Forums > Social Discussion > "Big Brother" is alive and well in America

Login/Join to Participate

Str8JakitDealing in Perception & Probability
135 posts

Posted:
This just doesn't seem like it the land of the free anymore.....
read this, and let me know what you think

https://www.cnn.com/2006/EDUCATION/01/18/professors.targeted.ap/index.html

Legal and illegal are a point of view. All that matters is morality.

If there's a shadow in your life, then there is also sunshine. Perception is everything.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
"Anymore"?

What history books you been reading?

I was offended that it was UCLA but then realized it was targeted BECAUSE it is liberal.

Now I really gotta donate more to my alma matter.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
I think you mean that "little brother" is alive and well...

So students are rebelling against the elite power structure and indoctrination efforts of their university. The "liberal" professors were probably doing the same sort of thing when they were students (only with less technology).

20 years can make an anti-establishment liberal into an establishment conservative without changing positions on anything. The political positions are a red herring. This is about power structures in American Academics.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
"Students rebelling against the elite power structure"?

Did I read a different article?

It didn't mention anything about the student reactions at all.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Well there's a fine line. Lecturers who use their classes as forums to express their political beliefs are wrong. But stopping someone expressing their opinion is worse.

If they are spending entire classes ranting against G.W. Bush then they deserve to lose their jobs because they're obviously not doing them very well.

However if they are teaching politics and express their beliefs and arguments against Bush in a rational debate, then they should be allowed to do so. Students should debate with lecturers, not take their word as law.

And the thread title is misleading... Big Brother is more along the lines of "Department stores can put concealed cameras in their changing rooms, and never tell you about it. Office workers can also have their phones tapped without their knowledge and consent." Both of those facts are true.

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
i dont know, it is a bit like "the spies" from big brother, getting the young to spy on the old, keep them in check.

i dont think there was ever such a thing as "the land of the free" anywhere, ever.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
ive only read the first half and i dont want to read the rest of this!!!

i agree that schools arent the place to express political views, but at the same time it will only cause paranoia.

however a good point has been raised to me:

would you care if it was the other way around and they were outing the right-wingers??
EDITED_BY: Rouge Dragon (1137662044)

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

135 posts

Posted:
Written by: Sethis

"Department stores can put concealed cameras in their changing rooms, and never tell you about it.

no they can't. they can place them at the entrance of the changing rooms, but can not have ANY visability of the inside of the room itself.

now back on to my point. you all see were this is heading. and yes NYC i have noticed it for years as well. let me ask you something NY....do they have eminent domain law up there? if not, or for those that are not familiar with it, eminent domain gives the city/county/state the right to come in, and buy you out of your land, whether you want to go or not. now they normaly make you an offer of twice the apprasied value. that's not bad if you live in an upscale part of town, and your proerty is worth seious money, but that's not the land they are trying to develope. they are buying out the poor families. paying out an average of $50,000 per property, only to deveople it into $160,000+ condo units.

now yes $50,000 is alot of money. but when you take into consideration the amount of money the develpoers, and the county make, it's pennies. figure they make a building with 150 units in it. multiply that by the average price for condos; come out to $24,000,000. now i am useing the nums from my area. considering it costs more to live in New York, it's safe to say there would be a big diff in the nums.

so sethis, maybe i shold have titled this thread diff, but i didn't. wink

If there's a shadow in your life, then there is also sunshine. Perception is everything.

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
You want to talk big brother, stop reading CNN! Seriously man, people round here watch CNN to have a good old laugh at how simplistic and sensationalist the American media is!

Otherwise, yeah, that is a horrible story... doesn't altogether surprise me though, since 9/11 the US has virtually been under martial law, or so it seems. Freedom of speech doesn't mean much in the USA anymore.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
so um, yeah, my school had a terrorist threat/bomb threat scare yesterday; go us wink

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: nearly_all_gone

You want to talk big brother, stop reading CNN! Seriously man, people round here watch CNN to have a good old laugh at how simplistic and sensationalist the American media is!

Sadly, CNN is one of the most complicated and least sensational of the American media sources.

Fox has 'news programs' about why you should watch other Fox programming.

"The war in Iraq, but first, what's Simon up to on the next American Idol!..."

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
lol, how sad. there are actually news programs simply to promote other news programs?

although considering only two people own most of australian media (print and tele) i doubt its any better here, maybe just a bit less obvious.

thank heavens for ABC (australian broadcasting corp), owned by the people, funded by the government, smiting the government at every turn. wink oh and sbs, as an off shoot of abc is pretty cool too.

Pen DravenUnofficial Lord Of Confusion And Pirate Extrodinaire
1,363 posts

Posted:
I like this story https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4630694.stm

About the us Gov wanting Google to turn over a list of all the things people search for,, very nice

Some men see things and say why....

I Dream of things that never were and say Why Not....?

Oh No I'm going to get Shot Alive if he finds out - DA wink

135 posts

Posted:
Written by: nearly_all_gone

Seriously man, people round here watch CNN to have a good old laugh at how simplistic and sensationalist the American media is!

um ok confused

i like CNN it' s. better than most of the media i can get my hands on (so to speak) also i watch CNN to find out where my roommate is going to be deployed to next.
i'll agree it is simplistic and sensationalist, but unfortunalty that's the way my country is heading with a D student in the white house.......

Freedom of speech doesn't mean much in the USA anymore. bingo......so any room in the UK?

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
honestly, CNNNN is the only non-stop news network worth watching, ever. (yes this one does have four n's)

i suggest people move to australia so they can fully apreciate its beauty wink

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
Mr Majestik: That's true, but isn't he dead now?

And would ownership REALLY matter? could one person really read all the papers and watch all the tv s/he owns to make sure nothing subversive's going on?

I doubt it...

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
what if the owner IS subverse?

and yes he died, but his prodigy has taken over