Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Through-The-Legs Help Please

Login/Join to Participate

SquintywitchSILVER Member
14 posts

Posted:
I tried searching... I tried the pages and pages of technical posts and not a thing could I find.

So.

I'm currently working on between-the-legs weave and low wave (the best video I've found is on https://www.feuershow.de/)
and I can't stop hitting myself painfully in the leg, the groin or the bum. I've tried doing it quick (the poi torques round and wraps my leg) and slow (it falls out of the pattern or hits me in the back) - I've tried it standing up, bending over, hands far through, hands way back and I can't do it.

If there's a knack, would someone be kind enough to explain it - or at least tell me the way I should keep practicing it to eventually get rid of my bruises?

Thanks! smile

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
try forcing a chainge of plane i do it by comming in at almost a 10' to 15' angle by twisting my wrist and pulling it slighly out of plane so the weave is actualy going through your legs at an angle

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Or instead of changing plane, Move your body to suit?

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
you need to move your legs slightly which should make it easier,

if the poi are spinning anti-clockwise infront of you then when they go between your legs, your right leg needs to be more forward than your left, as the poi are about to come back through, move your right leg back so its slightly behind your left. You can see this movement in the feurshow.de tutorial. Practice with one poi at a time

Hope that helps
smile

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
Let's try first doing it slow and don't force the plane but just turn 180° degree!!! If you are doing a weave under your rigth leg turn left...
and I qote star move a lot your legs first

Acciaio devil

14 posts

Posted:
Thanks guys! The turning/leg moving definately works better, though I do end up doing a sort of daft comedy walk forward. My legs appreciate it.
hug

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
well i like to force the plane

walks o in a huff (expecting a hug of simpathy in that way girls are good at)

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

14 posts

Posted:
Unfortunately I'm still too much of a doofus to force planes (or even really to know how...)

hug

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Forcing planes looks ugly anyhow! Instead of moving your legs compleatly, try going onto your tip toes and bending at your knees.

Oh and you live in Glasgow so come meet us here - there are a few poi spinners who go, though none of us really do much between the legs stuff. Glasgow juggling club

Pm me if you want more information or anything! smile

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
JOJO ITS BUMMERFLY-TIME!!!

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
Written by: Vampyricacid

JOJO ITS BUMMERFLY-TIME!!!

exactly what I thought when I read the thread title ubblol ubblol

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
OOH yeah!! the bummerfly!! ubblol

do the butterfly through your legs...:D brilliant!

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.