Poispinnewbie
3 posts

Posted:
About two weeks ago ive was kicked out from my house.. im 17 and ive been stayin at my friends but been doin poi at the boulevard to make some money to eat lol how does that sound? Ive only done it twice though cause i fear the fumes from the kerosene hurtin my lungs lol rolleyes

AnApplenewbie
9 posts

Posted:
Must be fun for the time being, but lets be honest, 2 spins every 2 weeks isnt going to get enough money to sustain you every week for the rest of your life.

I'm no careers advisor, but getting a propper job will probably be your best option for the time being at least. Make use of the new address before you outstay your welcome, getting a decent job whilst homeless isnt gonna be easy.

Have you thought about insurance / busking permit?

Just my thoughts on the matter.
Thanks for reading.

Poispinnewbie
3 posts

Posted:
i live in honduras, central america.. we usually dont have insurances here.. I just pay for my dinner though lol.. im still goin to school.. I aint really livin outta poi just makin my "havin fun" money as I may call it.. and my transportation to school smile im still plannin to get a job though wink and I think Imma go back to my house in some months too.. :P
EDITED_BY: Poispin (1137130112)

PyroPsytenewbie
1 post

Posted:
I live in Johannesburg, South Africa. I've been doing poi for the last 6 years. I moved out 3 years ago, and fire has helped in keeping me with a roof over my head. I've had normal jobs and no job at all, but poi has always been there. I have made some really good money in the past, but as life goes, surviving is more important than having fun and Poi, unfortunately doesn't provide an exceptually healthy looking pay check. YET, but I'm working on it. Between Oct and Dec last year (2005) I was doing a average of 2 to 3 shows a week! I perform in a stage show as a poi artist as well as busking out in the streets! But it isn't always about money for me. There are always times when I just want to spin, but I don't care if I'm making money off it or not! I just like the fact that people appreciate what it is that I do! There are people out there, and I know cause I've met some, but they won't pick up thier toys unless they are getting paid for it!!! SHAME ON YOU!!!!!

But my advice, if it worth anything at all, Is if you want to be a performer, you have to keep a steady job while you are getting on your feet so to speak, cause unfortunately it is not a recipe for instant success!

Live the life you love,
Love the life you live.
-----Bob Marley------
--------------------------
Dance It, Breathe It, Live It & Love It
-------------------ME----------------------

jinx-raverbirdSILVER Member
59 posts

Posted:
id love to be able to not have to work and just do poi.

that will b alrite!

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
As I'm sure a few people will attest, you're extremely unlikely to be able to stop working if you decide to spin poi for a living - you have to treat it as a full (and possibly more) time job to make a reasonable living from it.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
And then theres the problem of over spinning.
You can get bored of poi.
Its true.
Ive been there.
Then it gets fun again after you havent done it for a while.

smile

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Then you take up Hula Hooping biggrin

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
you can make a living, I recon, but just poi, maybe not. I dont actaully do poi in my street shows, nor staff, though they are my longest standing an most polished diciplins.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
You're still alive?

I think that means I lose a bet.

wink

hug

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
hug

p.s. I dont recon you can make a livin out of poi, but you can have a damm fine summer... wink

-><- Kallisti

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
i reckon you can, now... but it helps to have other strings to your bow.. (and other weapons too)

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
mmm swords

Non-Https Image Link

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
i shpell dishiplins like i got no teesh

-><- Kallisti