Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > i suck... and it makes me sad

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
RenfaceSILVER Member
36 posts

Posted:
i watch some of these videos... and i just become so depressed that i probably wont ever reach such levels of talent....
how much is practice, and how much is just the natural abitity of timing and beat and ability. frown i dont want to give up... and i dont have the space or chance to practice in a possitive environment...
i am sad ubbcrying

RenfaceSILVER Member
36 posts

Posted:
i hear it all the time... and i just dont see it working. ubblol
ubbrollsmile

ill be back home soon, ive survived this long. smile

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Spin to fusion jazz LOL

*spinning a windmill about a million miles per hour hitting his belly* oowch

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

MuskelungeGOLD Member
55 posts

Posted:
Remember: even if you suck, by practicing you cannot help but get better.
You can't make yourself worse.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

spooksnewbie
6 posts

Posted:
Im pretty rubbish too, but not been doing it very long, no matter how bad you are you will always look totally cool to your non spinning friends cool biggrin
EDITED_BY: spooks (1138226771)

tEa AnD cAkE oR dEaTh?!

HelenGBRONZE Member
17 posts

Posted:
Ive only been spinning since september and Id say im pretty rubbish as far as spinners go!shrug

But its so cool to whack on a really upbeat tune that u love and just go for it! Usually you'll mess up one move and in the process discover a new one!!

Thing is though, the more u practise, the better u get. Even if it takes like a month to figure out how to do a backwards weave *hangs head in shame* mad2 you'll get it in the end!! clap

Its tru aswell, even if u think u are ultimatly crap, ur mates will be like woooooow thats amaaaaaaaaazing biggrin weavesmiley biggrin Then you can just sit back and go..*sigh* yes, i am quite a legend, arent i... haha

Stick with it! Its fun!

Nobody wants their ex to be having a better time than them. They should write letters stating their undying love and then they should die. ~Joan Rivers ~ wink

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
You can go on comparing yourself to other people for ages and always be dissatisfied with your spinning, as there will always be someone who spins better than you, does some trick that you can't or dances nicer etc, etc.

The most satisfaction lies in personal development: don't compare yourself to someone who's better than you: seek your own path, whether that's in dancing more, being more technical, coming up with silly tricks that are purely for your own gratification and that of other spinners (try explaining the joys of the ucof principle, etc. to non-spinners)

and yes, even if all you can do is a three beat weave, do it really fast and look like a nutter and people will believe you are good (as long as they can't do more than that with poi)

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Winged AvengerSILVER Member
The official Emma Peel wannabe
226 posts

Posted:
ditto and hug and lots of empathy

"Always keep your bowler on in times of stress and watch out for diabolical masterminds" - Emma Peel

HelenGBRONZE Member
17 posts

Posted:
Gona perhaps ask a really stupid question to make me look really unbelievably stupid and you might all laugh heartily at me....what on earth is the ucof principle!!!???

*cringe..runs away blushing clutching childhood teddy*

Nobody wants their ex to be having a better time than them. They should write letters stating their undying love and then they should die. ~Joan Rivers ~ wink

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
er.

something very, very silly about non tangling tangles.

(blushes with shame for such a naming)

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

HelenGBRONZE Member
17 posts

Posted:
OMG ive totally seen videos of that. Yeh like when ur spinning happily away and then twist the chains/cord whatever round each other on PURPOSE and its way cool and then they magically untangle!!

WOOHOO! ok right, but how the censored do u do it!!??

no way, ok i dont want to kno cos i only just mastered backward weave and windmill. I am SOOOO not ready for such brilliance.

*totally in awe of untangling tangler spinners*

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I always thought the UCoF principle had more to do with the Funny, silly moves, that only us spinners find funny...

But the tangles, they're fun. I wouldn't run before you can walk, though...

As soon as I get a nice Sunny day, I'll make an Airwrap tutorial Video. smile

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
er. its not about tangles, per se, its more about. er. er.... not tangliong when you should...

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Sorry, Rob... you're still being too cryptic...

You're gonna have to go into details, methinks... biggrin

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
no

wink

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
go for it on the airwrap tutorials tho. i'd like to, but i think i'm under contract to the beast of the spherculoid...

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"er. its not about tangles, per se, its more about. er. er.... not tangling when you should... "

Yes. biggrin

HelenGBRONZE Member
17 posts

Posted:
*confused*

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Written by: Renface

its all "WHHHAAAATT... OOOKKKKK".
not my cup..
weavesmiley

LOL little jon

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Written by: HelenG

*confused*

That's a common state of mind to be in around UCoF and Bluekitty. Don't worry, just remember to back away from them without making too much eye contact. They rarely bite and if they do start charging toward you, just throw an open packet of hobnob into the air. It will distract them long enough for you to run for it!

wink

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Alioshamember
57 posts

Posted:
Written by: Mot

You can teach yourself to do anything,
I dont know about your 1% theory UCOF, are those 1% not just the obsessive complusives. It's all well and good to say, look at that spinner, he's a natural, I'll never be that good. But the spinner in question has spent such a huge amount of time into training. Years and years and years. So of course they are good. I guess it all boils down to how much time your willing to spend at it. And garunteed, if you spend an hour a day practicing, for the next three years, you'll be able to spin with the best of them.

I grok.
Anecdote:
After a concert of I-don't-remember-which-piano-player, a woman goes to him and say
"That was wonderful. I really wish I could play like that. I would give my life for that"
"I did" was the answer.

So. I don't know, maybe THERE IS people that are good from the beginning on; I am never. I am always a lousy beginner, and the only way to begin something, for me, is
a) to have fun in it (spinning was great) and
b) to do it on my own for a while, so that I don't feel too much that I suck.
Ok, maybe having someone supportive is not that bad, too.

---
"Angels fly because they don't take themselves too seriously"
G.C. Chesterson

HelenGBRONZE Member
17 posts

Posted:
Nah i dont reckon. I played the piano since i was four yrs old and reached the top examination terms when i was 17. Thirteen years, and I did it fairly fast in learning piano terms! Learning piano is way way hard and definitely requires sum kind of natural flair for it. Duno if its maybe the ability to coordinate both hands easily or if u just have an ear for music shrug no idea haha and i cant describe it, but sumhow i know it is totally different to learning poi.

soapbox *steps off and invites anyone else to join in*

haha sorry totally not ranting. Just that poi took me six months to be able to hold myself pretty well with a fire show and piano took me all my life and im still learnin...

*shuts mouth and sits in corner!* footinmouth

hug grouphug hug grouphug hug

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
*steps onto soapbox*
If you have no more tricks to learn after six months, then either you're a superfast learner, or you need some inspiration! Look at people like Meenik, who spin with incredible grace and style but still accept that they are still learning, all the time. I think it's really not that different, surely if you do a piano recital it's a similar thing to doing a poi show? and every time you will play with either you will be looking to expand your ability? After 6 months are you impressing people who know what the possibilities of poi really are, or just people off the street? like the difference between a skilled musician and joe bloggs listening to your recital and coming back with criticism?

basically, you can impress people with a shoddy 3 beat weave, so long as you do it *really* fast. Just like I'd be impressed by anyone who can play any tune more complicated than 'twinkle, twinkle little star'.

However, people tend to listen to music more than they watch poi so they know what to listen for, whereas they won't be looking for clean planes/dance technique/atomics/antispin/whatever.

Hope that makes sense?
smile hug
*steps off soapbox*

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
I'd consider myself a good spinner - albeit one still with a thousand things to learn and improve - but it took a good couple of years to learn the very basics. Heck, I gave up at one point because I couldn't get the reverse 3bt weave... Stick with it and things will improve, you'll get to a point where even learning most new things feels a lot more natural.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

JonnyRokBRONZE Member
Look! I'm Darth Bunny!
446 posts

Posted:
Even the pros had to learn, even if you have natural talent it doesnt always show, sometimes you need to practice a bit more, the more you practice the more it will show. No one just picked up poi and were good at it. Keep at it and eventually you will get there even if it takes a while

Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!
Yo ho fiddle dee dee, being a pirate is alright to be,
Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!

HelenGBRONZE Member
17 posts

Posted:
omg no way I so have waaaaay loads to learn definitely!!! and yeh reckon you don't stop learning either!! All I was getting at is, its taken me longer to get to where i am musically than with spinning... I don't even know if I am being clear in what I am tryin to say, Prob not. Just reckon its hard to compare poi to piano thats all. Coming from both sides of the fence....

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
Written by: Renface

i watch some of these videos... and i just become so depressed that i probably wont ever reach such levels of talent....

It was watching "those" videos & people doing it it town that made me go "wow, I want to be able to do that"
I also thought (to start with) that I'd never be able to do that.

1 year on, now I'm the one going down to my local reserve by the beach having other people saying that with what I do (& I'm still not that good (yet) biggrin
As far as piano & poi go, I think any art form is a continuous learning curve.
Keep at it & have fun weavesmiley

Are you up for it?
wink;)

Page: