Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > British Juggling Convention 20th - 23rd April

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
devilstarSILVER Member
blue haired pyrovixen monkey girl!
155 posts

Posted:
At the request of Bubbles, here's the BJC2006 thread.

Many of you know the score, infact it was last year's BJC where I met my first HOP'res & got talked into giving these forums a go. It was my first ever camping convention & I've been hoocked ever since, I even met my partner there eek

There's Juggling & Spinning & Acro & workshops & 24 hr juggling hall & a fireshow & much more, but not least important is it'll be my birthday on the Saterday ubblol they have a lovley & informative website here. Pre-reg is £50 & ends March 7th.

You comming then? weavesmiley juggle biggrin ubblove hug

devil Blue is best, blue is beautiful
If I knew what I was looking for, I would have found it by now, but that would take all the fun out of it. - me
I never wanted to be different. I just wanted to be me - bmeshop.com

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
unsupervised fire??

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Mini, thanks smile

Play Festival (not myself, but Dunc and I have access to it) is now a member of the group (so now I see what people have been saying about my views: "one p****d off guy who's talking a great deal of b*******t" wink )

As I said above, we did stay anyway on the Sunday night.

I hope you understand what I am saying, and that understanding will help make other BJC's better. As for us doing the BJC in 2008? Sure! biggrin Can I reneme it to Play 2008 wink ubblol

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

TLMBstranger
8 posts

Posted:
As one of the BJC organisers, I'd like to address a few of the points raised here.

But firstly thanks to everyone who came, and I'm sorry if anyone didn't have a good time. Five of us spent a *lot* of unpaid time over the last year trying to make sure that people could have as much fun as possible.

OK..... The 'no poi' sign. It wasn't anything to do with Ewan. There was one, afaik, tucked away in a corner behind reception. It was meant as a joke, and it did follow on from the 'no fire' thing. Personally I regret that it was made and put up, 'cos I instantly knew it would antagonise people. But I knew it was 'just a joke' and I couldn't be bothered to argue over something that daft when we had so much other stuff to stress about. Nonetheless, you have my personal apology that it was there, even though I didn't put it there.
Sym, if someone really won't talk to you 'because you do poi', they are, quite simply, a prat, and it's their loss, not yours. Take any bunch of 700 people, and there's bound to be a fair number of pillocks in there. I'm sorry that you seem to have encountered more than your fair share of them.

A poi act in the public show? Believe it or not, this year that was a distinct possibility. It didn't quite come to pass though. I too hope it *will* happen soon. In Perth it was a yo-yoer who stole the show. Who's to say it won't be a swinger next year? I'll make a crass generalisation here, and say that personally I don't 'get' poi myself [or unicycle, or rola-bola, or... whatever], but I'll still admit to enjoying watching some really graceful swingers in action, and I've seen a few really good poi acts too. I'm looking forward to seeing (and introducing) Eccles' act again at Brum this weekend.

Play fliers being taken down? First I've heard of it. If anyone was doing this deliberately, I can assure you it wasn't any of the organisers, and if I'd caught anyone doing it, I'd've given them a serious shouting at. You were quite welcome to put them up, as far as I'm concerned, and I wish you the best of luck with the event.

The public show. Every year, it's a struggle to get the right combination of site/facilities/show venue/whatever, and something always has to give. This year it was the fire fiasco, which mini has covered, and the buses. It's not ideal to have to have two public show sittings, but there wasn't a big enough venue close enough/affordable enough to avoid this. Redruth Cinema cost the BJC a grand total of £900 for the entire day. It was too good a deal to turn down. Yep, the buses effed up royally, and again, I have to apologise to those of you who had to suffer because of that. Last I heard, Hayley was about to phone the bus people and shout at them a lot. And demand a big discount from their fee. Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed the show once you were finally there.

The games. OK, this one's all down to me :-D In the past, I've hated it when the games drag on and on, so I decided I was going to *try* to keep things moving, and not have any slow team games. But then, you have to try to include "something for everyone", so a games list that contains ball and club juggling, passing, unicycle, diabolo, devil stick, some kids games, a POI game (!! Hope you liked it, I made that one up ;-D ), an acro game, etc etc etc is just never going to be 'short'. I had set a time limit of 1.5 hrs for the games, and I hit it. Short of just blatantly cutting stuff out (and then being faced with a barrage of "why didn't you include XYZ?" questions afterwards), there's not a lot more that can be done to shorten them. If you "wandered off 'cos you got bored" then, hey, I guess you're just not a 'BJC games'-type person, and you made the right decision for you. I know plenty of jugglers who didn't even bother coming to the games (Hi Nigel!)... "all the people all the time" etc blah blah.

Poi workshops. I was the person who was organising the workshops. My email address was on the BJC website for 6 months. *One* person emailed and offered a poi workshop. Nuff said. I hope it went well.

Anyway, I've waffled on a lot here, but I'll close by saying that I hope all you fluffy spinning people will continue to come to BJCs, and other juggling conventions. I've seen a lot of cross-prop fertilisation in the past few years, and it can only be a good thing for all of us. If we stagnate, we die.

I look forward to seeing all your photos when you guys post them. There are others here, in case you haven't seen them:

https://void.moleseyjugglers.co.uk/tlmb/BJCKernow
https://www.guyheathcote.com/BJC2006_Bodmin.html
https://www.lightfantastic.org.uk/Photo%27s/BJC%202006/index.htm
https://www.danielmitchell.net/sgal/index.php?gallery=./bjc2006
https://www.colyer.plus.com/z-bjc2006/

The Void
Mixing the colours

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
 Written by: TLMB

As one of the BJC organisers, I'd like to address a few of the points raised here.

But firstly thanks to everyone who came, and I'm sorry if anyone didn't have a good time. Five of us spent a *lot* of unpaid time over the last year trying to make sure that people could have as much fun as possible.

Thank you smile I know what it's like, and I know a lot of work goes in to these events. Nothing I have said is meant as a personal attack on you, the other 4, or anyone else who helps bring the BJC together. I hope it wasn't taken like in that way.

OK..... The 'no poi' sign. It wasn't anything to do with Ewan. There was one, afaik, tucked away in a corner behind reception. It was meant as a joke, and it did follow on from the 'no fire' thing. Personally I regret that it was made and put up, 'cos I instantly knew it would antagonise people. But I knew it was 'just a joke' and I couldn't be bothered to argue over something that daft when we had so much other stuff to stress about. Nonetheless, you have my personal apology that it was there, even though I didn't put it there.

Again, Thanks. And again, I know that wasn't a sign from the BJC, but a sign someone put up. It didn't ruin my event, and I ignored it, but It's not nice to go to an event that you paid £50 for, to be told you can't play with your toy or feel like you're sub-standard somehow. This is a wider issue with jugglers vs spinners: an argument I think is pointless.

Sym, if someone really won't talk to you 'because you do poi', they are, quite simply, a prat, and it's their loss, not yours. Take any bunch of 700 people, and there's bound to be a fair number of pillocks in there. I'm sorry that you seem to have encountered more than your fair share of them.

Yes, I know smile

A poi act in the public show? Believe it or not, this year that was a distinct possibility. It didn't quite come to pass though. I too hope it *will* happen soon. In Perth it was a yo-yoer who stole the show. Who's to say it won't be a swinger next year? I'll make a crass generalisation here, and say that personally I don't 'get' poi myself [or unicycle, or rola-bola, or... whatever], but I'll still admit to enjoying watching some really graceful swingers in action, and I've seen a few really good poi acts too. I'm looking forward to seeing (and introducing) Eccles' act again at Brum this weekend.

Dude, good luck finding someone who can hyperloop (or whatever the yo-yo term is for it) as well as him biggrin I still remember that. The public show should be a selection of the best performers you can get. The focus should be on enjoyment not spread of toys. Anyone who would put a show down because it doesn't include X falls in the same category as the people above IMHO. Having Poi in it would should acceptance, but I've not really seen enough poi performance to know if they are of the same standard (thinks about starting another style vs tech debate, stops.).

You might be interested in the tepooka show, I can't speak for them, but they are coming to play and I know that are great smile

Play fliers being taken down? First I've heard of it. If anyone was doing this deliberately, I can assure you it wasn't any of the organisers, and if I'd caught anyone doing it, I'd've given them a serious shouting at. You were quite welcome to put them up, as far as I'm concerned, and I wish you the best of luck with the event.

Thats what I thought you'd say: I couldn't see why you would have a problem with it. If I did think you might have a problem, I would have asked. I'm still unsure what happened to them. confused

The public show. Every year, it's a struggle to get the right combination of site/facilities/show venue/whatever, and something always has to give. This year it was the fire fiasco, which mini has covered, and the buses. It's not ideal to have to have two public show sittings, but there wasn't a big enough venue close enough/affordable enough to avoid this. Redruth Cinema cost the BJC a grand total of £900 for the entire day. It was too good a deal to turn down. Yep, the buses effed up royally, and again, I have to apologise to those of you who had to suffer because of that. Last I heard, Hayley was about to phone the bus people and shout at them a lot. And demand a big discount from their fee. Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed the show once you were finally there.

I hope she manages it smile

The games. OK, this one's all down to me :-D In the past, I've hated it when the games drag on and on, so I decided I was going to *try* to keep things moving, and not have any slow team games. But then, you have to try to include "something for everyone", so a games list that contains ball and club juggling, passing, unicycle, diabolo, devil stick, some kids games, a POI game (!! Hope you liked it, I made that one up ;-D ), an acro game, etc etc etc is just never going to be 'short'. I had set a time limit of 1.5 hrs for the games, and I hit it. Short of just blatantly cutting stuff out (and then being faced with a barrage of "why didn't you include XYZ?" questions afterwards), there's not a lot more that can be done to shorten them. If you "wandered off 'cos you got bored" then, hey, I guess you're just not a 'BJC games'-type person, and you made the right decision for you. I know plenty of jugglers who didn't even bother coming to the games (Hi Nigel!)... "all the people all the time" etc blah blah.

Yeah, I didn't mind at all. Hunger and heat got the better of me, so I went to the nice cafe over the road. They were still going strong and I wanted to watch them frown

Poi workshops. I was the person who was organising the workshops. My email address was on the BJC website for 6 months. *One* person emailed and offered a poi workshop. Nuff said. I hope it went well.

Oooh, who do I contact about next years? I've sure we could get some great workshops going. Have a look at the play forum for some idea of what I'm talking about.

Anyway, I've waffled on a lot here, but I'll close by saying that I hope all you fluffy spinning people will continue to come to BJCs, and other juggling conventions. I've seen a lot of cross-prop fertilisation in the past few years, and it can only be a good thing for all of us. If we stagnate, we die.

ditto I'm not sure if I'll be able to go next year (I don't tent to plan that far in advanced) but this year would only be a small factor, the largest being the other people I know going.

Are you coming to play?
EDITED_BY: Sym (1146680937)

Clackheadnewbie
2 posts

Posted:

Greets from the n00b who wasn't at Bodmin, but has it occurred to anyone that the Play fliers might have been removed by people interested in attending, and wanted details?

Just a thought.

Somebody please tell me how to turn the fecking smilies off. It's like a fecking grinning competition in Bedlam round here.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:

Let's relight this forum ubblove

TLMBstranger
8 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Sym

Poi workshops....

Oooh, who do I contact about next years?

Keep your eyes on www.bjc2007.co.uk . I expect there'll be a workshops page and address when a real site goes up.

Are you coming to play?

Nope. That's high summer: I'll be working. I'd guess it would effectively cost me about £800 to go, so alas, no. Just watched the avi from last year - the fire wheelbarrows look fantastic!

The Void
DiabOlo has two 'O's, btw.

JtJCheck ya later
500 posts

Posted:
It seems the great divide is slowly vanishing . . . wink

Jake the Juggler

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Clackhead

Greets from the n00b who wasn't at Bodmin, but has it occurred to anyone that the Play fliers might have been removed by people interested in attending, and wanted details?

Just a thought.

Or from sexually depraved hippies who want to fantasize about my exposed nipples... wink ubblol

devil

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

JtJCheck ya later
500 posts

Posted:
don't flatter yourself wink

Jake the Juggler

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:

This hasn't been said enough in this thread - I had a fantastic time, thank you to everyone who put any time or effort into it biggrin

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
i can put a nail up my nose smile

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Yeh id agree - although BJC had a few minor hiccups - hey dont all festivals!

Good work on organising, working for nothing can be tiering and stressfull hey Sym wink

*looks at Dunc* ubblol

As for the NO POI sign - damn i didnt see that frown good work by whoever put it up - it should have been next to the NO JUGGLING sign as you should all have been doing staff anyway!! ubbloco

biggrin

grouphug

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:

Oooh, who do I contact about next years? I've sure we could get some great workshops going. Have a look at the play forum for some idea of what I'm talking about.

seeing as peachi (who also runs the fundango one-dayers) is one of the organisers of next years' bjc, and its going to be in nottingham, i don't reckon there will be any chance of a lack of poi workshops... smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

ZeeBooBRONZE Member
167 posts

Posted:
Whilst the BJC organisers are hanging around could you tell me why the games where help in Bodmin rather than on site.
It just seemed strange that there was a lovely green grassy area with food & beer on tap (lovely beer by the way) and you marched everyone into town.

I didn't mind at all as it left me a big green grassy field with beer on tap to play in which was lovely but I did wonder why you had done it.

Just because I'm an adult doesn't make me responsible.

JtJCheck ya later
500 posts

Posted:
Because it is for public viewing, along with the street performances.

Jake the Juggler

ZeeBooBRONZE Member
167 posts

Posted:
Since when?

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
carrots were orange smile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Since the 16th century?

mini_mansellnewbie
19 posts

Posted:
Historically the games where at the end of the parade into town and where done as a thanks to the town for any financial assistance that the town had provided.

the BJC just gone was the 19th. so i think the precident had already been set.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
ubblol ubbrollsmile ubblol

sort my login out Sym!

hug

***i take that back - you already have****

kiss

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mags The Jedi

Written by: Clackhead

Has it occurred to anyone that the Play fliers might have been removed by people interested in attending, and wanted details?

Just a thought.

Or from sexually depraved hippies who want to fantasize about my exposed nipples... wink ubblol

devil

Dammit, I've been found out.... eek

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

TLMBstranger
8 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ZeeBoo

Whilst the BJC organisers are hanging around could you tell me why the games where help in Bodmin rather than on site.

Jake's right, essentially. When the organisers are trying to get a site each year, it's very probable that they'll be dealing with the local council at some stage.

An imaginary conversation, that's probably not too far off the mark...
Them:"So what's in it for us?"
Us:"You get a public show!"
Them:"Yes, but people have to pay for that."
Us:"Oh okay then, how about we put on a nice free fun show in town one afternoon then?"
Them:"Ah, that's more like it. Splendid! Please come to our town."

It also helps to partly distinguish the conventions from year to year. "Do you remember that year we were in a big gym?". "Errrr.... what all of them?".

You are, of course, welcome to stay in a gym/field/big top that afternoon if that's what you prefer. The games have been known to take place in the gym in the event of bad weather. (Norwich '95, iirc).

The Void
I might as well plug Bungay while I'm at it.

ZeeBooBRONZE Member
167 posts

Posted:
fairy nuff

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:

Since the 16th century?

Why thank you Sym, my head is already filled with useless garbage and random bits of obscure information*, and now I know loads about carrots too...

N.

* Cos yea, that REALLY sets me apart from every other juggler you've ever met..

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
 Written by: PinkNigel

Add this to the fact ( no, face it, it is a fact ) that several basic moves with poi are very simple to perform as compared to the practice required for even straightforward 3-ball juggling

i seriously disagree

poi is not symple or easy

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

Harry_PotterToadStool Circus Acts
181 posts

Posted:
Doing the weave is easy. Id agree.

Yo-yoist, Staffer and 3 Ball and Club Juggling
'Its people like us, who make them feel talentless.'

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
how long did it take you to learn the 3 beat weave?
now
how long did it take you to get the 3 ball cascade?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
rolleyes

Here we go again...

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Page: ...