Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > British Juggling Convention 20th - 23rd April

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
devilstarSILVER Member
blue haired pyrovixen monkey girl!
155 posts

Posted:
At the request of Bubbles, here's the BJC2006 thread.

Many of you know the score, infact it was last year's BJC where I met my first HOP'res & got talked into giving these forums a go. It was my first ever camping convention & I've been hoocked ever since, I even met my partner there eek

There's Juggling & Spinning & Acro & workshops & 24 hr juggling hall & a fireshow & much more, but not least important is it'll be my birthday on the Saterday ubblol they have a lovley & informative website here. Pre-reg is £50 & ends March 7th.

You comming then? weavesmiley juggle biggrin ubblove hug

devil Blue is best, blue is beautiful
If I knew what I was looking for, I would have found it by now, but that would take all the fun out of it. - me
I never wanted to be different. I just wanted to be me - bmeshop.com

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
*retreads the old ground*

Written by: Mint Sauce

how long did it take you to learn the 3 beat weave?

now

how long did it take you to get the 3 ball cascade?

why are we talking about a 3bt weave...?

the most simple pattrns with poi (that involve combinations of circles and not just basic side circles) that people learn first are surely a 2bt weave and the butterfly.

butterfly can take a similar amount of time to teach to the cascade (from a few minutes to a few days).

but i've seen people pick up poi and do a 2bt weave with *no tuition at all*.

i've never seen anyone pick up three balls and juggle them straight off.

variations on the weave and butterfly can be learnt in a much shorter space of time to 3b juggling tricks.

i agree with pretty much everything nigel has said in this thread, hence my not posting up till now smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
*walks into thread....spots another argument about/debate about to erupt....swiftly leaves....**

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
In my mind there is no doubt that juggling is harder. I've had juggling balls for 2 years can I can only do 2 things with them, whereas I picked up poi quickly.

However, does anyone think that just because of that, poi is less worth while?

Or worth banning?

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
its all object manipulation, whichever people decide to learn smile

and its all fun, until we start comparing it all anyway wink , put down the political debate and pick up your toys - whatever they are!

biggrin

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I think the ease at which people learn certain things is very individual. I managed to teach a 10 year old boy a 3 ball cascade in about 15 mins at a festival but he could not for the life of him figure out how to do a 3 beat weave with poi. I was amazed as it took me ages to learn to juggle but I could do a 3 beat weave as soon as I picked poi.

I agree with Strugz. What does it matter? IMO What matters is people have fun and challenge themselves to learn more and more with whichever object they choose to manipulate.

The snobbery (for want of a better word) that grows in each camp is ridiculous. Everyone starts at the bottom and works their way up and we should encourage anyone whatever object they choose to learn whatever skill level they have achieved.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"Everyone starts at the bottom"

Except Glass wink
He was born a deity.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Going back to this from a few pages back...

Written by: TLMB

The games. OK, this one's all down to me :-D In the past, I've hated it when the games drag on and on, so I decided I was going to *try* to keep things moving, and not have any slow team games. But then, you have to try to include "something for everyone", so a games list that contains ball and club juggling, passing, unicycle, diabolo, devil stick, some kids games, a POI game (!! Hope you liked it, I made that one up ;-D ), an acro game, etc etc etc is just never going to be 'short'. I had set a time limit of 1.5 hrs for the games, and I hit it. Short of just blatantly cutting stuff out (and then being faced with a barrage of "why didn't you include XYZ?" questions afterwards), there's not a lot more that can be done to shorten them. If you "wandered off 'cos you got bored" then, hey, I guess you're just not a 'BJC games'-type person, and you made the right decision for you. I know plenty of jugglers who didn't even bother coming to the games (Hi Nigel!)... "all the people all the time" etc blah blah.

i stayed for the entire games, and really enjoyed most of it.

however, the poi game SUCKED ASS.

every spinner i spoke to who watched the games agreed with this opinion. Including the winners of aforementioned suckass game.

i understand that it may be difficult to come up with a good game for poi, but thats no excuse for such a blatantly insulting game. A three legged F*~@ing race????

perhaps the poi game should be thought up by someone who actually understands, or at least respects, the prop in question.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Poi Golf! Void, I will show you this at Bungay if I can get there smile

Maybe it's not a game for the Games though - it can go on a bit.

What about air-wrap indurance?

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
I saw the games as fun....yeah a lot of them were skill based but at the end of the day were we not all there to laugh and enjoy ourselves>?????

And from what i could see everyone involved in the aforementioned poi game had a smile on their face and generally looked like they were having fun.

I personally had a bloody fantastic time,at the games and on sight.Learnt loads of new stuff and generally looked a bit like this biggrinthe whole weekend.

I think everyone learnt a lot from that weekend whether it was the organisers or those of us that just went along to experiment and have fun.

It rocked,and big love for all of those that made the weekend so special for me,you know who you are! biggrin

Just thought it hadnt been said enough thats all..... wink

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
And I was imitimate with Maus in a way most men would be jealous of! biggrin biggrin biggrin

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
ditto what miss Mausy said biggrin

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
ditto

what Neon_Fowl_in_Marinade said wink

ubblol

biggrin

oh and what Maus said smile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Remember I said MOST men

I think you win though Strugz ... ubbangel I was a real gentleman ubbangel

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
ubblol
don't think it was quite the same way tho!
ubblol

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Neon - Yeh dude - to be fair your right, you were quite gentle with me wink

ubblol

ubbangel

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
what? like this: https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showpho...=500&page=1

Gayle.....!

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Hey man...

It's only fair... You let me play with your staff and taught me how to play with mine biggrin

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
redface

Exactly like that Gayle! ubblol

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Except with more gravity-defying positions.... biggrin

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
Oh neon... redface

y'know he really knows how to treat a gal! wink

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Yeah - keep myself WELL CLEAR of them!

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Neon_Fowl_in_Marinade

Hey man...

It's only fair... You let me play with your staff and taught me how to play with mine biggrin

dude - come on!!

i thought i taught you how to play with both of yours, talented individual that you are wink

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Awww Shucks... redface

Yes indeed you did. Thank you once again (Staff(s) wouldn't've sounded half as smutty....:D)

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Look forward to another "staff" session again soon dude....... and yes you can bring your stix as well, although you will have to play with them yourself smile

hahaha this thread is railing for sure - i mean all this stix talk - we havent even moved onto contact yet! ubblol

ubbangel

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
ubblol

*wonders how long the string of innuendos will carry on for**

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Till the day I die...

Or when I get a tall dark testosterone-filled staff-master of my own... ubblove

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
Thought thats what you were using Strugz for???

wink wink

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I don't share.... angry

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
ubblol

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
i do!

ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol

ubbangel

*shall we take this somewhere else wink*

actually saying that - technically its still "juggling"

ubblol

Page: ...