Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > British Juggling Convention 20th - 23rd April

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
devilstarSILVER Member
blue haired pyrovixen monkey girl!
155 posts

Posted:
At the request of Bubbles, here's the BJC2006 thread.

Many of you know the score, infact it was last year's BJC where I met my first HOP'res & got talked into giving these forums a go. It was my first ever camping convention & I've been hoocked ever since, I even met my partner there eek

There's Juggling & Spinning & Acro & workshops & 24 hr juggling hall & a fireshow & much more, but not least important is it'll be my birthday on the Saterday ubblol they have a lovley & informative website here. Pre-reg is £50 & ends March 7th.

You comming then? weavesmiley juggle biggrin ubblove hug

devil Blue is best, blue is beautiful
If I knew what I was looking for, I would have found it by now, but that would take all the fun out of it. - me
I never wanted to be different. I just wanted to be me - bmeshop.com

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Harry_Potter

The Reason:-
In the old days, not now (which was stated) Staffers and Poi people tended to just be Dog and String Tramps, who tended to be very antisolcial and not get on very well with the nice people. I think its a old running streotypical thing.

Oh, thats fine then smile I'll start putting up signs implying that all jugglers are like Jason Garfield wink They were acking like it, thats for sure.

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: becci

but they had scissors frown

and we have five foot long sticks with fire on the end smile

i know that's not in the game, but i'm pretty sure sticks beat both paper and scissors (but probably not rocks).

seriously - they wouldn't have actually tried to use scissors!

it does sound slightly unpleasant i must admit, but i reckon if you ignore it and do your own thing, no-one would actually try to stop you.

if they did, you could simply tell them to go speak to the organiser about it - if it was the organiser, you simply demand your money back before you agree to stop spinning.

shrug

polarity's line is a great one to graffiti onto anti-poi signs though biggrin

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Neon Shaolin

Sym - did you have permission to put flyers up?

No, but I assumed it because I was putting them up next to all the other flyers there. I think there were about 6 or 7 other ones, all to different things?

Harry_PotterToadStool Circus Acts
181 posts

Posted:
Well i for one had a brilliant time non the less. Yes i know i do juggle, now trying 5 balls. And was very impressed by the 6 ball mills mess i saw, but the lack of Poi and Staffing got me down. I only saw Strugs some other contact spinning dude and some doubles girl, that kicked ass. Oh also the Japanese Diablo dudes girlfriend had Pink fluffy Poi. Maybe she'll become a champion and show the Jugglers that we own.

Yo-yoist, Staffer and 3 Ball and Club Juggling
'Its people like us, who make them feel talentless.'

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Sym, you have to come to the next one - you are hereby recruited into the poi spinning entourage that I think we should give Jason Garfield whenever possible

We've got a year, we should be able to get our hands on some proper honour guard style costumes - I reckon we'll need at least 20 of them.

tongue

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

181 posts

Posted:
Hahaha a beating for Garfield. I'd love to see that. Can i be a cheerleader for this poi spinning entourage?

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
ooh ooh i can i join?

i can do my btb crosses which i learnt at the bjc biggrin

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Would Sym actually pay £50 for the 'privilege'?

If all goes according to plan I should be in Australia by then...

Sorry you didn't enjoy yourself Sym. I was kinda annoyed by the lack of fire treats too. What annoyed me about that was how they had the Safety Regulations Sheet passed out the section referring to fire crossed out in RED felt-tip. Failing completely to obscure the fact that they intended to have fire. Could've asked for my money back on that count but decided to enjoy the weekend with friends.

We did have the idea to go to the football field next to the overspill campsite and do fire there. Or drive to the beach. Needless to say we were far too lazy or f**ked to bother...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
I would pay £50 to dress up with Bov, Jon and anyone else who wanted to take part, yes! biggrin

It's not that I didn't enjoy myself, it's just that I thought I could have spent my money and time on something better.

Maybe I will go to next years, just to make sure...I did enjoy last year a lot... confused

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
Well I gues you try these things and then go back to the ones that you like . . . I guess if you don't like it you could always organise your own festival with some friends wink oh look you are..... ubblol wink wink wink

But seriously, it is their loss 'cos the more people enjoying themselves the better . . . . I am sure 90% of people didn't care what you were upto . . . its just the 10% of people that want to do poi but can't that are just jealous.... ubblol

hug's

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
did someone mention 3-legged poi race??

Non-Https Image Link

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
yeah, look and Simon and I doing an atomic weave.... redface

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
you and Simian would've won if it wasnt for that meddling Devkev!!!

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
lol:
I actually had a great time, and encountered little in the way of anti-poi sentiment myself. I felt a bit wierd being in a room with so many jugglers after falmouth, but what the hey. Fortunately Devkev and Simian were doing technical stuff, so I didn't feel to bad about having a bit of a spiggle at times.

Anyway, I did pick up some clubswinging, which (mixed with poi) is mostly what I spent my time doing. I was dissapointed about the lack of fire, but having the 24hr hall meant we could still spin in the warm and dry all night, and there was plenty of other stuff to keep me busy.

all in all, my most annoying cancellation was the fire safety and PLI workshop, and the attitude of some of the people in reception I found a bit irritating at times.

but I got to see lots of cool juggling tricks and shows, learnt lots of stuff I about clubswinging, found out the meaning of 'kendama' and just had a laugh generally. My wallet is still hurting though wink

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

JtJCheck ya later
500 posts

Posted:
I have a huge amount to say on this subject and don't know where to start, so I won't . . .

All I will say is it's not only in the 'juggling' community that it feels like "a big old boy network". That is exactly how I felt at my first HoP events.

Like I said, I have far too much to say on the subject so I think it will have to wait for another time. I'm tired . . .

Jake the Juggler

181 posts

Posted:
Hey what people were members of the Circimedia crew. I'm sourt of wanting to look into it. Was wondering if any of you guys that were at the British Juggling Convention or not doesnt matter could give me the email address. Information. Just PM me thankyou.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
get in contact with 2bags

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Preferably when he remembers to put some clothes on...

Just remembered how I slept in the juggling hall from 6am Sunday morning till 2pm afternoon after an all-nighter. I was sick of the cold hard ground on my tent and I wanted to sleep in a nice soft and warm environment.

It was warm and soft. But I didn't count on the noise of jugglers and people playing basketball. Despite that I still managed to sleep till 2pm, only momentarily woken up by the guys from the firetoys stall lifting the entire crashmat I was sleeping on about a few metres towards the wall. They were careful not to wake me. They failed but I was glad of the sentiment... The entire hall was privy to me curled up in a sleeping bag in my pyjamas. I didn't care... it was a good night's sleep...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Ahh... what a brilliant 2 weeks away from work.

BJC was great.
Was also fantastic to see Minty McSauce, Trippy Hippy, Millhouse and "others" wink
Was fantastic too to learn how to bung a nail upside my head from my friends ubblol
Missed out on the swimming though, the show was a waste of 5 hours frown
My favourite bit had to be the getting to and arriving at the site; the convoy road trip via the country roads, the arriving at the site and hugging 6 of my favourite people within 3 minutes of arriving, and the putting up of the tents in the dark and wet. smile
Theres nothing like it I tell you! biggrin

I'll be seeing you all at the EJC biggrin

181 posts

Posted:
The Show was awesome! Well i thought it was. I loved the journey under the sea act. And evel The Juggling is art was good, lol. I thought it was all amazing came out quite shocked. I thought it was well worth the whole 5 hours. Oh and yes the bus journey was funny. I was around Arron and Guy G lol they were setting up there Kendama group... interesting.

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
On the topic of anti-poi sentiment - I'm always really curious as to what people who claim to hate poi think of club swinging.

It's certainly not juggling, and it bears a certain resemblance to poi, given that most of the movements are the same.

I've always thought it was held in a better light than spinning poi for some reason, but then I've not really spoken to many people about it.

If there is a difference, I really don't know why - maybe it's just because clubs are objects that jugglers are familiar with.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:
 Written by: TheBovrilMonkey

On the topic of anti-poi sentiment - I'm always really curious as to what people who claim to hate poi think of club swinging.
It's certainly not juggling, and it bears a certain resemblance to poi, given that most of the movements are the same.

I've always thought it was held in a better light than spinning poi for some reason, but then I've not really spoken to many people about it.
If there is a difference, I really don't know why - maybe it's just because clubs are objects that jugglers are familiar with.

OK, so I'm a club swinger ( and not a poi spinner, so flame me!! ), and I've been on "the juggling scene" since before poi got popular ( cos I'm a very old man.. ), so I figure I might just be the person to answer this one:

As previously mentioned, there was an initial idea that poi spinners were dog-on-a-string types, but the main anti-poi sentiment that started the whole thing was a prevalence, in the early days at least, for poi to be spun by people with a remarkable lack of spatial awareness ( and even more so when they got really into what they were doing ). These same folk also tended to own one set of used fire poi and spin them in less-than-brilliantly-lit spaces, two factors which added up to a great many painful collisions with the jugglers in the same space, and just as many disastrous collisions with those same jugglers' patterns. Add this to the fact ( no, face it, it is a fact ) that several basic moves with poi are very simple to perform as compared to the practice required for even straightforward 3-ball juggling and you have a perfect recipe for "our prop is better than yours cos we have to practice more, AND we notice who's around us".
As to club swinging being "OK" and poi aren't; club swinging's been around the juggling scene a lot longer than poi, for one, and there's that whole bit about having to change grips with clubs and work at it long enough to get the flexible wrists you need for smooth circles ( instead of just being lazy and letting the string do it for you, not that any good poi swingers do that... ) which gives it that "practice" element that jugglers approve of.

I didn't spot any of Ewan's notices at BJC, but knowing that it was Ewan goes a long way to explaining how they came to be there, he'd just think it was funny.

On the upside, I have heard ( and have to agree with ) a distinct improvement in atttitude toward the poi community from many jugglers on the basis that y'all are introducing new folk and new enthusiasm to the juggling scene, so stick around, it can only get better ( so long as y'all're careful about that spatial awareness thing )

N.

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

Ewanostranger
11 posts

Posted:
Ello..

My name appears to have been mentioned in this thread, so I registered to have a chat about it with anyone that wants to.

Please list your issues here and I'll get back to you to discuss/rip your post apart in a humorous way after my job interview in which starts in an hour..

Ewano

Ignor me please I crave attention - and white chocolate.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Oh no! I've started something bigger than I wanted to here frown Sorry all, but I stand by my views.

I want to point out that I am not anti-juggling or any other toy. The people at the BJC are great (apart from the people on the bus we were on.... censored angry ) and I am not trying to have a go at any one person. I'm just talking about what *I* though of the BJC.

Written by: PinkNigel

OK, so I'm a club swinger ( and not a poi spinner, so flame me!! )

No smile you have a toy that you like playing with, why would I want to flame you? To do that would reduce me to the leval of the people that put me out at the BJC. I really don't want to do that. hug peace

336 posts

Posted:
Well OK, since you don't like it getting bigger, here's some of your questions answered:

Written by: Sym

Also, getting a bus to the show? WFT? Getting hurried on to an almost empty bus for a 50 minute ride, only to have to wait about for almost an hour before we could see the show (that wasn't amazing) then getting rushed back on to a bus full of drunk idots and brats was very uncool indeed.

The games were ok, but I left because they dragged on loads. One highlight was the 3 leg poi race: Simon and I did the best weave by far, but we didn't win. Still poi in the games is a start.

No firespinning. WTF?

Telling us to get out on Sunday night when we'd paid till Monday morning? Not cool.

Buses to the show: This isn't particularly uncommon, it's very difficult to get the ideal convention location that has all of juggling spaces, camping spaces, showers and toilets aplenty, roofed accomodation for those that prefer not to camp, show venue, lovely big outdoor space for the games and the sunny days... And to get all that and get it cheap when you've got no start-up funds and only a guess at how many folk will turn up? So this year we had to travel to the show. And yea, as I heard it ( from Hayley, so I think this might be what really happened ;o) ) the bus co. f***ed up ( they went to the wrong place to collect folk for the afternoon show, resulting in a knock-on delay for those of us going to the second show ), nothing to do with the BJC orgs, that one..

( I didn't go to the games at all cos I figured they'd drag on loads.. )

The no fire part was an insurance issue. To quote Mini from the juggling convention organiser's yahoo group:"our problem was the insurer absolutely refused to cover it.

we could have allowed fire. but we would not have been covered.

Play are an entirely different set up. they have 100% pre reg.
this makes it a members club and no public are allowed on site. it
completely changes the insurance issues."

It got mentoned somewhere (? In real life. Maybe at the convention meeting?) that this could happen again next year, seeems pretty likely in our modern world of insure everything and wrap us all up in cotton wool to save us from harm. In which case you'll be needing to arrive with your own PLI certificate in order to use your fire toys..

"Get out on Sunday night when we'd paid till Monday morning" Huh? You're just wrong there sunshine. OK, so it meant kipping in the beer tent with associated packing logistic headaches, but you could've been there till Monday..

N.

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:

Buses to the show: This isn't particularly uncommon, it's very difficult to get the ideal convention location that has all of juggling spaces, camping spaces, showers and toilets aplenty, roofed accomodation for those that prefer not to camp, show venue, lovely big outdoor space for the games and the sunny days... And to get all that and get it cheap when you've got no start-up funds and only a guess at how many folk will turn up?

I know smile I've managed it for 3 Festivals over the last 7 years though, and with a lower total budget.

So this year we had to travel to the show. And yea, as I heard it ( from Hayley, so I think this might be what really happened ;o) ) the bus co. f***ed up ( they went to the wrong place to collect folk for the afternoon show, resulting in a knock-on delay for those of us going to the second show ), nothing to do with the BJC orgs, that one..

Well, they can’t help than then. I still didn't like it one bit.

( I didn't go to the games at all cos I figured they'd drag on loads.. )

You're right, they did. I went to have some food in a local cafe because we got fed up.

The no fire part was an insurance issue. To quote Mini from the juggling convention organiser's yahoo group:"our problem was the insurer absolutely refused to cover it.

we could have allowed fire. but we would not have been covered.

Ok, that’s fine. Why was there a fire spinning area marked out on the map then? Did they not know until the last minute? I think I was making a point about the last minute feel to the whole thing. As a matter of interest, I don't enjoy fire spinning anyway, and I didn't go to the BJC to spin fire.

Do we? I wish someone had let Dunc and I know! We might not have worried about the licence and ticket booking systems then! Oh, and I'll scrap the public open day on the Thursday, where the local community can come and do some workshops. And it'll save on staff now I don't have to worry about selling tickets on the gate!

It got mentioned somewhere (? In real life. Maybe at the convention meeting?) that this could happen again next year, seems pretty likely in our modern world of insure everything and wrap us all up in cotton wool to save us from harm. In which case you'll be needing to arrive with your own PLI certificate in order to use your fire toys..

That’s fine. See above, I don't mind that at all. They should tell people about it first though - not the day before everyone turns up.

"Get out on Sunday night when we'd paid till Monday morning" Huh? You're just wrong there sunshine. OK, so it meant kipping in the beer tent with associated packing logistic headaches, but you could've been there till Monday..

At about 6 on Sunday evening Mini said "Haven't you got homes to go to? It's time to go!" In the end I did leave on Monday morning, and camp on the field, not in the bar tent. It was the last thing I wanted to hear though. Maybe if I'd been one of the in-crowd I would have known he didn't mean it, but all I saw is an organiser of an event welling people to go home.

hug smile

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Woohoo, I wasn't expecting an answer to my question - thanks smile

our prop is better than yours cos we have to practice more, AND we notice who's around us".

Emphasis mine.
I'm definately going to have to disagree with the part I've bolded, on the basis that over the course of the BJC I was walked into by so many jugglers too intent on keeping their balls/clubs in the air to make sure no-one was in their way.
It didn't bother me at all, I kind of expect it at a convention, but the average juggler is certainly no more aware of their surroundings than the average poi spinner.

The no fire rule didn't bother me at all, since I'm not really fussed about spinning fire that often, and I had my fire kit with me for a different event.

However, I'd have been more than a bit annoyed if I'd carried my fire stuff and a load of fuel down to the convention specially, only to find out that it wasn't allowed.
I reckon that letting people know where the insurance stands as early as possible would be fantastic, and I'd even go so far as to say that if the organisers aren't sure about the insurance in the month or so running up to the convention (or whenever they get the programme printed, whichever comes first), they should just announce a blanket ban on fire juggling on site.
At least then people would know not to pack their fire kit, and knowing in advance is much better than only finding out when they arrive and go to sign in.

336 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Sym

Do we? I wish someone had let Dunc and I know! We might not have worried about the licence and ticket booking systems then! Oh, and I'll scrap the public open day on the Thursday, where the local community can come and do some workshops. And it'll save on staff now I don't have to worry about selling tickets on the gate!

hug smile

Tee hee!! OK, so Mini was a little wide of the mark with that then..
So how do you get round that fire+general public thing then? Is there actually a fire+public "thing" at all? Are you now getting paranoid that you'll turn up to your site and get told there's no fire this year? ( that last on might just be rhetorical... )

N.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
The public will only be about in the day time, and fire spinning is limited to an area.

If you and anyone else from the BJC wants to talk to us about it you can contact us though the web site: https://www.playfestival.co.uk
or sign me up to the yahoo group if you like: sym at play festival.co dot youkay

As far as Play and the BJC go, none of my comments (apart from the last, quoted one) were from the point of view of play. Even though part of me was thinking about how play does thing and what we could learn from each other, I didn't post here with that point of view.

Just to clear things up smile

mini_mansellnewbie
19 posts

Posted:
3 days before the event i got to read the proposal from teh insurance company..

i chose to have tehm called to very a few of the exlclusions.

one of which was teh words

we exclude insurance cover for any "hazardous activity"

we called a nd tehy specifically excluded fire.

sym can you email me at fire@minimansell dot com with the names of your insurers. i would love to find out who is willing to insure un supervised fire.

we did actually have the right to allow fire if the person doing so could prove explicitely that they had their own personal insurance for persona nd property to the value of 5 million quid.

it would have been cool for you to over hear the conversation where i argued teh case for us just turning a blind eye. and others argued the case for us not going to prison..

and for the sunday night thing. i personally appologise if you did not get the message for sundayt night. oevr 100 people did. but. on an aside. the sunday nigt was not paid for. it was a gift from us to the jugglers..

the fest ended 10pm on sunday.

Page: ......