Page:
jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
I am about to start my final major project, and i have decided to keep it simple and base it on the word COMFORT.

What are your TOP TEN things, small or big, that make you feel COMFORTABLE ?

Mine are in no particular order,

Family boyfriend and friends ubblove

A cup of tea ubblove

A warm shower or bath ubblove

A warm meal ubblove

Anything warm ubblove

Nice smells like lavender ubblove

not being in too much debt ubblove

A warm hug ubblove

Chocolate ubblove

Music ubblove

POI ! and HOP ubblove

Smiles and Laughter ubblove

Cocoa of Horlicks ubblove

A comfy chair ubblove

A comfy warm bed ubblove

Music ubblove

Sorry that was more than ten. Make it top 10-20 things ubblol

"Thank you people, I see a lot of people have similar comforts, and they are quite small things, but big in terms of the happinness they bring"

I was just wondering if we are in constant need of comfort, and whether we replace them with something else if we don't have them. For example if there is no tea bags left, would you top up your 'comf' (simian 2005) with chocolate?

I think this is the case with me, otherwise I feel empty and somethimes anxiouse

Oh I'd like to make clear the nature of this thread, any not make it come across as a game thread, I want to have a disscussion here about your ideas on comfort/s. But thats not to stop a list, just would like some more thaught put into your opinions and experiences smile

Most people would emmediatly have a very posotive feeling thinking about what comforts them, but I was thinking about how some feel like rewards, and some feel like a thing to numb some form of pain or dis comfort. Then I was wondering about the reward system of things like alcohol, and is it really a reward if your gradually melting your liver willingly? (I was reminded of this thaught when I heard the name of a drink called 'liver massage', er yum?)

As you can guess I dont really find comfot in drinking alcohol anymore

EDITED_BY: jemima (jem) (1138046750)

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
1) My guitar
2) Friends
3) My housemate Katie
4) Bed
5) A nice hot cup of tea and a marmite and cheese toastie
6) The St Andrews union
7) My laptop
8) A nice hot bath
9) Random MSN conversations
10) Learning something new and different (not necessarily to do with spinning)

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Hmmm... So many things put a smile on my face... But here are some of them, Some are moe important than others...

1) A ball. or four...
2) someone to cuddle and share special things with (my girly)
3) Warm, calm, quiet, clear summer nights, where you can look at the stars for hours...
4)Teaching people new things
5) Making people Smile and laugh
6) Weird dreams that make perfect sense at the time, but when you look back at them you think WTF?
7)Camp fires
8) doing nothing and thinking about nothing but my surroundings (when outside)
9) concentrating on nothing but breathing (in through nose, out through mouth. slow...)
10) Learning something new
11) solitude and silence
12) Being with loved ones and friends

There are loads more, but I'd be here forever...

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

ChickpeaSILVER Member
mostly a muppet in need of distraction...
305 posts

Posted:
In no particular order
1)my friends
2)my family
3)music - in any shape or form - but mainly my mp3 player
4)My bed
5)Sitting on a beach
6)my poi - perfectly made for me to practise and chill with
7)that warmly lit, xmas tree mood when its snowing or frosty outside
8) Someone playing with my hair
9) A proper decent hug
10) that feeling when you get off the water in winter and change into something warm with a cup of tea - when everyone else is still cold coz they didnt get changed fast enough. (its a paddling thing!)
B x

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Written by: jemima (jem)

Oh I'd like to alter the nature of this thread, any not make it come across as a game thread, I want to have a disscussion here about your ideas on comfort/s.

Most people would emmediatly have a very posotive feeling thinking about what comforts them, but I was thinking about how some feel like rewards, and some feel like a thing to numb some form of pain or dis comfort. Then I was wondering about the reward system of things like alcohol, and is it really a reward if your gradually melting your liver willingly? (I was reminded of this thaught when I heard the name of a drink called 'liver massage', er yum?)
As you can guess I dont really find comfot in drinking alcohol anymore rolleyes

Um yeah, any thaughts?

I'm begining to think people don't bother to actually read anything past the first 2 or maybe 3 entries in a thread. In some cases they don't get past the first 2 lines rolleyes

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
I think you're right skully.

I think the best comfort for me is a really amazing swim. Not because it's comfortable right off, a really hard swim hurts quite a bit, but after it's all over and you're soar and tired... it's the best feeling of euporia knowing you've done something really amazing. It's a long term comfort, not something immediate and there's nothing really like it.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
*raises hand to Skully*

Guilty!

for me, the ball is definately number one. And always will be.

Well, I find that nowadays, I need to have a ball on me. It's such a comfort thing, that I feel really awkward or nervous knowing that I don't have a ball on me... Some would say this is unhealthy, and an addiction, but hey, it's one that ain't gonna kill me! smile but seriously, if I'm feeling worried, or insecure, the ball will always calm me down. I suppose I've just replaced smoking with CJ...

I get stuck in awkward silences a bit, so the ball stops that. I hate people staring at me weirdly, for no reason. So, I bring out the ball, make sure they have something to stare at. I hide behind the ball a lot.

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
Written by: Skulduggery

Written by: jemima (jem)

Oh I'd like to alter the nature of this thread, any not make it come across as a game thread, I want to have a disscussion here about your ideas on comfort/s.

As you can guess I dont really find comfot in drinking alcohol anymore rolleyes

Um yeah, any thaughts?

I'm begining to think people don't bother to actually read anything past the first 2 or maybe 3 entries in a thread. In some cases they don't get past the first 2 lines rolleyes

rolleyes I don't know,its not that long a thread either ubblol

Anyway, think I might do a questionnaire, similar to this thread at uni, and use this 'research' in my final outcome (some sort of informative, comment through the medium of a website, on my personal thoughts and other peoples thoughts on comfort) umm

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Cut and paste the text bit that you put about wanting more of a discussion than just lists of comforting things into your first post Jem. You might get more than just lists in here then hug

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

kileynewbie
6 posts

Posted:
What a lovely thread. Here are my top ten in no particular order.

1) My cat Lucy (pretty sketchy cat).
2) Loose leaf tea.
3) Chocolate.
4) Sleeping with my handsome man Leo.
5) Hugs (really good ones that swallow me up - I'm pretty tiny).
6) Good relaxing music like Sigur Ros.
7) Cardigans/Sweaters.
8) Singing really loud.
9) Cross stitching a beautiful pattern.
10) Sitting on my steps at 2 am drinking whiskey and doing poi.

Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
I will post up my learning agreement for my project very soon, maybe this will explain my reasons for this post far better but its pretty rambling ubblol

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
Just an update here, my learning agreement is too long to post here. If anyone is interested, the gist of my project is:

I am illustrating a book of suggestions for comfort, in other words things to do to combat stress, anxiety etc

I will be using the theme of 'comfort fairies', and they will be displayed in a book, targeted at young women

I will also use the images to place on products, like stationary badges, bags etc, and display them on a website

p.s does anyone know who this illustration is by?

clickety clickety
EDITED_BY: jemima (jem) (1142022601)

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

Jozinewbie
5 posts

Posted:
Hm...

1.Clouds casting shadows on the ground
2.Watching my catfish make kissy faces as the tank XD
3. Getting a drawing with a perfect line.
4. Running through big fields.
5. Being by myself (I don't feel comfortable with people)
6. Hot chocolate
7. Pictures stuck up on the walls.
8. Cutting stuff out of magazines
9. Two-hour long hot baths biggrin
10. Watching the sea..when there's nobody around. By that I mean no flashers. XDD

Page: