smiley_dup1member
108 posts

Posted:
I am about to sit my last written exam ever! (hopefully). Anyone else sitting exams at the moment??

Gee its a weird feeling , Or maybe I drank to much coke , or maybe its the distinct lack of sleep , thats making me insane

Funny thing is I feel exactly like I have for every other exam I have sat for the last 5 years.... ill prepared!

I swear I will study harder nextime... oh wait there is no next time yipei!

I am loosing it,
see ya everyone and have a great day

I don't like living below the tropic of Capricorn..... and now I seem to be in England...... how did I get here???

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I hate you

Not only do I have the rest of this year full of exams, but at the end of this year, STEP 1 of the United States Medical Licensing Examination. Then two more years of exams, then STEP 2 of the USMLE. Then residency, and STEP 3, and then fellowship, and board examination, and then every five years after that, re-certification exams.

*sigh*

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

smiley_dup1member
108 posts

Posted:
Never fear u can do it! I did it, and thats saying something!!

Its a bit scary though. u know graduating...

they are going to let me loose on the pet population of Australia.... maybe the world. With a licence to hack and slash (surgery) and medicine and stuff.

I am shitting myself.

on second thoughts.........stay at uni!!. Its so much fun and its so safe and u are not responsible for as much stuff there.

On the other hand, if someone actually gives me a job now.... I will be able to afford a car, and proper food, and plane trips to see my family, and
concert tix, and cool fire dancing toys

maybe its not so bad after all Bring on the responsibility!

I don't like living below the tropic of Capricorn..... and now I seem to be in England...... how did I get here???

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
You're gonna be a vet? Oh, cool! You guys are awesome! I don't know how you do it. Ok, I want to be a pediatrician, so I will have the same problem with diagnosis that you will (the inability to ask the patient where it hurts...infants don't talk any better than dogs). But you need to know all those species! And your patients bite and scratch.

I could never be a vet. Too hard.

-Mike

smiley_dup1member
108 posts

Posted:
Yeah! me! can u immagine , and I get to be called doctor even though I havent done a PHD and probably don't deserve it

Gotta go, exotic diseases and toxicology await

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
MikeGinny - *points finger* AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! All those tests, hahahahaha, hmmmm, *has a realization* I still have to go through grad school, damn. But yeah, being a pediatrician or a vet would be soo worth all the testing in the world, rock on with those exams

This semester I'm pretty happy, not one in class exam At least thats what I tell myself when I'm going insane doing my beastly studio project or one of my 10 page tack home final essays.

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
Classes were over for me as of last friday. I've got three exams and a lab due but those don't start 'til the 12th. I feel like I've got all the time in the world, but I *know* it's going to come back and bit me in the ass.

la la la, I think I will go spend more time on HoP instead of studying.

:gets bitten on the ass:

crap dammit!

KaliBRONZE Member
577 posts

Posted:
I'm glad I go to a new age hippy school that doesn't believe in exams. I just have three research papers to write, a short paper in German, and a dance performance on the 11th (that's the one I'm really stressing about ).

and my professors are all pretty laid back so my deadlines to get my papers in are pretty loose.

Good luck with your exams everyone.

Beauty is the conscious sum of all our perversions.-Salvador DaliHope without action is hopeless.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
two exams tommorow, back to back.

yup, i should be studying/revising.

a vet? cool smiley. I've worked for several. However, that has left me with less than no desire to be one!!!

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Smiley?

Do vets have to take a course in renal physiology?

If so, can you help me?

Because the function of the kidney is to confuse me.

-Mike

smiley_dup1member
108 posts

Posted:
Hey Mike,
We didn't have to do a whole course in renal physiology, it was just one portion of the physiology course. Unfortunately I to find the topic confusing, I have to go back to my text all the time and relearn stuff.... Nasty litle sodium pumps hmmm

Did u know that if a cow dies from lantana poisoning its kidneys are yellow to cream coloured.........but..... if you cut them open and expose them to air they get a green discolouration when the photodynamic pigments from the plant oxidise..... pretty riveting stuff hey I hope I get to diagnose that one day!

Oh god I am glad that exam is over, I hope I didn't fail it! and have to do it again.

I only have 2 oral exams to go jippy!, this time tomorrow I will have no more responsibilities until I get a job

Good luck trying to understand the wonderful world that is the kidney. Just put yourself in the place of Na, Cl, K, H+, RBC etc and try to understand their litle worlds. eg Happy litle RBC takes a ride to the kidney, weee up and around he goes into the glomerulus, some of the warm fluid around our friend drains away, he gets to be up close and personal with his RBC buddies as he continues his journey through the efferent vasculature on the other side, but slowly..... he (actually his friend the tubular lining), reabsorbs some water and electrolyte friends..... but now there is less nasty metabolites in the warm fluid that surrounds him Yay! he's sooo happy, off he goes back to join the venous circulation, so he can go on a whirlwind trip of bubble city (lungs) to get high on oxygen.

Goodness me I think I have gone mad.

I hope that was of some help
, I gotta go study horse dentistry now for my oral exam this arvo

[ 02. December 2002, 14:22: Message edited by: smiley ]

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
LOL! Yup. That's the short version of it. I like that version.

No, we have to know nuts-and-bolts and it SUCKS HAIRY MONKEY BALLS.

"As plasma moves through the glomerular capillary, the glomerulary capillary falls slightly and the glomerular capillary oncotic pressure rises, because the concentration of unfiltered colloid increases as water and crystalloids are filtered. The degree of rise in the glomerular capillary oncotic pressure depends on the renal plasma flow. The lower the flow, the greater the rise in oncotic pressure that occurs by the end of the capillary."

Huh? It seems to me like greater flow would mean more filtration and thus a greater rise in oncotic pressure.

I hate renal physiology. None of it makes any sense!

-Mike

smiley_dup1member
108 posts

Posted:
Think of it this way.

If your glomerular filtration rate is really high, then there just isn't time for the oncotic pressure to rise!,

If the fluid is moving really slooooooooow then the glomerulus has shitloads of time to suck/filter out all the water (well more than it did before) and send the oncotic pressure in the capillary ball/vessels sky high .

Its like one of those crappy old fashioned stevens anaesthetic machines (that some vets still us). The fresh gas goes over this jar of isoflurane right. It the gas moves faster (ie you turn up the flow rates) then less anaesthetic agent will be picked up per unit volume of gas. However if u turn the flow rates down.... the gas has time to saturate with anaesthetic agent before moving on, thus achieving a higher anaesthetic concentration per unit volume of oxygen
hope that was of help

[ 02. December 2002, 15:07: Message edited by: smiley ]

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
You rock! That helped a LOT!

I think we also may have the dubious honor of being the first people to use the word "glomerulus" on HOP.

We'd better stop before people realise just HOW geeky we are.

-Mike

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
wakarimasen.

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

smiley_dup1member
108 posts

Posted:
Glomerulus glomerulus glomerulus hee he ha ha Why is glomerulus geeky , I must be soooo geeeky that I didn't know I was geeeky oh no

I just did my second last oral exam! one to go.

Yippee, hurrah

I think I betta go spin off some energy

Bye yall.

Here are some words I like
Gubernaculum
Hydranencephalus
Polysulphated Glycosaminoglycans

Bouncemember
37 posts

Posted:
hi smiley, i too am about to sit my last exam EVER (tomorrow morning) and then i'm out into the real world. i was severely disillusioned after my last tutorial, thinking i would really miss sleeping in and the cheap food at uni...considered doing post grad stuff even - then figured 5 years is enough for me and i am sooo looking forward to seeing all the people i've neglected over this year! only one more exam to go! woo yeah woo!

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Bounce, will have my fingers crossed for you. Give me a call when it is all over and you are hysterically bouncy and happy

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Great news, Smiley! Best of luck on this last one!

My favorites are all the "hyper--emics"

Hypervolemic
Hyperproteinemic
Hyperlipidemic
Hyperimmunoglobulinemic
Hyperalbuminemic

You say Hydraencephalus? We say hydrocephalus. (I say tomayto, you say tomahto).

Gubernaculum is another one of my favorites. Oh and "Schlemm" of canal fame...

But my all-time favorite is "N-acetyl glycosaminotransferase."

Let us know when you're done! I can only imagine the party...

-Mike

UCOF (emergency)member
129 posts

Posted:
woah....was anyone else having a bizzare feeling reading each of those silly long wordy things 3 letters at a time and then trying to say it quicker...my eyes hurt...argh!

erm...this is only a temp account until i get home and get the password to my usual account...sorry (itsa still the same flipping wierdo though)

Soleilmember
41 posts

Posted:
Is it just me or am i having an easy life? I'm in second year uni doing a full time course after TWO exams all last year. No mocks, nothing...

Oh but I plan to stay in uni for ever... dun dun dun!

sol x

HEEEEEEEEED!!

smiley_dup1member
108 posts

Posted:
Mikeginny
"You say Hydraencephalus? We say hydrocephalus. (I say tomayto, you say tomahto)."

Oh no I spelt it wrong!

Hydranencephalus - monster with the cranial vault exposed (no joke thats the actual deffinition in my dictionary)

Hydrocephalus - To much fluid retained/produced in the brain aqueduct system. Leads to increased pressure on surrounding brain tissue and thus brain damage.

I have so much stuff to do now !!, I haven't even finished yet and my parents are bugging me about moving my stuff back to their place!! Thats gonna be interesting seeing as I have no car and they 3000km away GRRRR

Anyway maybe its me just having a bad day, but I just booked the wrong hotel in the city for my graduation night, grrr again. Its a good hotel, but its not the one I wanted, and I can't change it cos I booked it through some other company and they will charge me more money to change it than the whole shenanigans is worth...................

oh well, betta start doing some of the stuff on my list. Thanks for letting me vent everyone.

Good luck to everyone sitting exams at the moment , especially those trying to organise moving, parents, bills, centrelink, job applications and a social life at the same time

Calm, ok be calm
one thing at a time..........................

884 posts

Posted:
All the notes I'm *trying* to study from are all online. HoP is my homepage. So, at any given time that I'm trying to study, I'm one click away from here.

IT'S KILLING ME!

I need to focus...honest to god, this is probably the 6th time I've been here today. Too many good people and too many good conversations. Can't stay away...just too addictive.

One day there's going to be a three-page post from me containing nothing but "g"s, or some other random letter, because I fell asleep at the keyboard, trying to study but inevitably wandering back here.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I just sat my last exam for the term!! yay

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Congratulations to all of thse finished - fingers crossed for finishing your exams!

I had my final Masters exam a coupla weeks ago - and you know, I'm silly enough to think I might like to do a PhD

man I need a holiday....

884 posts

Posted:
done????

wow, you guys are really ahead of us in terms of school year scheduling. Our exam period starts on thursday and goes to the 19th. I'm done as of the 16th.
Non-Https Image Link

Congrats Kyri, Ade and everyone else lucky enough to finished! Big hugs to you all.

Ooo, and good luck to everyone else.