Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Help with a special kind of Contact

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Calling all contact staffers, i need some help, and this is not actually about contact staffing but probably the best place I could post this.

As some of you know I do Bar flairing (for those who dont its the whole cocktail bottle spinning etc) and I've been trying to work on some new moves that are a bit different and I can do a small amount of contact staff so I thought I'd try and incorporate a few moves from the whole poi/staff side of things, including managing to do flowers with 2 bottles biggrin, but anyway, I would like to know peoples opinion on if its possible and therefore worth me devoting my time to trying to learn some contact moves, mainly halo rolls and the likes using a Galliano bottle.

Non-Https Image Link

Obviously I can have it empty or full or half full or whatever, was just curious if you brainier people thought something good could come out of experimenting with it, so I thought I'd ask the pro's biggrin.

The actual galliano bottle is almost about 2 foot long so its quite long (for a bottle) however I'm not sure if it's going to be too short, also the sloping curve of the glass may not help.

Any feedback and advice would be greatly appreciated

hug

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
i'd imagine a halo roll would be possible with the thick end up.

Obviously Palm spins come up, horizontal palm spin around behind your back and back up to over head. You might even be able to pull off a Steve, though i dunno bout that.

oh and i'm sure you could hook up some nice propeller to arm/forearm roll combos with that bottle.

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

jcrsGOLD Member
the floor is a sea of tigers...
404 posts

Posted:
hrmmm... maybe i should go finish up my bottle of black sambuca so that I can try it out for myself :P heheh

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
the liquid inside is gonna slosh around, affecting its momentum, and make it act in a much stranger and more unpredictable way than a staff.

but yeah, give it a go smile

elbow rolls and suchlike will be good for getting the hang of how it moves, before you start taking it places where you can't see it (eg. behind your head)

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Hey Will great idea biggrin

fishtails should be possible also, however as the monkey rightly said the liquid inside will give you some issues - but its definatley possible.

Put it this way - if you nail contact moves with it - your staffing skills will increase loads! biggrin

Let us know how it goes dude smile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
try searching around for club spinning contact tricks. Clubs are usually about the same size as bottles but much lighter (= harder) and have the same general shape. I've seen lots of contact tricks done with a club. Elbows, fishtails, halo rolls, pivots etc. Belly wraps, and slides down the back and such like. The only ones I can do are hand wraps and back of the hand spins... frown

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
Thanks lots for the feedback. I did imagine that the liquid inside would greatly affect is momentum so it's gonna hvae to be an empty bottle, I need to get a hold of one but the bar I work in doesnt sell as much Galliano, looks like im pushing certain cocktails tonight so I can get an empty bottle.

Thanks Meg for the advice on the club spinning contact tricks, I'll take a look biggrin

I saw a move on one of the grand final competitions that actually look like half a matrix only they call if a boa constrictor wink which I think is just stupid

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
Written by: The Misguided Oracle

hrmmm... maybe i should go finish up my bottle of black sambuca so that I can try it out for myself :P heheh

Which black sambuca do you have? if its the main one thats on sale it'd be Opal Nera Black Sambuca, good luck trying to contact that ubblol but if you do i want to see pictures damnit!

Non-Https Image Link

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I can do a Halo with a club... So it should be quite easy with that bottle...

It can be done with the club either way round, but I find it easier to start with the body of the club away from you, that way it's the handle that goes directly to your hand. because of the weight of the club, at the moment I have to do it quite quickly. Hope this helps smile

Neck wraps are more than do-able with a club, I start by holding the body of the club as I wrap it round my neck. I think constant shoulder spins (ninja Dave style) would look Awesome!!

Fishtails would be easier than with a club, you just need to find the centre point. smile Even a Wrist-elbow-halo-elbow-wrist combination (or whatever that move is called nowadays wink) is more than possible.

If you manage a SNES, You da man!

The weight of the bottle would make it easier to do a half steve with, or even neckwrap to arm roll. Easier than my light Flowerstick, anyways...

Oooh, and you know that club move where they roll the club over their head? try that one...

Good luck, dude!! Although, you got me thinking about contact ball moves with it as well, now... Chest roll, Elbow stalls to jumps/hops... Foot catches?

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

{anthrax}BRONZE Member
Look I've changed my title!
209 posts

Posted:
With a bottle, you could have some really cool stalls were the bottle stops, but due to the momentum of the liquid inside, when you release it, it carries on spinning biggrin

anthrax.... it infects, then spreads..... fast

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
When I read the title of the thread I thought you were asking about balencing your contact ball on your manhood..

Now if that was the case, I definatly want pictures ubblol

Anyhoo..
Anything is possible if you try hard enough smile
I think it would look ace

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
i recon shoulder rolls would look pretty cool with a bottle with some liquid in it. you could do that stall spring thing over your shoulder and try and catch it on the back of your hand or something.
that would look ace. wink

"Don't do it naked!"

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
if anyone can fishtail a half empty bottle of galliano for 5 beats i will buy a wig, walk, talk and dress like meg for a week, conditions apply

*fine print*
1. video proof must be produced
2. bottle must be held on without tape or other support .... yes 2bags this is directed at you

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
but T&B can already fishtail a club, on his left hand for at least that long, last time I saw him.

All he has to do now is drink half a bottle of galliano.

I think you're stuck in a boat headed towards a waterfall with just a mop headed wig for company... biggrin

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
hmm, i agree with ben. The sticking point is the half-fullness of the bottle. Doing fishtails with a club is one thing. Doing them with a club that has a load of liquid slooshing about in it, constantly making the lower end far heavier than the higher end, is an entirely different stove of otters.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
the sloshing works for some things thou. Like balances where you spin the bottle to catch in on the back of your hand. Once you've worked out how the sloshing affects the spin in the air, it really helps the catch on the back of the hand, a the slosh basically sticks it to your hand. (As the bottle comes to land on your hand the slosh comes down to hit the bottom like a secondry... thing.)

I'm not sure how sloash would affect fishtails, but for sure the hardest thing about them with clubs is that it's so light, and hard to feel the fishtail. (as well as short and weird shaped)

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
AAh the sloshing, well Im pretty good at working out how the sloshing affects the bottles motions, throwing over my shoulder adn stalling it on the back of my hand is easy, I can also do it over shoulder stall on elbow and stall on shoulder, its easier if its more empty than full due to the weight being at the bottom meaning the bottle stands up easier

dm33186newbie
5 posts

Posted:
Not really a "contact" move exactly but maybe learn club swinging snakes, they look great when done well but they are hard and can hurt to learn (uses muscles you never knew you had).

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
I can do snakes no prob, and they kind of work in a flair bar, it goes well like when i do flowers using bottles

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
If you want to avoid the sloshing then you could always fill it right up to the brim... giving it the extra weight of the liquid without the slosh effect.

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
That is an awful lot of weight, I dont think it would be possionle, Galliano glass is very thick so the bottle alone is quite heavy, full up it would be near impossible

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
Written by: mcp

but T&B can already fishtail a club, on his left hand for at least that long, last time I saw him.

All he has to do now is drink half a bottle of galliano.

I think you're stuck in a boat headed towards a waterfall with just a mop headed wig for company... biggrin

do I get a brake between drinking and fistailling
biggrin

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
just got 3 beats with a half full 20cm bottel. So Ben will we get a video doctumentry of what it like to be Meg for a week...

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
No, in fact, new challenge, fishtail with one hand, drink with the other and then launch into dual fishtails, before lapsing into unconsciousness and going to hospital. Kind of like a time trial. And then I will pout continuously and go to reenactments for a week.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
"if anyone can fishtail a half empty bottle of galliano for 5 beats i will buy a wig, walk, talk and dress like meg for a week, conditions apply"

"The actual galliano bottle is almost about 2 foot long "
2ft =61cm

and yes ill get lex to video me being meg for a week if you do it ...... lucky me she doesnt wear dresses hey smile

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
unfortunately I don't have many galliano bottles lying about at the moment how about a wine bottle they seem to appear rather alot around here wink

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
**rushes out to buy bottle of galliano **

lex - a pm will follow with proof when ive done it............

I cant miss this chance of tunring Ben into a female Scot for a week!! ubblol

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
dammit! i can fishtail a club for that long.. now. where did i put that galliano bottle....?

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Hmmm...

To make it worse for Ben, Meg should maybe send a photo of herself in a dress, so that he has an example of what meg wears... wink

*awaits Meg's fury*

biggrin

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
the only time meg wears a dress is when shes pretending to dress like laura

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Was I pretending to dress like laura? Or in fact dressing in lauras clothes and pretending to be her? With a wig on. confused ubbloco

Page: