Forums > Social Discussion > 'poetic justice' is alive and well...

Login/Join to Participate

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
*edit - ok to make people happy this has been retitled.

I saw these 2 stories in the paper this week, and they restored my faith that karma is alive and well...

Teen breaks leg killing spider

By Edmund Tadros

January 12, 2006 - 3:16PM

(from www.smh.com.au)

A 19-year-old youth-camp leader has broken his leg in two places after kicking ''one of the largest'' huntsman spiders he had ever seen.

The teen saw the spider on a wall this morning while at the Attunga Country Campsite in the NSW Southern Highlands and attacked it with a deadly kick that ended the spider's life - and badly affected his own.

He was airlifted to Liverpool hospital by an NRMA CareFlight helicopter from the camp, which is 25 kilometres west of Mittagong.

''He was [looking] sheepish but he was in significant pain and he was facing the barrier of difficult road access," said Greg Ohlsson, the pilot of the helicopter.

''He was a nice guy, he was very polite and obviously embarrassed.

''He said the spider was a huntsman, one of the largest he'd ever seen, which is why he kicked it.''

Mr Ohlsson said the man's friends were concerned for his health but described the camp atmosphere as "light-hearted" due to the cause of the injury.

''They wished him well and told him to hurry up and get well, so he could come camping again.''

Revenge of the blazing mouse

January 9, 2006 - 10:17AM

(smh.com.au)

A mouse got its revenge against a homeowner who tried to dispose of it in a pile of burning leaves. The blazing creature ran back into the man's house, setting it on fire.

Luciano Mares, 81, of Fort Sumner said he caught the mouse inside his house and wanted to get rid of it.

"I had some leaves burning outside, so I threw it in the fire, and the mouse was on fire and ran back at the house," he said from a motel room.

Village Fire Chief Juan Chavez said the burning mouse ran just beneath a window of the house. The flames spread up the window and throughout the house.

All the contents of the home were destroyed, he said. No injuries were reported.

Unseasonably dry and windy conditions have charred more than 21,200 hectares and destroyed 10 homes in south-eastern New Mexico in recent weeks.

"I've seen numerous house fires," village Fire Department Captain Jim Lyssy said, "but nothing as unique as this one."

AP

EDITED_BY: Dentrassi (1137247270)

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
So it seems. Great find! smile

Peace, Love, Circles

KradBRONZE Member
60 posts

Posted:
Well I dont think you can really argue with that.
Here's a quick video depicting the laws of Karma, this guy trys to push a kid of his bike...

https://198.65.157.77/video/bumperhit.html

"Hold on tight to what you love and cherish, allways stand up for what you know to be right. Live everyday as if it were your last, and dont forget to smile!"

loki.c1687SILVER Member
addict
546 posts

Posted:
loves it!

Rules and responsibities:
These are the ties that bind us.
We do what we do,because of who we are.
If we did otherwise,we would not be ourselves.
I will do what i have to do
And i will do what i must..

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
does that also involve the karma of the attacked one?

there seems to be some different perception of " the law of karma"

wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
Written by: Krad

Well I dont think you can really argue with that.
Here's a quick video depicting the laws of Karma, this guy trys to push a kid of his bike...

https://198.65.157.77/video/bumperhit.html

Dude! youch! ubblol

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Damn... ubblol Wonderful, simply wonderful.

What kind of a person would kill a mouse by dropping it in a fire??? frown Serves him right, the git!

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
No overly convinced about the mouse thing.

How long will a mouse burn and stay alive?
In that time could it get into a position where itr could set a house on fire?

'Course it might not be but it sounds like an insurance fraud

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

Pen DravenUnofficial Lord Of Confusion And Pirate Extrodinaire
1,363 posts

Posted:
Assuming at least a few have you have started watching 'My Name is Earl' then biggrin Most amusing, and yeah have to say that I'm a believer in Karma myself

Some men see things and say why....

I Dream of things that never were and say Why Not....?

Oh No I'm going to get Shot Alive if he finds out - DA wink

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Written by: Sethis

What kind of a person would kill a mouse by dropping it in a fire??? frown

deja-vu??? ubblol hug wink

frown not an empathist! That's for sure... !

There's another great take with a guy trying to put a horseshoe on a a55kickin beauty... can't find it frown

Anyone knows whether/ or not it hurts when you put on a horseshoe? umm

Pen DravenUnofficial Lord Of Confusion And Pirate Extrodinaire
1,363 posts

Posted:
Horses Hooves are essentially Nails right ? so i guess it might sting a bit like it does if you were to catch a toe nail or something.... But errr being no expert will differ to someone that has a clue biggrin

Some men see things and say why....

I Dream of things that never were and say Why Not....?

Oh No I'm going to get Shot Alive if he finds out - DA wink

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Thing about Karma though, is, even if it is real, it doesn't manifest in those ways.

People who do bad things generally do not recieve immediate punishment; often they live out their lives with no such obvious manifestations of 'karmic judgement'.

Equally, many who do good things, will have, for example, their house burnt down- sometimes these things just happen.

To me, the picture of karma painted by the above stories is innacurate.

In my view, the truth of karma, if it is real, is that it operates on a much more subtle level, which ultimately comes down to simple cause and effect.

ie if you are a malicious person, then that itself is your 'karma'.

To the extent that 'punishment' is involved, that is your punishment- the simple fact that you are a malicious person (and all that follows from it).

Not that some mechanism in the world engages to ensure your house is burnt down smile

I have that view because I think it is more useful, and is also consistent with the actual behaviour of the real world.

(And because I have studied philosophies which utilise the concept of karma, such as buddhism, to quite a deep level).

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
clap ditto

is it offtopic if I'm throwing in the following:

As there is (maybe) no (abstract) absolute "good" or "evil" - is "bad karma" formed only by acting against what your heart, what your "true self" is telling you?

So to reverse it: if you are truely convinced to do the right thing - but others say "it's bad" - would that cause "bad karma"?

Or another angle: if somebody does burn down your house - is that accumulating his bad karma, or deminishing yours? Or both?

Is "Karma" only formed by acting? Or can it be formed by "non-acting"?

Heee heeeee I like it.... *wandering in the Land of Karma, rickshaws and sadhus*

namaste smile

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I think indeed you've overly simplified things, but I suppose it makes us feel good to see something we can readily perceive as justice, instead of having to look deeply at matters all the time. Cheers.

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
There is no real true definition of karma, but the old adage "What goes around comes around" somes it up quite well.

It's not a physical entity, it's not invented or created, only an interpretation of events and life. You could study it for a million years and be as right about it as someone who's only just thought about it, and just as wrong as they are too.

Yes Dave you're perspective is right, but waaaaay over complicating something which is so simple.

Did the dude whacking his head on the car get his dues from Karma? imo Yes, and quite quickly. Does being an [censored] all your life deal it's own karma by not giving you an enlightened existance, yes, just over a longer time frame, but in the course of universal existance the time taken is almost identical smile

mice burning houses, idiots getting their cummupance via rear bumper face mashing, hitler being forced to commit suicide and ghandi and mother teresa living a long life culminating with content souls, it's all the same thing

peace

Let's relight this forum ubblove

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
But what of good people who live short and/or misrable lives? There's no justice.

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

nonenonenoneSILVER Member
129 posts

Posted:
not to put a damper on things but sometimes its hard to believe in the whole 'what goes around comes around' thing.
im 18 and in my last year of Alevels and over the past 2 months, 2 people doing there Alevels at the college i go to both died, one was 17 and she had cancer, the other was 18 and he had a brain tumor but died of meningitis.
even if it is sometimes good to think that people might get what they deserve its hard to believe people can do anything bad enough for something like that to happen.
what goes around comes around?...what can they have done to deserve that.

but do like the above stories about the spider and mouse!! smile

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
What about the karma of posting stuff that's already been discussed.

wink

[Old link]

I'm ONLY playing... I KNOW it was a chat and not technical and yada yada yada... it was just funny.

ubblol

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: Dunc

There is no real true definition of karma, but the old adage "What goes around comes around" somes it up quite well.

It's not a physical entity, it's not invented or created, only an interpretation of events and life. You could study it for a million years and be as right about it as someone who's only just thought about it, and just as wrong as they are too.

Yes Dave you're perspective is right, but waaaaay over complicating something which is so simple.

Overcomplicating? I thought I was making fairly straightforward points smile

Essentially, from your description, it sounds like a world with karma would be indistinguishable from one without it?

I suspect that most people who use the term 'karma' would be uneasy about that.

I don't dispute your view that it is an interpretation of events- I've used the same concept to justify some aspects of religious belief(the beneficial ones) in the absence of a possibility of scientific proof/evidence for the existence of God- however, I feel that most who use the term 'karma', see it as something over an above and interpretation.

Written by: Dunc

Did the dude whacking his head on the car get his dues from Karma? imo Yes, and quite quickly. Does being an censored all your life deal it's own karma by not giving you an enlightened existance, yes, just over a longer time frame, but in the course of universal existance the time taken is almost identical smile

mice burning houses, idiots getting their cummupance via rear bumper face mashing, hitler being forced to commit suicide and ghandi and mother teresa living a long life culminating with content souls, it's all the same thing

Personally, I still prefer to say that, no, the mouse killer did not get his dues from karma- it wasn't karma that led to the house burning down.

And one reason I maintain that view, is that simplistic interpretations of karma can easily be offensive.

For example, as 0Vikki0 says; for every act of wrong that ends in the wrong-doer coming off worse, there are as many examples of decent lives being cut short by cancer/illness.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I quite like the wiki definition.

Written by: Wiki

Karma is a sum of all that an individual has done and is currently doing. The effects of those deeds actively create present and future experiences, thus making one responsible for one's own life. In religions that incorporate reincarnation, karma extends through one's present life and all past and future lives as well.

It says what I'm trying to say but better smile Our actions lead to our future experiences, be they short or long term experiences.

And I don't think that simplyfying a fundamentally simple concept is offensive, except maybe to the over sensitive and extremists out there.

Written by: Dave

Essentially, from your description, it sounds like a world with karma would be indistinguishable from one without it?

Exactly. In the world today I doubt very much that it would be distinguishable.

I'm sorry to hear about your college friends Vikki. hug

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
would everyone be happy if we just called it poetic justice?

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Yes, very smile

nonenonenoneSILVER Member
129 posts

Posted:
think thats a much better way of describing it!

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Even I'm happy smile

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Could it be that there'll finally be a unanimous agreement on HoP Discussion!?

Mental! biggrin

wink

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
OMG! That's a really good point FRD! YEY! clap We're all happy grouphug beerchug

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I will join in the happiness!

can I have hugs too?

hug

or even one of these? grouphug

ubblove

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah