Page:
ultraRAVINGvioletnewbie
16 posts

Posted:
Yes, i know taken at face value its a just a piece of candy coated, manufatured pop rubbish - that they probably didnt even write themselves, but when you actually bother to listen to it and take notice of the lyrics it has got to be one of the most inspiring songs to have been released in a very long time.

i mean, i've spent all my life being dissatisfied with myself, seeing the bad rather than the good - but i heard that song while i was out the other day and as stupid as it sounds it almost reduced me to tears. i stood and thought, really what makes me any more ugly than anybody else and who has the right to call anyone else ugly and make them feel inadequate. looks are skin deep but i guess ultimately beauty runs so much deeper - i found people can be beautiful in so many ways without having super model looks.

as much as the sugababes really arent my thing that song really has made me think so much - and question why i'm always so down on myself.

anyway, sorry to run on but i felt the need to share that with someone/anyone simply because it touched me so much. i hope noone minded.

"We got loud guitars and big suspicions,
Great big guns and small ambitions,
And we still argue over who is god"

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
rolleyes

Talking of skin deep, here was me thinking this would be a thread about whether they were fit or not. wink

Useful link for those who don't know the words

smile

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
Y'know what I like best about the song? The video. There's some back to back pass juggling involved.

Willy - is bad for your health...

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
i wouldnt call them ugly....as such, only one of them is a bit paperbag-ish and she's leaving tongue haha just kidding

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
no one minds....ignore the p1ss takers!

I've been touched by songs before, I think no matter who the song is sung by or what form of music it is, if it says something that helps you to understand yourself or the world better it's a good thing smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
hey I've got Christina Agulera on my MP3 player its the song Beautiful, and i really like it, its such an uplifting song, and i was quite a social outcast at school so it makes me feel better

ultraRAVINGvioletnewbie
16 posts

Posted:
i find i get totally lost in music - i try to link the lyrics into different aspects of my own life and own emotions - bands like the manics have helped me to understand and cope with some dreadful times in my life.

and when i split up with my partner of 4yrs the song that really helped me cope was Alanis - You Oughta Know esp the lyric "and everytime i scratch my mails down someone elses back i hope you feel it, well can you feel it?"

it amazes me how sometimes one song or one lyric can really help you to understand a situation - and i guess make you feel like your not on your own.

(sorry if this is all a bit kinda deep)

ChickpeaSILVER Member
mostly a muppet in need of distraction...
305 posts

Posted:
On that note i was talking to my ex, just before we got back together (shorrtly before we broke up again) and in that honest way he was telling me about a one-night stand he'd had whilst we were apart -being a man he took it a step too far complaining that she had long nails and scratched hell out of his back. ever since i can't get those alanis lines out of my head when i think about him.
can't even listen to alanis at the moment - Git!
B x

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

ultraRAVINGvioletnewbie
16 posts

Posted:
Oh no!! i am SO sorry!!!

Actually, one thing i will say there - you say you split up then got back together?? i always said i'd go back to my ex but as a girl i work with said - you split up for a reason and you should never try to go back, because the break up the second time will be so much worse - which i think in reality is very true.

tillymoomember
107 posts

Posted:
Written by: This_Girl_Is_Taking_Bets

it amazes me how sometimes one song or one lyric can really help you to understand a situation - and i guess make you feel like your not on your own.

(sorry if this is all a bit kinda deep)

it is also amazing when, after listening to a song for years, knowing the words but not really thinking about, suddenly their meaning becomes clear and appropriate to your current situation. i have been finding that a bit, recently - there is a line in Missy Higgins 'Scar' "he tried to blunt me so i'd fit" which pretty accuratly describes my last relationship and exactly what i don't want in my next.

"A Thnead's a fine thing that all people need"
Dr Suess

ultraRAVINGvioletnewbie
16 posts

Posted:
music makes me think so much - sometimes i just put lyricless dance music on just so i can clear my mind.

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Erm... probably classed as "Flame bait" but if I was to pick a band with deep, inspiring lyrics that I could relate to... it really wouldn't be sugerbabes... at all. I mean, aren't they identical to Nsync, Girls Aloud and all the other random barbie dolls girl bands out there?

I'm also increasing bored by the constant singing about sex, especially in bands that target 11-15 year olds. Black Eyed Peas "My Humps" as case in point.

Written by: sing365

You love my lady lumps,
My hump, my hump, my hump,
My humps they got u,
She’s got me spending.
(Oooo) Spendin’ all your money on me and spendin' time on me.
She’s got me spendin’.
(Oooo) Spendin’ all your money on me,(uh) on me, on me

What you gonna do with all that junk?
All that junk inside that trunk?
I’m a get, get, get, get, you drunk,
Get you love drunk off my hump.
What u gon’ do with all that ass?
All that ass inside them jeans?
I’m a make, make, make, make you scream
Make u scream, make you scream.
Cause of my hump, my hump, my hump, my hump.
My hump, my hump, my hump, my lovely lady lumps, check it out!

It's coming close to advocating prostitution. "You buy me stuff, I'll sleep with you". Wow. Great attitude. I don't care much about the language used (I knew all the bad words by the time I was about 7 in school so...) but it's the message that gets me angry.

Oh, and watch an hour of music videos, and I bet you see maybe 2 vids that don't involve semi-naked women. What's the point? I mean, what does it add to the song? It's BORING, so get a grip.

I'm off to listen to Simon + Garfunkel rolleyes...

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
Written by: Vampyricacid

hey I've got Christina Agulera on my MP3 player its the song Beautiful, and i really like it, its such an uplifting song

I know exactly what you mean, those lyrics... hit home every time... love christina, she makes me wanna boogie.. smile

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
proud user of simon+garfunkel vinal wink

theres a sydney based band called 'access denied' that did a really cool cover of beautiful by christina, instead of it being soft they make it forceful, which is like they are telling you that 'you are beautiful' to the point where they're frustrated you dont already see it.

Sethis i totally agree with you, everybody loves to sing about prostitution................or NOT. the problem is the entire music industry. thats right INDUSTRY, a function of profit. like the old adage goes "sex sells".(which is why i'm not sure if i should try to like everything or hate everything) and now the only way people believe they are successful musicians is to sign to a major record label that only wants you so you can make them money, the entire point of music has been overtaken by profits.

arg *stabs music industry*

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Now - I'm not afraid to say that I liked some of the earlier stuff that the Sugababes did. But my sister has the new album and it really is a load of balls..

I don't like the song at all, the tune sounds like the chorus sould ryhme, but it dosnt - and that really bugs me! ubblol

As for the Black Eyes Peas...I have a love hate relationship with them. Whilst I despise their songs - they subconsiously make the 'junk in my trunk' wiggle..

Hurrah for Simon and Garfunkle ubblove
EDITED_BY: *Aimée* (1137657296)

_FSA_now comes with skydiving license
1,627 posts

Posted:
some lyrics really do hit home to me. none that i can name on the spot but at times i find lyrics that reflect exactly how im feeling at that time.
music is my means of therapy! if im p*ssed off, ill go and listen to p*ssed off music. if im happy, ill go and listen to happy music. ect. it seems to help if im sad to listen to sad music to. some people think that it just makes you worse but it helps for me smile

some music just annoys me, the pointless songs about pointless things for instance. and video clips that contain nothing but half naked women. i mean WAKE UP PEOPLE that is NOT original and NOT meaningful and NOT motivating to watch music videos ever again!!. . . .*cough* right, well. *ends rant*

Proudly owned by the very cute Pineapple Pete. Owner of Noddy. Joint owner of Mr Majestik.

10,530 posts

Posted:
Written by: *Aimée*

Never have you said such a more true thing. biggrin ubblove

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
Written by: Fine_Rabid_Dog

Written by: *Aimée*

Never have you said such a more true thing. biggrin ubblove

i'd rather b a hammer than a nail

I'm normally the nail but soon i'll be the hammer!

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
I don't know if this is true fo the rest of you, but songs kind of mark points in my life, and Three Doors Down - Be Like That was one of them, another one that describes me perfectly with the first few lines is Counting Crows - Round Here
"STEP OUT THE FRONT DOOR LIKE A GHOST INTO THE FOG
WHERE NO-ONE NOTICES THE CONTRAST OF WHITE ON WHITE"

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
A song that i find helps me mood is Jimmy Eat World's "In the Middle"

Hey, don't write yourself off yet.
It's only in your head you feel left out or
looked down on.
Just try your best, try everything you can.
And don't you worry what they tell themselves when you're away.

It just takes some time, little girl you're in the middle, it'll up the ride.
Everything will be just fine, everything will be allright.

Hey, you know they're all the same.
You know you're doing better on your own, so don't buy in.
Live right now.
Yeah, just be yourself.
It doesn't matter if it's good enough for someone else.

It just takes some time, little girl you're in the middle of the ride.

Hey, don't write yourself off yet.
It's only in your head you feel left out or
looked down on.
Just do your best, do everything you can.
And don't you worry what the bitter hearts are gonna say.

Everything will be just fine, everything will be allright

that song got me thorugh some really hard times.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Haha this reminds me of a thread on another forum I go too. They keep coming up with threads about how a song fits them or there charecter online (its a gaming forum) and really its all just teenagers choosing random songs that dont relate to them in any way at all, they just think the song is cool, therefor it fits with them lol

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

10,530 posts

Posted:
Written by: TinklePants

I'm normally the nail but soon i'll be the hammer!

I'm fairly certain S and G used vowels. rolleyes wink

ultraRAVINGvioletnewbie
16 posts

Posted:
this might sound daft but i sometimes when somethings happened and i feel alone or alienated i'll put on specific songs and it'll make me feel like maybe i'm not so alone after all.

steaksSILVER Member
former manc tour guide
1,909 posts

Posted:
I hear what people are saying about the Sugarbabes song and the Christina song, I like both of them.

And Sethis you are totaly right about the music industry. it has been on a steady spiral downwards for about 15 years, but the incline has sharpened in the last 4-5 years (for the worse)
The Black Eyed Peas (in my opinion) were much better before Fergie joined the band, when they had their female, non-guest vocalist vocals done by a woman called Kim Hill, but she didnt want anything to do with the 3rd album so they enlisted Fergie to take her place.
(Anyone who is intereded, their 4 albums are, in order of release; Behind The Front, Bridging The Gap, Elephunk, Monkey Business)

And TGITB, I do the same, but its the music that makes the difference to me, not the lyrics

Owned by the lovely SNOOPoi
Owner of Clarence_Quack

ultraRAVINGvioletnewbie
16 posts

Posted:
you need the music to compliment the lyrics and the lyrics to compliment the music - i guess its a song as a whole that make the different.

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Written by: This_Girl_Is_Taking_Bets

you need the music to compliment the lyrics and the lyrics to compliment the music - i guess its a song as a whole that make the different.

Tell that to Dance music "Composers". umm ubblol

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Ive never thought Mutya was ugly, to be honest at least shes not Hiedi, a carbon copy of allmost EVERY other tv blonde. Tv blondes are so....bleh! They all look the same dont they.

(Note I said tv blondes as in the ones you see in tv, so dont bite my head off Elaine or anyone hehe)

I reackon Mutyas the best looking one in it now, that girl who was in it at first (the one Hiedi replaced) was the best looking tho.

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

10,530 posts

Posted:
Hiedi is fit. Teenage boys now these things. She is. Really. biggrin

As for songs and stuff, I was listing to me ol' MP3 player, and Eminem came on. The lyrics went: "I act like sh!t don't phase me, inside it drives me crazy, my insecurities could eat me alive"

I certainly feel that way sometimes. I try to be laid back and stuff, but I kind of bottle things up, and can vent in really violent ways. Scary stuff.

steaksSILVER Member
former manc tour guide
1,909 posts

Posted:
I agree with you Joe on both Heidi and Siobhan Doherty (the one that left) was the best looking one. I prefer Kiesha over Mutya though

and TGITB it is the whole package that makes the song, but i rarely focus on what the lyrics of a song actually are, if they sound good, then they are ok. (to me)

Owned by the lovely SNOOPoi
Owner of Clarence_Quack

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
I bet shes kicking herself now lol

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
hey TGITS, the reason i like dance/trance/house/dub is exactly acredited to what sethis quoted. music is often only the backing to the lyrics, as people tend to frist relate to the human voice they hear talking to them, which alsoleads them in their train of thought. I Find that d/t/h/d music is purely sounds which leaves your mind free to think what it likes and openly interprate what it hears.

for instance its hardly possibly to have spice girls playing at a funeral (not talking literally wink ), because generally their music is considered happy/lovey/stuff, as reflected by their lyrics. whereas some drum and bass may be interprated by some as dark, thought provoking, inciting action, happy, methodical, remind you of that party, spiritual. without lyrics there is more potential for personal connections to the song that are specific to individuals.

btw, ever heard of Faithless? awesom group from the UK, although they have lyrics in most of their songs i find that their music is powerful enough without need for lyircs. check it out!

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Page: