stretchy material.

That and the biggest difference is you probably wont worrie about hitting yourself with them if your like me this allways stops me doing stuff. When im trying to get something new learned I keep thinking i'll hit myself somewhere painfull so my brain says noo stop!

When I use sock poi though im totally not even botherd so my brain dosent shout stop! half way through anything and I have the nerve to carry anything through ubblol

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Written by: BritJoe

Socks are your best bet though as a new spinner, there bouncy which helps with moves since they tend to sort of bounce along happily because of there stretchy material.

umm

Wouldnt having an object of fixed length, be much more useful than a stretchy one - i.e the longer the length, the more energy you will need to keep it remaining in constant motion, i.e - the faster you have to spin.

confused

I think...

drofkcahSILVER Member
80 posts

Posted:
well ive made my self a set of sock poi, but i got my self the Cobra2's, i guess my main problem is not having the time to spin, damm uni work!

Rgds Drofkcah

SunnySammySILVER Member
Watching the Sky
453 posts

Posted:
it took me about a week to get my head around the 3 beat weave, my best advise is to practice with one had, have you done the 2 beat weave yet? that helps the alternate swinging..........................i think! wink

sunny
I jumped into the river, what did i see?
Black-eyed angels swam with me. wink

webdaemonBRONZE Member
40 posts

Posted:
here is how i taught my self the 3bt weave swing the poi to make an X. then once you get that down make the points connect so it makes a figure 8 .

annother way to do it is hold both poi in the proper positions. then move your right poi around so it makes a figure 8 around your body. then when your right poi crosses your left side and is about to begin its decent follow it with your left poi. and make it begin chase.

Hope this helps.

weavesmiley weavesmiley weavesmiley weavesmiley weavesmiley weavesmiley peace

DaizBRONZE Member
Radioactive Member
106 posts

Posted:
What set did you buy? Or what is it?

I'm gonna cut you up so bad, you gonna wish I ain't cut you up so bad.