Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > i suck... and it makes me sad

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
RenfaceSILVER Member
36 posts

Posted:
i watch some of these videos... and i just become so depressed that i probably wont ever reach such levels of talent....
how much is practice, and how much is just the natural abitity of timing and beat and ability. frown i dont want to give up... and i dont have the space or chance to practice in a possitive environment...
i am sad ubbcrying

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
frown

From the smallest acorns grow the mightest oaks.

smile

everyone has to start somewhere my friend.

stick with it, its fun! weavesmiley

hug

I would say you can learn 99% of spinning (yes, I acknowledge the gaping error in this sentence) with practice, and its that 1% that comes from natural brilliance ( wink ). And its that 1% that sets the Incredible spinners apart from just the amazing ones. biggrin

SprocketGOLD Member
140 posts

Posted:
What do you mean you don't have "the space or chance to practice in a positive environment"? All you need is enough room to spin a staff or a pair of socks, some nice music and off you go! Oklahoma surely is big enough to find a quiet spot where you can practice.

And anyway, those videos should be inspirational. Look at some tricks you really like and work on them.

No master has ever fallen from the sky, as the German saying goes.

Good luck and keep on spinning. weavesmiley

hm, pinecones, my favourits!

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
I suck, and it makes me happy.

now the question is suck what? wink

As long as you are at some level of suckage, there is nowhere to go but on up! smile

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
i dont have any natral talent so practice is good
i sucked for a long time now i only suck a bit. but i still love to spin seeing people like UCOFspin just makes me what to be able to do the stuff he is doing

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I'm rubbish! I can't do much with poi. I watch the videos and marvel at the abilities shown, but I don't let it get me down. It makes me smile and go "WOW!"

I love spinning. I know I'm far from ever having perfect planes and tech moves, but I don't care. It's not a contest. I love the feeling of being centered that spinning gives me. If I can't do all the crazy tech moves some people do..... well, so what! Spinning makes me feel good. Put on some good music, pick up your sock poi and just go for it, even if all you can do is spin a basic 2 beat weave.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
renface - I suck too - really it's all in the video editing wink

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

JohnVentureBRONZE Member
42 posts

Posted:
I suck too.

Although it might come from the fact I am mostly using my poi to approach other spinners and enjoy the show.

A sort of spin-pervert, so to speak.

You know what they say, there is only one way to be good: practice, practice, practice !

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
*puts hand up in agreement*

Yup, I've never really liked my spinning but that just makes me want to spin more, hopefully one day I will like it smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Motaddict
666 posts

Posted:
You can teach yourself to do anything,
I dont know about your 1% theory UCOF, are those 1% not just the obsessive complusives. It's all well and good to say, look at that spinner, he's a natural, I'll never be that good. But the spinner in question has spent such a huge amount of time into training. Years and years and years. So of course they are good. I guess it all boils down to how much time your willing to spend at it. And garunteed, if you spend an hour a day practicing, for the next three years, you'll be able to spin with the best of them.

Come forth and thou shalt win enternal happiness. but he came fifth so he won an electric toatser.

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I found the best thing was to meet other spinners...

I did that, and I learnt so much faster than if I were to be trying on my own... It's much easier to have someone show you what to do, and explain it, than have to either a) read a post which can be so confusing without the visual aids, or b) watch a video and speculate on how some really technical move is done...

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Don't worry. It doesn't matter how good or bad you are. It just matters that you enjoy it. And if you practice for a few years, then no doubt you'll become a good poi spinner like those whos videos you admire.

But it never pays to compare yourself to others in anything you do, as you will end up leading an unfufilled and unhappy life. Instead be content in yourself, and proud of yourself for your effort, perserverence and poi spinning! I know it's easier said than done, but its worth it if you can get there!

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Ah, but its not you that sucks at poi, but the poi that sucks at you.

Or some other kind of philisophical nonesense biggrin

I still suck at poi. To be honest, I got bored with it fairly quickly...

Now staff.... there's a prop that just rules... Even if you suck, its sooooo much fun to spin.

And you don't have to do lame as hyperloops rolleyes

wink

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
I don't know if it was the monkey fists he used but when i first saw Nx do some fire poi right in front of me i was like oh wow- thats awesome!

Watching videos of how I've improved over the last six months makes me think that I'm on my way to wow-ness in a few years, give or take rolleyes wink

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
Practice practice practice!!!! I can't say it enough, that's all it takes.

When i started spinning, about two and a half years ago, i sucked biiiig time and it didnt help with one of the first spinners i met being Oli, super loopy Oli, he blew me away and i could get any of the tricks he was doing, i didnt even understand them. Now, 2 1/2 years on, we're trick swapping, i'm showing him new things, he's showing me new things. It's the same with every spinner i meet, they can show me stuff, i can show them stuff.

It just takes time, dedication and a hell of a lot of practice. Stick with it!

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
Sometimes it is really easy to get down on yourself. This site gives us access to some of the most talented poi people in the world. If you were just learning to play guitar would you compare yourself to someone who tours the world?

It says your from New York originally, do you ever come back to visit? If so I live upstate and would get together with you for a spin sometime if your from the city theres alot of people to help you out. Finding someone to teach you helps ALOT. My two friends whom I taught to spin have progressed so rapidly it almost makes me mad. Considering I had to sit on a computer sorting through text descriptions trying to peice together every little thing. erghh Making friend is fun anyway smile

Peace, Love, Circles

RenfaceSILVER Member
36 posts

Posted:
wow...
thanks to everyone for the words of encouragement... i definitely love to spin... i find it as a stress reliever. at the moment i live in a tiny barracks room, with a roommate. i cant play my music... and i cant go out side and play it out of my car... volume tolerance is very strict here, so usually ill have to use my headphones; which works, but isn't as fun as practicing at a party in the environment where people are actually enjoying watching me rather then making fun of me cause they thing I'm on drugs. no one here understands and they automatically think I'm some extasy crazed raver... its embarrassing to do it out in public here... and it's hard to practice alot of moves in my room because if I'm lucky enough to have the room to myself for a few hours, my room is barely the size of a closet... and i hit the ceiling, bed, chairs... etc.
i definitely will never give up because the rush i get when i get a good flow going on is one of the best joys i have over in here in the middle of nowhere.
most videos are inspirational... but i definitely get frustrated because i just don't know where to begin... and just like any fantasy, you want things to be immediate... and i just wish it would click in my head and i could just bust out the crazy [censored]!

thanks again though.. smile you all make me feel better...

RenfaceSILVER Member
36 posts

Posted:
Written by: Rovo

Sometimes it is really easy to get down on yourself. This site gives us access to some of the most talented poi people in the world. If you were just learning to play guitar would you compare yourself to someone who tours the world?

It says your from New York originally, do you ever come back to visit? If so I live upstate and would get together with you for a spin sometime if your from the city theres alot of people to help you out. Finding someone to teach you helps ALOT. My two friends whom I taught to spin have progressed so rapidly it almost makes me mad. Considering I had to sit on a computer sorting through text descriptions trying to peice together every little thing. erghh Making friend is fun anyway smile

oh and i dont get to come home often... but i will be moving back to new york this november... and i would absolutely love to meet you. i wish i could meet with other POI spinners, but they just simply dont live here. but you'll be hearing from me... me and my fiancee plan on moving near or around albany... so we should be able to catch up at least at some parties. biggrin

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Written by: KaelGotRice

I suck, and it makes me happy.

now the question is suck what? wink

As long as you are at some level of suckage, there is nowhere to go but on up! smile

go down, surely? umm wink

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I also live in a small room, but get round it by practicing buzzsaw derived moves, and everything with shortened poi. It's certainly not ideal, but its a start. Are there any juggling clubs nearby that you could go to?

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
If not,
try printing these pictures out and spinning near them.
LINKY

RenfaceSILVER Member
36 posts

Posted:
Written by: pricklyleaf

I also live in a small room, but get round it by practicing buzzsaw derived moves, and everything with shortened poi. It's certainly not ideal, but its a start. Are there any juggling clubs nearby that you could go to?

there are NO clubs i can go to.
they all play country music

or rap.:(

there is no culture here...
i do moves in my room from time to time... but like i said... that is if my roommate actually leaves... we arent exactly into the same things... (this is mandatory roommate...) so i have to keep to my corner and keep quiet out of respect...
i get in my practice time whenever i can... but its certainly not ideal

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
You know do how many Oklahoma fire spinners there...right? umm

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
And you do realise that female Spinners are never crap...

They have things called Hips and Breasts which makes them way better to watch than us males...

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

RenfaceSILVER Member
36 posts

Posted:
well, i did meet some one on a whim at a club... but unfortunately she moved to florida within a few days after it. im sure there are spinners in oklahoma... but i live in lawton... and its not very easy to meet people in this bum of a town. ubbloco

oh and no matter how much i think i suck, i always manage to get some watchers when i do go out and spin... smile thats why i like doing it out better... it builds my self esteem... they could just be looking at my mini skirt though biggrin

RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
Well my town is 45 minutes west of Albany so you would be the nearest non close friend poi person I know. I know many more poi people from Canada then the states I must say sadly.

Peace, Love, Circles

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
*imagines poi in a mini skirt* wink

Let's relight this forum ubblove

RenfaceSILVER Member
36 posts

Posted:
I'm looking forward to being your nearest non close friend at the end of the year biggrin

oh and, I've done the skirt... but when i plan on dancing (I'm better at that then spinning) i tend to go with the pants... particularly when i bust out experimental breaks and stalls lol..

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
You could learn to like country and rap music.

umm

Then you could goto the clubs to spin smile

RenfaceSILVER Member
36 posts

Posted:
Written by: UnbeatenChampionOfFighting

You could learn to like country and rap music.

umm

Then you could goto the clubs to spin smile

ubblol ubblol ubblol
no smile
rap is ok sometimes... but never the stuff that they play. its all "WHHHAAAATT... OOOKKKKK".
not my cup..
weavesmiley

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
go for the country then ubblol

spinning to country music *contemplates*.... somrthing I must try... I could jig at the same time biggrin

Page: