Forums > Social Chat > What happened to the official NEWB thread?

Login/Join to Participate

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
It just disappeared........

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Nope - it's gone and right after I posted to it and all

I'm beginning to think I'm a thread killer...

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
*Quickly ducks in to say hello to Ade before the thread dies a horrible death*

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ok, here's what happened:

I deleted it. I originally wasn't going to say anything, but so many people started asking me what happened that I guess I should probably say something.

I started N.E.W.B. for a few reasons.

1) To get people to go into the intro thread.

2) To try to get it somewhat organized so that newbies didn't have to answer six different strings of random questions

3) To try to stop people from asking really personal questions (questions about sex and sexuality, drug use, etc.).

4) For a laugh.

I think N.E.W.B. served its purpose well. At first, when some people voiced their opposition to it, I thought that they hadn't carefully read the thread. After all, I hadn't told anyone that they couldn't be a N.E.W.B. agent and I wasn't ever planning on doing so. And I didn't feel like I was throwing out a bunch of rules and regs or anything. Just simple common-sense stuff.

But as time went on, more and more people started voicing their discomfort with it. I won't knowingly take part in anything that creates a rift in this community, so I decided to delete the thread and change my signature back.

I still don't understand the discomfort with N.E.W.B., but I don't need to understand why people feel a certain way about something in order for me to appreciate and respect their feelings, anyways. I appreciate their candor in coming forward and speaking their minds. Had they shut up and not said anything, we would have gone blindly forward while they stewed in silence.

I have no beef with anyone who said anything, either. After all, I got rid of the thread because I respect them. And for those who liked N.E.W.B., I hope that you've all realized that you don't need an "official" badge to get into the intro threads and involve newbies.

Now, I originally wanted N.E.W.B. to just kind of vanish without any discussion, because I didn't want people to start pointing fingers and calling some people "cliquish" and others call people "party poopers". So can we please keep the discussion to a minimum so that it doesn't become an all-out war?

Mea Culpa.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Hey babe, I think my post in that thread got disappear-ded, so I will repeat part of it here.

When I first read your thread I took it as a friendly reminder to do my duty and wander back into the intro threads, something I had been neglecting to do for a bit. And I took it as a very fun idea, a very lighthearted reminder.

I wanted to say thankyou.

I also wanted to say that I found the responses of some people (and only some, others who objected were quite reasonable about it even when they objected) very atagonistic and rude. It has made me not want to post in a thread again, or participate in a fun game that someone starts. And that makes me very sad

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Rozi, I don't think it's that way, hun. I think people were being OK, I just think they weren't necessarily coming across right. It's easy to mis-represent the tone of voice that a post should be in when it's in text.

Besides, I'd rather be in denial about it!

And you're safe here! I'll protect you against any meanies with my lightning-quick reflexes (able to dodge a speeding Honda), superhuman agility (I can jump a Toyota in a single bound), and awesome strength (I beat up a Hyundai single-handedly, remember?)

-Mike

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
:smiles : nothing more to say but, i'm sure my gurl Nancy will feel a litter better knowing that there will be no NEWB atacks in her intro thread.
Mike nice post much respect.

the mind gap.old hand
829 posts

Posted:
do you really think it was necessary to delete it though?

the reason i voiced my opinions so forcefully was because no one else seemed to have looked at it from that perspective. and i thought it was not only a valid criticism but also an important one.

that's not to say i was right though. i can certainly see the good newb did and i'm sure it could continue to make hop a more friendly place to be. but i believe every organization should have detractors to ensure that those involved in it don't stop thinking about why they're doing it in the first place.

and i was having fun complaining.
oh well, i guess i'll just have to go and do some work instead

wherever you go, there you are.

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Ahaaaa Underground social anarchist - trying to keep us all on our toes by throwing in an alternative thoughts huh? Nice one!

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

UCOF (emergency)member
129 posts

Posted:
so does this mean im going to have to change my other signiture and that the members of N.E.W.B have disbanded?

erm...this is only a temp account until i get home and get the password to my usual account...sorry (itsa still the same flipping wierdo though)

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by the mind gap:
do you really think it was necessary to delete it though?
AAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!

*Grabbing Mind Gap and throttling him mercilessly*

MAKE UP YOUR MIND (gap)!!!!

-Mike

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by UCOF (emergency):
so does this mean im going to have to change my other signiture and that the members of N.E.W.B have disbanded?
Well, that's a question I think I'm not going to try to answer... But *suddenly turning into one of those fairy queen sort of things from those cheesy 80's fantasy movies* the real N.E.W.B. is within you, young lad!

*turns back into normal ugly self, shakes head in confusion at having turned into a fairy princess, and walks away to spin some poi.*

-Mike

UCOF (emergency)member
129 posts

Posted:
erm.....ok.. i think

erm...this is only a temp account until i get home and get the password to my usual account...sorry (itsa still the same flipping wierdo though)

the mind gap.old hand
829 posts

Posted:
don't tell me you deleted it cos of what i said!

although i believe in what i said, it did only seem to be me that had that much of a problem with it. and i'd have soon got bored with complaining if you'd ignored me.

and the fact that more people enjoyed it than complained about it leads me to assume that it couldn't have been all bad.

i just wanted to make sure people thought about what they were doing and why before jumping on the bandwagon.

sorry if i spoiled your fun
Non-Https Image Link

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
I didn't like it much if that counts. But I'm a quiet fairy and don't want to cause trouble.

for Mike xx

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
I apologise for any discomfort caused... Mind told me he wasnt a fan of the idea and I told him that it would be good if he voiced his opinion to see what happened...

I replied quite annoyed with some of his opinions yet did not understand why it caused such a ruckus being that I dont remember who was SO upset about it.

Anyhow I thought it was a fun and involving idea and I am unsure about deleting the thread but I do believe that thats at the poster + mods discression...

Much love and hugs,
Drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Mind Gap, it was all your fault.

*labored sigh, then sets off to re-start N.E.W.B.*

Just kidding! No, Mind Gap, it was not just you. I actually picked up a bit of an ironic feel from your posts, so I figured that I'd just leave them alone because I thought you might be kidding.

Others, however, were more serious about their discomfort with it and that was what really made me delete the thread.

-Mike

the mind gap.old hand
829 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link
what have i done?
Non-Https Image Link

i've got nothing to complain about now
Non-Https Image Link
all is well with the world
Non-Https Image Link
i'm so unhappy

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
isnt it funny how the world works sometimes?!

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

the mind gap.old hand
829 posts

Posted:
so you think my unhappiness is funny do you?

i thought you loved me
Non-Https Image Link

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
i do...i have a picture of you in my wallet.

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
Just you wait and see...
Patience is a virtue...

Love,
Drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

the mind gap.old hand
829 posts

Posted:
is that the picture of me in the greased pig sacking contest