Page:
infinitemember
110 posts

Posted:
https://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons/poi_lessons.php/poi/28

Doesnt this look like a 3 beat butterfly weave, not a 5 beat reverse weave? It could be the angle of view, but this sure isnt in follow time is it?? Im amazed I learned the trick from this video, in reality it appears to be butterfly time but the wrist movements are almost the same???

dont make peoples heads turn, give them whiplash.

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Nope. Guaranteed that is a reverse Five beat. Albeit a badly planed and somewhat forced reverse five beat, but a reverse five beat none-the-less. smile

These video tutorials were filmed a long time ago, when a reverse five beat weave was considered a move of the uber gods. We just all happen to have advanced a lot since then as poi spinners, with the newbies of today having all the hard work in working out how to do moves already done for them. I should know, I'm one of them. smile

Plus the angle of filming is a bit misleading, which makes your Brain believe the poi are going opposite direction. Force yourself to see that they are going same direction (if you know what I mean), and it looks more like a reverse five beat should.

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

MuskelungeGOLD Member
55 posts

Posted:
It may be that whoever was doing this was actually doing the five-beat, but it sure doesn't look like it. There is no way for me to force myself to see both poi going in the same direction. And if they are, then there is a point on the guy's left side where one poi passes the other.
And when he takes them from his left to right side, there is definately a spot where the poi are right next to each other, going opposite directions.
So either way, the video should be replaced with one that actually looks like a five-beat reverse weave, and then another video showing the butterfly weave, to correct the deficit in demonstration of both moves.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
muhahahaha.
Im sure that butterfly weaves hasnt been discovered when that video was made wink

MuskelungeGOLD Member
55 posts

Posted:
So why don't they update the lessons to include newer moves?

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
*agrees with UCOF* That was indeed back in the olden days...

That 'spot' you mean, is more than likely where the .gif is looped. and coming across his body, I think they're simply not perfectly timed, shall I say...

I do agree that the video should be updated, though...

Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Be Water My Friend.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"they"??

and who are "they" exactly?

The wizards? umm

wink

(if you want the video updated, film it how you want it and submit it to info@homeofpoi.com )

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
how do you make gif's
if i knew i would meke one and pass it on to malc

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
*calls out*

Malcolm!!!

Would you like some new, updated footage to put in the free lessons? Some that makes the unclear moves look clearer, and even to add things like tangles, hyperloops, flowers, isolations etc in there? All in their basic forms, of course...

Any sort of criteria needed for submissions? such as length, size etc... Any particular moves you would like in there?

There could be a small competition, where the winner (chosen by Mr. Crawshay) would be immortalized in the free lessons...

Just a thought... That's if you want to edit/update them, of course...

Be Water My Friend.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Dude that's an awesome idea! clap

You should start a thread for it in Chat and see how it goes, or PM Malc direct, he's always good at replying and stuff smile

To behonest the lessons on here do kinda suck, no matter how old they are. And after watching it for the first time at the end of last year.... "The Art of Poi"....is the most ironic title for a poi vid I've ever seen! Both need some serious updating.

Best of all this is an idea that newbies and oldies and non cforum members can all take part in with equal chance of success. It's not about tech or amount of moves, it's about the basics, flow, good camera work and lighting, some editing skills but nothing that can't be done in WMM or other easy to use editing programs

Well done Ed! hug

Let's relight this forum ubblove

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
This has been discussed before. Do a search. tongue

My understanding is that there are specific philisopical reasons why this has not been done.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
i think it's nice that the hop lessons don't create unrealistic expectations about what a beginner would be able to achieve, and the information is freely available elsewhere.

but it would be nice to change the one this thread is about. i have no idea what that dude is doing, but it ain't reverse five beat.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I think it might be.

The video is so bad and the planes are so awkward that it actually looks like about 10 other things. But if you force yourself to see the wicks as going in the right direction I think it's a 5 beat rev weave.

At first, due to the slow frame rate, it looked butterflyish but if you think reverse 5 beat thoughts while looking at it I think it might be.

Strange optical illusion to make it look BFish.

But I'm not willing to armwrestle anyone who disagrees.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
ain't nothin' new... ubbrollsmile

i agree with nyc, but don't tell anyone.

its a 5 bt rev weave with very, very messy planes.

no offense but imho it is completely useless as an example of the move and cannot possibly help someone trying to learn it.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
i think that video should be left as it is... we all seem to have learnt the move okay, and it is a legend in its own right.. i defiently remember the mental torture... ubbloco

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: coleman

i agree with nyc, but don't tell anyone.

I feel all funny.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
ya look funny....

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
yay! *goes to get a camera* What am I good at? ummm 3-7 beat weaves and 2-6 beat corkscrews I spose...

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Yey Malcs! A day off but you're still here surfing the Forum eh wink ubblol hug

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
having said all that this is quite good
https://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons/poi_lessons.php/poi/27

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
All the way up to 21 are good

bad (to short not very clear bad looping)
https://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons/poi_lessons.php/poi/22

very bad (cant see a thing)
https://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons/poi_lessons.php/poi/26
bad (just plain confusing)
https://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons/poi_lessons.php/poi/28

juggle

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
TBH, I think the very beginner ones are great as they are. Such as the TTN tutorial, The weave tutorial etc...

What extra moves would people like to see on there?

Malcolm, Do you mind if I send you a short, compressed .AVI but leave it unedited, as I'm not too sure how to do that at the moment...

I think I'll do Airwraps... and maybe Isolations... (in buzzsaw, as that's the first Isolation I learnt...)

I think that it is best that all moves submitted are in their basic forms. That way people see basically how to do a move, but still have the fun of working out variations on their own without it being laid out on a plate for them. smile

*gets filming*

EDIT: Does this also Include the Staff tutorials? ANd is there anything in particular you would like to see in there? Also anything that would make it a better tutorial?
EDITED_BY: Leaning_Towards_Corruption (1137549323)

Be Water My Friend.

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
better go ask them silly staff people hidden away in there small staff section lol

sorry couldent resist

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Ed those sorts of questions are probably best address by pm or email if you want a timely response smile

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
that's it i will procrastinate no longer!
put a nice ribbon on your letterbox, dear malcolm!!!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Written by: Malcolm

I am having a day off today (my Birthday)

rolleyes

Just cant get the staff these days... wink

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Can this thread turn into a request thread then? I'd like to see a 7bt with no elblows please.... I'm not sure if it's possible but if I am in fact missing something, I'd like to see it smile

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Written by: DeepSoulSheep

I'd like to see a 7bt with no elblows please.... I'm not sure if it's possible but if I am in fact missing something,...

.. like a 2nd set of elbows?!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
Is that like a 5 bt. without your wrists?

Don't mind me, just passing through.

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
Written by: JayKitty

Is that like a 5 bt. without your wrists?

chec thisout https://www.motsplace.com/poi/7bt.html

Page: